Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 13:56   #1
BHPian

BS-VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018

Oil companies yesterday have announced that BS6 fuel will be available from 1st April 2018 in Delhi NCR. This would result in reduction of pollution from vehicles going down from 40-80% across different categories of vehicles, provided the vehicles are also BS6 compliant. While the pollution reduction may be very minor in case of BS4 vehicles using BS6 fuel. Now keeping aside the pollution part, is there any risk or negative effect to BS4 vehicles by using BS6 fuel specially the diesel vehicles?
raja_ys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

BS VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018

In the wake of rising pollution levels in Delhi and its surrounding areas, the ministry of petroleum and natural gas has decided to introduce BS VI grade fuel in the national capital territory (NCT) of Delhi from April 1, 2018. The oil marketing companies have also been notified to examine the possibility of introduction of the BS VI grade fuel in the whole of Delhi-NCR from April 1, 2019.

BS-VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018-petrolmapsofindiaimage.jpg

BS IV grade fuel was made available in the country from April 1, 2017. It was then decided to skip BS V altogether and upgrade to BS VI by the year 2020. Despite the recent developments, the time frame for the nationwide availability of cleaner BS VI grade petrol and diesel remains unchanged. It now seems like BS VI grade fuels would likely be introduced throughout the country in phases by April 1, 2020.

Meanwhile, auto makers have welcomed the government’s decision to roll out BS VI fuels ahead of plan, giving them sufficient time to introduce BS VI compliant vehicles into the market. BS VI compliant engines are mandated from April 1, 2020. However, it is claimed by some manufacturers that using BS IV fuel on a BS VI vehicle will have adverse effects on the engine. This will restrict the movement of vehicles to the NCT region till the new fuel is available pan India.

Earlier, the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) had claimed that BS VI grade fuels would help reduce particulate matter emissions by 89% and NOx emissions by 76% in 2-wheelers. In cars, these emissions would be reduced by 82% and 68% respectively.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Effect of BS6 fuel on BS4 Vehicles

It needs to be clarified by the agencies regarding use of BS6 fuel in a BS4 engine and it's advantages as well as disadvantages. I had asked a question to Hormazd Sorabji and he replied this.

BS-VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018-screenshot_20171116140227.jpg

But we need a government agency to come clear on this. Moreover, with BS6 available only in Delhi-NCR, I wonder what would be the effect of mixing BS4 and BS6 fuel when an outstation vehicle visits Delhi-NCR.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 16th November 2017 at 14:10.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Effect of BS6 fuel on BS4 Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Another half cooked policy update?

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/what-happ...-versa-1775932

If what the article says is indeed true, then given that we still don't have BS-VI diesel vehicles (widely?) available in the market, not only existing but even the new cars might see their longevity substantially reduced and/or increased maintenance costs!
And all this, when automakers believe that just shifting to BS-VI fuel may not see pollution levels dropped significantly. (not to mention the IITK study which puts passenger-vehicle contribution to PM 2.5 at 10% of the total pollution)

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/mUT...-in-Delhi.html
Cross-posting myself from a different thread where same concern was raised...
Old 16th November 2017, 14:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS-VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018

Good. Now bring in the BS6 compliant, DPF equipped cars!

On the flip side, I read that using the ultra low sulphur BS6 fuels in our current BS4 cars actually reduces the efficiency of the catalytic converter. In essence, they will actually end up polluting more than what they currently do.

I drove from Delhi to Jammu and back over the past week. Delhi air, however bad it is, is actually better in comparison. Rest of Haryana and Punjab, it is actually unbreathable. Even as close to Delhi as Murthal, the difference is stark - there is so much more smoke and your eyes start to water the moment you step out of your car. Stubble burning is rampant, you can see vast stretches of land alight all along the highway - Sonipat, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Mandi, Ludhiana... its more of the same everywhere. This happens in broad daylight. This madness is basically everywhere, right upto after Jalandhar. Post Mukerian, where there is much less agriculture and hardly any industry, the air suddenly becomes clean again. Jammu actually had blue skies - a sight extremely rare in Delhi at any time of the year.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th November 2017 at 14:17.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 10:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: BS-VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Good. Now bring in the BS6 compliant, DPF equipped cars!

On the flip side, I read that using the ultra low sulphur BS6 fuels in our current BS4 cars actually reduces the efficiency of the catalytic converter. In essence, they will actually end up polluting more than what they currently do.
Not sure of what you are saying, but that takes me to the next question - Are catalytic converters good for the car life and do not require any kind of checking / testing / replacement during the useful life of a vehicle?

I could not even find any such recommendation in the owner's manual also.
Old 17th November 2017, 10:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

We never bothered about the effects on engine life. Did we even think for a moment when he brought in Unleaded. It is well known that switching to unleaded can severely degrade/damage the valve seats. We went through without a thought.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 10:58   #8
BHPian

I am not sure how is this possible. The current BSIV engines are not capable of burning BSVI fuel hence, how will the emissions be reduced.

It's like a 8th class student giving 10th Boards and then expecting him to score 90%.

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 17th November 2017, 12:27   #9
BHPian

BS6 Fuel In BS4 car might have long term effect on fuel injectors
BS4 fuel in BS6 car might clog the diesel particulate filters

The article says that Sulphur acts as the lubricant for injectors.

The following article says that the process of removing Sulphur degrades the fuel's lubricity.
https://www.marship.eu/why-diesel-fuel-is-drying-out

We just have to research and find out the truth and not go by media reports.

Last edited by Alfresco : 17th November 2017 at 12:31.
Alfresco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 23:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Not sure of what you are saying, but that takes me to the next question - Are catalytic converters good for the car life and do not require any kind of checking / testing / replacement during the useful life of a vehicle?
Catalytic converters are supposed to be for life, and they do not require any periodic maintenance to the best of my knowledge.
Old 18th November 2017, 19:32   #11
BHPian

I'm sure the air purification systems on Lexus cars had a tough time purifying the NCR smog. Just hope there's a incineration mechanism in place by next year for all the stubble processing. It is achievable over a years time across the states IMO.

Diesel should be treated the same way too. Compulsory DPF on all new diesel vehicles. It's anyway been de-subsidized & it's cost burden already shifted on end consumers.

Last edited by Ford5 : 18th November 2017 at 19:35.
Old 11th December 2017, 09:48   #12
BHPian

https://news.maxabout.com/cars/delhi...n=All+Posts+v4

Came across this in the news, this could mean we have to avoid diesel engines which are BS IV.
Dramitn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 12:19   #13
BHPian

In light of this news, is it really that bs 4 fuel will not be available in Delhi?
I ask because I read a few of the articles mentioning drawbacks and negative effects of using the bs 6 fuel in bs 4 cars.
It also states that diesel vehicles will have face more negative effects than petrol vehicles.
Should one buy a new bs4 diesel vehicle in Delhi in light of these developments and news?
Old 27th March 2018, 15:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

According to a media report, state-run fuel retailers have started selling BS-VI grade fuels in Delhi, days ahead of schedule. It has been reported that around 397 petrol pumps in the national capital are currently selling BS-VI grade petrol and diesel. With this, Delhi has become the first city in India to switch to the more cleaner BS-VI grade fuels.

BS-VI fuel to be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018-pp_720x540.jpg

In November 2017, the government had announced that BS-VI fuels would be available in Delhi from April 1, 2018 - 2 years ahead of the scheduled country-wide launch. The decision was taken in the wake of rising pollution levels in the city, especially during the stubble-burning season. By 2019, BS-VI fuels will be available in NCR and in the rest of India by April 1, 2020.

The BS-VI fuels have 10 ppm Sulphur, whereas BS-IV grade contains 50 ppm Sulphur. Incase of petrol, apart from the reduction in the Sulphur content, the lead content has gone down from 0.005 g/l to 0.001g/l. According to oil companies, thanks to the low sulphur and lead content, BS-VI fuels produce cleaner emissions than vehicles running on CNG, provided the engines are tuned for the fuel.

In January 2016, the government had decided to skip BS-V and directly launch BS-VI fuels in the country by 2020.

Source: ET Auto

Last edited by Aditya : 27th March 2018 at 16:55.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 15:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post

BS6 Fuel In BS4 car might have long term effect on fuel injectors
BS4 fuel in BS6 car might clog the diesel particulate filters

The article says that Sulphur acts as the lubricant for injectors.

The following article says that the process of removing Sulphur degrades the fuel's lubricity.
https://www.marship.eu/why-diesel-fuel-is-drying-out

We just have to research and find out the truth and not go by media reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
https://news.maxabout.com/cars/delhi...n=All+Posts+v4

Came across this in the news, this could mean we have to avoid diesel engines which are BS IV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
In light of this news, is it really that bs 4 fuel will not be available in Delhi?
I ask because I read a few of the articles mentioning drawbacks and negative effects of using the bs 6 fuel in bs 4 cars.
It also states that diesel vehicles will have face more negative effects than petrol vehicles.
Should one buy a new bs4 diesel vehicle in Delhi in light of these developments and news?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It needs to be clarified by the agencies regarding use of BS6 fuel in a BS4 engine and it's advantages as well as disadvantages. I had asked a question to Hormazd Sorabji and he replied this.

But we need a government agency to come clear on this. Moreover, with BS6 available only in Delhi-NCR, I wonder what would be the effect of mixing BS4 and BS6 fuel when an outstation vehicle visits Delhi-NCR.
Gentlemen, please read this thread and let us know what you think: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...v-engines.html

Fellow BHP-ian Pious_devil opines that BS VI diesel shouldn't damage BS IV engines, provided the lubricity of diesel is maintained by oil marketing companies via sulfur-substituting additives.

Unlike what media outlets would have us believe, BS VI diesel may not damage BS IV engines after all. I'm just seeking more eyes on Pious_devil's hypothesis; I'm a new BS IV diesel car owner by the way. I hope he's right and he seems to be right!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks