Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 19:53   #1
BHPian

Government mandates that BS6 compliant vehicles should be able to run on BS4 fuel too

The ability to run BS-6 cars on BS-4 could save a lot of money for OMC's. It took almost a decade for all of India to shift from BS3 to BS4. It'll be herculean task to provide BS-6 fuel in all fuel stations in India by the government stipulated target of 2020. I am not sure though if it's possible to run high tech BS-6 vehicles on inferior fuel without messing up the complex systems.

"The government may nudge automotive companies to make Bharat Stage VI (BS-6) certified cars capable of running on BS-4 fuels. Such a policy could result in huge savings for oil marketing companies (OMCs) which are preparing for pan-India BS-6 fuel roll out.
Mercedes-Benz on Friday unveiled a BS-6 certified car which can run on BS-4 fuel.
“I am really happy that Mercedes-Benz has achieved this,” Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said on the sidelines of the launch event in Mumbai."

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tec...l-2487335.html

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th January 2018 at 13:47.
bullrun87 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Government mandates that BS6 compliant vehicles should be able to run on BS4 fuel too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
The ability to run BS-6 cars on BS-4 could save a lot of money for OMC's. It took almost a decade for all of India to shift from BS3 to BS4. It'll be herculean task to provide BS-6 fuel in all fuel stations in India by the government stipulated target of 2020. I am not sure though if it's possible to run high tech BS-6 vehicles on inferior fuel without messing up the complex systems.
Tomorrow's news -

The roads in various interior parts of India - and even in parts of some of India's largest cities are so full of potholes, dug up by the metrowater / electricity people etc, that only a bullock cart would be fit for such roads. It will be a herculean task to make such roads up to the standards of an Autobahn.

Hence all BS6 / Euro6 cars sold must come with an attachable harness in which a bullock can be yoked for use on such roads.

Reminds me of the joke in the Ben Kingsley Gandhi movie, in which Gandhiji is sitting in an old car yoked to a bullock, and jokes to a visiting foreign reporter that he calls the car "Oxford" because it is a Ford and it is drawn by an Ox.

Last edited by hserus : 19th January 2018 at 22:57.
hserus is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 00:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Government mandates that BS6 compliant vehicles should be able to run on BS4 fuel too

What's the point of stricter emission norms if fuel suppliers get a free pass?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 00:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Chetan, exactly ! If BS-VI fuel cant be supplied, then there is no point in asking for BS-VI vehicles. Let them continue with BS-IV norms.

Having said that, I'd rather wait and see what the govt actually comes out with. No point in believing what's said in the papers. or media.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 13:43   #5
BHPian

What's the point of upgrading the engines to BS-VI if they are made to run on BS-IV fuel. I believe if BS-VI complaint vehicles are made to run on BS-IV fuel, they won't comply with BS-VI norms. In reality they will be polluting more than what a BS-VI vehicle should. We the customers will have to pay more for our cars with no/negligible environmental benefits. This will be a stupid rule if & when implemented.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th January 2018 at 13:56. Reason: formatting
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
What's the point of upgrading the engines to BS-VI if they are made to run on BS-IV fuel. I believe if BS-VI complaint vehicles are made to run on BS-IV fuel, they won't comply with BS-VI norms. In reality they will be polluting more than what a BS-VI vehicle should. We the customers will have to pay more for our cars with no/negligible environmental benefits. This will be a stupid rule if & when implemented.
BS VI engines, if run on BS IV fuel, will indeed pollute more. But as per IIT-Kanpur's 2016 report on the topic of air pollution, passenger vehicles only contribute to 10% of emissions. The Oscar of vehicular pollution goes to heavy commercial vehicles and the joint Oscar for overall pollution impact belongs to the power sector, domestic cooking and garbage burning etc.

If BS VI vehicles run on BS IV and pollute more in the short term, it's ok if you ask me. But would this harm the BS VI engines?

OT - It however deeply concerns me that if BS IV diesel engines run on BS VI diesel, it'll harm the fuel injectors. For a Ford Figo, one fuel injector costs Rs.15,000 for the part alone. BS VI diesel will have 1/5th the Sulphur as BS IV diesel - I fear this may mean that fuel injectors will have 1/5th their former useful lives, due to lesser lubrication (the sulphur in diesel serves as a lubricant for the fuel injectors in diesel cars). How do people buy BS IV diesel cars today if they know already that beyond 2019 or 2020, their cars will suddenly undergo significant damage with BS VI fuel?
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a very bad feeling about all this.
Soon we may have an announcement that only the metros will have BS6 fuel by April 2020, and the rest of India would be given a few more years ... since not all refineries will be capable of 100% BS6 fuels.

So much for environmental concerns.

Of course all this is a conjecture right now, things may not go this bad.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have a very bad feeling about all this.
Soon we may have an announcement that only the metros will have BS6 fuel by April 2020, and the rest of India would be given a few more years ... since not all refineries will be capable of 100% BS6 fuels.

So much for environmental concerns.

Of course all this is a conjecture right now, things may not go this bad.
I believe this will definitely happen. When BS 4 was enforced by 2017, only 50 cities had BS 4 supply. In fact, I think rural India and even tier 2/3 cities still have only BS 3 supply even now, if i'm not mistaken.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:04   #9
srh
BHPian

I guess it is a premature to commenting on this. I read somewhere than Merc already launched a BS VI vehicle in India. I guess, what that means is that even with BS IV fuel, the vehicle meets BS VI emission norms. That means newer technologies to meet BS VI do not require better fuel!
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Govt of India almost always puts the Ox behind the Ford! They always lay down the laws first and address the ground realities later! When I got my first car a M800 it was fitted with a cat con and was advised to tank up only unleaded so the cat con won't pack up. But unleaded petrol was available only in a few bunks in the city and once out of city limits there was no unleaded to be found.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 22nd January 2018 at 22:46.
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:18   #11
BHPian

This is pointless! The rules should be followed by everyone equally. Before announcing the deadline, the government should have ensured that the oil companies have the capacity to supply BSVI fuel. I hope that the BSVI technology developed by each and every carmaker is good enough to take the BSIV fuel too without creating any problems to the engine, so that us customers won’t be the victim in the end.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2018 at 16:01. Reason: Typos
Flyer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th April 2018, 10:06   #12
BHPian

So the question here is if someone like me planning his next car should consider diesel options?
Old 27th April 2018, 10:33   #13
BANNED

Re: Government mandates that BS6 compliant vehicles should be able to run on BS4 fuel too

I think BS-V was lost because of the OMCs. If need be shut down the sarkari monsters and switch of Imports as was recommended by the expert panel.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government mandates that BS6 compliant vehicles should be able to run on BS4 fuel too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
So the question here is if someone like me planning his next car should consider diesel options?
How does Diesel vs Petrol factor in?
The entire country today is on BS4 for Motor Spirit (Petrol) and High Speed Diesel (diesel used by most road vehicles).

The entire country will move to BS6 for both MS and HSD.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
OT - It however deeply concerns me that if BS IV diesel engines run on BS VI diesel, it'll harm the fuel injectors. For a Ford Figo, one fuel injector costs Rs.15,000 for the part alone. BS VI diesel will have 1/5th the Sulphur as BS IV diesel - I fear this may mean that fuel injectors will have 1/5th their former useful lives, due to lesser lubrication (the sulphur in diesel serves as a lubricant for the fuel injectors in diesel cars).
It's not really OT. The Renault Duster 110 version is already been suffering from injector failures. These piezo injectors are made by Continental and as per them, the reason for failure is the bad BS4 fuel specs prevailing in India. One injector costs you Rs. 26K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks