Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2018, 11:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Why I chose a Maruti

I've owned 5 Maruti cars and 2 of them were bought when we had a tough choice deciding. The reasons may sound crazy but listing my experiences below.

1: When I got my Swift in 2016, I made it a point to test drive Hyundai i20, the Volkswagen Polo and just for the heck of it the Bolero. Why I got the Swift ? Because I wanted a petrol mill, reasonable pricing and (many mock Maruti for this) availability of a limited edition model called the ' Deca '. Not a fan of body graphics or body kits, but definitely took the mats,seat covers, DVD player with Bluetooth function and footwell lights. Result - Got a good deal on the VXI model with all the extras at reasonably great price once i omitted body kits and stickers. (i20 with all bells and whistles was a good 85000/- costlier). Polo could've been an obvious choice with enough kit and heavy discounts but I'm in my late 20's and I do need to keep upgrading and need maximum value for my car when I trade it in.

2. This one is not mine, but my grandmother's car but I handled the purchase and the car till she got a driver. The decision making was left to me since I incessantly talked about cars and was recommended by father ( because apparently I screen the car thoroughly, sigh, a little do they know about the TeamBHP PDI checklist, lol ). Needs were simple, grandma is a doctor so needs frequent trips to 3 hospitals where she works, sedan ( a boot for all those books and what not ) and good mileage. Decided on diesel since average usage was pegged at around 2500 kms in a month (91 kms a day). Then the hunt began, and in between she decided she's only going to work in one place and she'll retire in 3-4 years and she'll sell the car immediately and wants a great price then. Just like that a Swift dzire VDI was bought. Now tell me one car I could've bought other than that which ticks all boxes ?

Of course there are problems, build quality, service centres trying to fleece you and rattles, but all in all wen you're selling your car, especially people who upgrade every 3-4 years, the value it provides gives you a smile. And that is IMHO what Maruti's ISP is !
Old 16th January 2018, 12:07   #47
BHPian

Why I chose a Maruti

I have had the 800 and Swift and driven both extensively across the country, apart from Hyundai and a Fiat. The cars were not entirely niggle free but what works in Marutis favor are the following factors

1. Decently built fun to drive cars
2. VFM product offerings
3. Expansive service network across the country
4. Great resale value for their cars
5. Perceived ownership peace of mind

I do not mind shelling out a few extra bucks for service when I know that I can bank on Maruti for service related issues across the country. A quick escalation is all it has taken to get the service centers on their toes. The same cannot be said about a Hyundai or a Fiat that I have owned.

With better cars coming out from NEXA, my next car will probably be a Maruti I guess.

Last edited by NFS2024 : 16th January 2018 at 12:10.
Old 16th January 2018, 12:21   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why I chose a Maruti

Guys,

It's been an interesting discussion so far, but it's now time to close it.

1. Else, the forum will be cluttered with "Why I bought a Toyota", "Why I bought a Hyundai", "Why I bought an Audi" threads.

2. Your reasons for choosing a particular brand / car can be covered in your ownership reports.

Thanks! Thread closed.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed