Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R Trouble

Just got the delivery of Wagon R Duo Lxi, white. Must say it looks spectacular compared to the older ones.

There is one small problem. The gear shift is quite rough. I haven't driven too many Wagon Rs but I still feel this is not as smooth as it ought to be. When switching gears, it gives you the same feeling as you would get when the clutch cable is spoiled, or you're running low on clutch fluid. Also, while shifting, the plastic console surrounding the gear stick shakes. Is this normal?

The car was delivered by a driver from the dealership. He was not very kind with the gears, and was changing them quite forcefully. Also, the car had driven 90km by the time it got to me.

On calling the dealer, he said that the gear shift will smoothen over use, and this is perfectly normal. If it isn't is this covered by Maruti under warranty?
Old 2nd December 2006, 13:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

B&T, the plastics are quite flimsy and do shake but not as if they arent screwed on.
Also WagonR's shift quality is on the lower side. It's not the best of the boxes available.
Other than that it will become smoother after the run in period most definitely.
Probably you could get it checked up at 1st service.
Old 2nd December 2006, 14:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

The shift will get better after some running in...

In my wagonR, the shift is not too good... But... Its not that bad either... Wont have to curse it... Mine is almost 2 years old... I feel it gets beter weith time...
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ah ok. Thanks guys, that sure is some relief. Otherwise, not such a bad car I would think.
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Ah ok. Thanks guys, that sure is some relief. Otherwise, not such a bad car I would think.
Congrates for the new car.
It is not such a bad car but the excellent small car.
Is this car for your personal use ? what about Tata Sierra ?

Mugen.
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not a bad car... Its a very good car...

As for me, i wanted the Swift... But.. Ended up with the wagonR... But.. now, am so in love with it...

Its one of the best family cars around... Great ac, really comfortable for long rides, more than spacious enough for four, and the great for in-city use too...
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:21   #7
BHPian

Hi,

It happens with me as well. When I got my Santro, I was feeling the same that is, while changing gear, even with clutch fully disenganged, it seems it hasn't and it feels as if gear shift is offering resistance. It's proabably because difference in the feel with outgoing old car (as in my case) and a touch wood car. A differenent clutch (gap) setting in a new car also plays it's part here. It's typically higher gap in new car.

Drive to your dealer workshop and ask him to give you a few try with a couple of clutch settings. I'm sure, you'll be able to find a pleasent setting but very likely it will be little short in term of smoothness as compared to your previous car. It will get better with the use.

Cheers,
nispatel
Old 3rd December 2006, 09:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
the car had driven 90km by the time it got to me.
This is definitely something which cannot be accepted when you are talking about a brand new car!! Ask the dealer to explain the reason for that. Normally they do only a small round at the time of Pre-Delivery Inspection. At the most this cannot cross 10kms unless otherwise the car had serious inherant trouble (they may take more test rounds while rectifying the faults) when it is delivered to the dealer from factory. But still the reading you mentioned is not ignorable. Also, possibilities are there that your car would have made rounds as 'demo car' ( as this is 'duo') to many customers and in that case all of them wud have driven it in their own style resulting worst gear shifting and loose gear console.

Inform this to factory and try hard to get the best compensation.
Poor shift quality and loose console problems can be rectified easliy by any maruti mechanic upto any other new car's level.
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

One known bug with wagonR is for its rough gearshift. another is when you are in top speed if you need to take turns or try to stop the vehicle suddenly it has safety issues. But otherwise its a great car.

Don't worry after 1 or 2 services gearshift will be better than what you feel right now, but we can't compare its gearshift with santro and pailo or swift.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd December 2006, 20:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

What ?a car purchase by T-BHPian & we, the 'gurus' were not even consulted ? thats bad, you know ? LOL

Congrats on buying a great car. Yes, the shift is a little rough, but i promise you, you will get used to it very soon.
Old 4th December 2006, 02:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What ?a car purchase by T-BHPian & we, the 'gurus' were not even consulted ? thats bad, you know ? LOL

I think it's a company car & hence no information. Anyways congrats on the new car Ajay!! And yes the gear shift of the car is pretty sad so I guess you'll just have to learn to adjust!
Old 4th December 2006, 09:47   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, the car had driven 90km by the time it got to me.
A new car running 90 kms before it gets to you feels odd..!!
i seriously feel that u need to talk to the dealer and find out why it ran that much.

Besides, congrats on the new car, and plz do get back to us on how the 'duo' is keeping up in terms of running costs. Quite a few friends of mine were actually looking for info on the same,
Old 5th December 2006, 05:02   #13
BANNED

But recently I drove a WagonR VXi which had cloaked about 44,000 KMS and I felt that the gearshift was not at all bad.

Anyway, Congrats for the new WagonR and don't forget to write a review.

Most Viewed