Team-BHP - Crackdown on out-of-state cars in Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Crackdown on out-of-state cars in Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/193922-crackdown-out-state-cars-chennai-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGK (Post 4333672)
It is a kind of harassment only. My car was having a plastic license plate (got from Bangalore) and was fined Rs 100/-. The cop was arguing, "Sir, fancy plate. Not as per govt :eek: specification". So, I replaced with Signsindia plate. Other district tourist taxis and political party vehicles are mostly let free.

I was stopped once for a plain embossed metal plate, and told that the embossing is illegal, and forced to get a flat one, so the signs india one might not also be entirely cop proof

Any person can move his/her non home state (i will be using home state term for the state where you have registered your vehicle) vehicle for a period of 11 months from the date of moving in. Now the story is how to prove when you moved in?
You can prove it by -
1. Toll Receipts/Fast Tag SMSs/Movers & Packers Receipt
2. Pollution certificate of the home state
3. Insurance Papers issued from your home state

A NOC is only required when you want to change your registration number from one state to another if you are staying for longer period of time. No one can ask for NOC for other state vehicles and fine a person for its non availability.

One way to solve this regular checks is either get the registration number of the new state by getting a NOC from your home state and pay for Registration Number and Life Time Tax (Road Tax) which is calculated on the age of your vehicle. It is very problematic and hectic task to do. After getting approval you need to apply for the refund of road tax from your home state too.

The other easier way to move your vehicle is to pay road tax of your present state and move the vehicle tension free. In this case your registration number will not change. Although some states ask for NOC from the home state too. But in Bangalore many people are using this one or proving that they are not in or for more than 11 months.

Regards,
makmaddy17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGK (Post 4333672)
It is a kind of harassment only. My car was having a plastic license plate (got from Bangalore) and was fined Rs 100/-. The cop was arguing, "Sir, fancy plate. Not as per govt :eek: specification". So, I replaced with Signsindia plate. Other district tourist taxis and political party vehicles are mostly let free.

Signal jump, Not wearing helmets and Photostat copy of license are some of the common reasons.

They feel that other district drivers are easily vulnerable and better target for bribes. I sent an email to home secretary as well, but no improvement.

If the pic is of your car, I'm afraid, that looks like a fancy plate. You cant make out 9 from 2 or the photo is not clear.
Its good you got standard number plates made, just to prevent any untoward incidents with cops again.

Quote:

Its good you got standard number plates made, just to prevent any untoward incidents with cops again.
It is good to have standard number plate not to prevent from any untoward incidents with cops, but it is the law. When you compromise on law there is high chance that law enforcement will have a keen eye to help you fix it.

How is this an harassment when I flaunt a law and i am fined for the same. Beats me. Sorry for being abrupt but this is not harassment, this is why they are employed to crack down on people who do not follow basic law.

The point RGK makes about political party and tourist taxis, i agree.

Quote:

Signal jump, Not wearing helmets and Photostat copy of license are some of the common reasons.
And if someone is caught for doing these violations, it is not harassment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4333071)
The thing with India is, people go all ga ga when rules are introduced thinking there will be a change, things will change, country will change, the new government is revolutionary, evolutionary but the thing is, they are handing over the enforcement of these rules to the very thugs for whom nothing has changed, neither how they enforce the rules, neither how they will be persecuted if someone complains against them or neither corruption at their end.

These fools will enforce rules as they deem fit because with more rules, evil and unnecessary power has come to their hands, couple that with the lawless court system in this country, a normal working man cannot take holidays from work to fight court cases for weeks and years, hence he has to succumb to this thuggery by paying up even if he is not at fault or if a bribe is asked.

The rule book of this country is built to accommodate corruption, from top to bottom!

It is sheer lack of political will.

Income tax treaties, which are also known as Double Taxation Avoidance agreements (DTAA) are entered with other countries to stop double taxation as well as to avoid evasion of taxes.

India has signed DTAAs with 88 countries and here we are forced to pay road tax in each and every state.

If we could sign these agreements with 88 countries, is it so difficult to have treaties or some kind of reciprocal agreements between states.?

Waseem.

I always take these NOC issues as nothing but harassment or money extortion schemes by local cops of different states. For instance no matter where is your car registered, you can drive freely in NCR and no one actually stops you and ask for NOC, but rather its the other way round in MH, KA, TN, TL etc. I firmly believe that if you have a proper private registered number plate, you are authorised to drive anywhere in India. Its advisable but not a law that you need to re register your vehicle unless it is being transferred to another state. Or else NCR cars might be the most affected ones, carrying different numbers of 3 different states.

An app like 'CarInfo' may not be 100% accurate but good enough to find owner of the vehicle registered anywhere in India. So why doesn't the cops use such techniques to find the owner and its pointers? Just a thought!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrman (Post 4333847)
If the pic is of your car, I'm afraid, that looks like a fancy plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 4333854)
How is this an harassment when I flaunt a law and i am fined for the same.

And if someone is caught for doing these violations, it is not harassment.

@vW2010 - you have got it wrong. No one is above the law and cops are free to question everyone. The point here is why do they target other district vehicles regularly. On Saturday 6th Jan, I saw two maxi cab vans (TN 23 registrations) were questioned near the Metro pillar opp to Ashok Leyland office. If they see out of Chennai registrations, they are pulled over.

As I mentioned points 1 to 4 are regular check-ups especially for two-wheelers and it is nothing to do with harassment.

@hrman - Yes I edited the photo to reduce the size. Posting the original here. When I was questioned, one of the cops said, " everything is correct only, the plate is plastic so it is fancy". Another guy was saying, "the letter Z is designed and not acceptable". I have paid penalty(each time 100/-) two times so far, till I switched to the standard plate. I also agree this is definitely on the fancy side and it is my duty to change. My friend who drives often to Chennai (Coimbatore license plate - Italic square font) was caught few times as well. Now he is not being questioned for number plate as these Italic square font is used now by Chennaites also.

My point here is, I would have easily got away with it if my vehicle had a local number.

I was once stopped in Andhra [my home state] with a KA number board in 2015.
All documents and toll receipts were presented to prove that the car entered only 3 days ago.
Cop asked for 500/- and I asked for reason and receipt.
he said he is very busy and had no time to argue.
I said I have all the time in the world and will wait for him to come back to my case.
Waited for 15 minutes and he said 'give 100 go'. I only smiled and sat.
He got angry and asked me to get out of his sight and I did :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGK (Post 4335074)
.....I would have easily got away with it if my vehicle had a local number.

Well, look at it this way; if you follow the law, there will be nothing to get away with anywhere you go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4335231)
Well, look at it this way; if you follow the law, there will be nothing to get away with anywhere you go.

What I meant was, the locally registered vehicles are not on the radar. There is no question of breaking the law at any point in time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGK (Post 4335282)
What I meant was, the locally registered vehicles are not on the radar.

And what I meant was, if we're on the right side of the law, it makes no difference who is or isn't being targeted.

Law enforcement bias can't be avoided, but giving them an opportunity to target oneself can be.

Even though I don't have outside state Vehicle, I have heard this feedback and also have observed traffic cops stopping mostly KA & AP cars and asking for all documents and finally if everything is in place, minimum Rs 100.

Anyone reading this post - One sure shot junction of being stopped is post ITC Grand Chola in Chennai - Road which goes towards Raj Bhavan
I everyday see Cars with other state number plates being stopped at this junction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virgovencat (Post 4336069)
Anyone reading this post - One sure shot junction of being stopped is post ITC Grand Chola in Chennai - Road which goes towards Raj Bhavan
I everyday see Cars with other state number plates being stopped at this junction.

Exactly. This is what I have mentioned. The location is opposite to Ashok Leyland office on the GST road (after you cross ITC Chola). This is the default spot in South Chennai where all other state/district vehicles are stopped and questioned.

The issue of stopping the outside state vehicles was there for a long time and they may increase the check mostly during the New Year time.

My house tenant is from neighbouring AP and he sold his new AP registered Honda Unicorn and bought a new TN registered Honda Unicorn, all because of the harassments at the hands of police. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 4332337)
This is bad news. I have driven my car down there from West Bengal so many times and had never faced this issue. Will need to think twice before I go next time if this becomes the norm :-(

Agreed. Ive driven all over south India and have been lucky not to be stopped.

Also, if the trip is under 14 days, the cops cannot fleece you, unless one breaks the rules such as overspeeding, etc