Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2018, 13:28   #16
BHPian

re: On Hyundai's new heartwarming ad (anniversary gift)

That's a lame attempt from Hyundai to recreate the magic weaved by Samsung India Customer Service ad. I don't see any issue with data privacy as the company used the customer data for wow-ing the same customer only; nothing's been leaked out here. Data is collected for various reasons, and one of them is personal bonding though the ultimate agenda is customer retention and business benefits.

The execution of the ad could have been much better. Eavesdropping on one end, delivering the car with the problem unattended on the other end, and finally ending up saying Hyundai service rocks

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 17th February 2018 at 13:30.
xjosephjacob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 13:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the ad is quite stupid. It might've been OK showing the car having an issue, if the issue was solved at the end. But no, to fix a glovebox issue, the service center needs at least 2 tries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If this were in Europe, picture this :

5. That goes viral as well and comes to the attention of [a] Top management and [b] The national privacy and data protection regulators.
I'm not sure what is the extent of these data protection laws in EU and what information is public (which you might think is private).

- I drive a company-leased car. The registered owner of the car is the leasing company, not me. A few months before my lease is set to expire, I get brochures from two different car companies (not the brand of my current car), from a financial institution offering cheap car loans, and from a vehicle inspection center with a discount code for vehicle inspections. All letters are received in my name at my home address. Who gave them my name and home address?

- I went to a car showroom to TD a car (again, not the same brand as my current car). I gave my name, he typed it in and voila! - he could see exactly what car I currently drive, which leasing company it is registered to, when does the lease expire, who is my employer and of course, my home address and phone number (I saw all of these appearing on his monitor, not just guessing).
StarrySky is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 13:45   #18
BHPian

I hope this is not the "Captur" moment for Hyundai. The ad is as stupid as it can get. Will be interesting to see if it impacts the sales of i10 or how long Hyundai will wait before pulling out the ad.

The gentleman has visited the service centre because of a manufacturing defect and that pour soul wants it fixed. The foolish guy instead of fixing the manufacturing defect decides to eavesdrop on its customer and gives a stupid gift to cover his incompetence and promises to fix the defect next day without having the courtesy to confirm if that gentleman has the time.

Shows how incompetent and inconsiderate Hyundai's service guys can be.

What an incredible way to shoot one of your high selling product point blank to the head when the competitors are bringing in better products
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 14:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I'm not sure what is the extent of these data protection laws in EU and what information is public (which you might think is private).

- A few months before my lease is set to expire, I get brochures from two different car companies

- I went to a car showroom to TD a car (again, not the same brand as my current car). I gave my name, he typed it in and voila! - he could see exactly what car I currently drive,
You just figured out that personal data in India is sold like onions and potatoes. Even Aadhaar data thanks to UIDAI bungling and unscrupulous enrolment agents.

In the EU anyone gathering such third party data and blatantly marketing based on it would face substantial civil and even criminal penalties for privacy violations and data theft.

Funny thing is South Korea where Hyundai is HQ’d has a strong data protection law, being an OECD economy itself. This sort of thing won’t ever fly there.
Old 17th February 2018, 14:23   #20
BHPian

I did not understand the ad at all .

What are they portraying out of the below?

The car?
The glovebox of the car?
The problem with the glovebox of the car?
The service centre?
The service advisor?
The service which is not done?
The lady in front of the computer?
The customer's anniversary?
Gift for the customer?

Or anything else?
Old 17th February 2018, 14:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You just figured out that personal data in India is sold like onions and potatoes. Even Aadhaar data thanks to UIDAI bungling and unscrupulous enrolment agents.

In the EU anyone gathering such third party data and blatantly marketing based on it would face substantial civil and even criminal penalties for privacy violations and data theft.
I wrote about my experience in EU, not India. I have no idea if I could raise a civil or criminal complaint, but seeing how even my colleagues here (who are locals) get similar letters, probably no one takes these seriously - or maybe there are opt-out options somewhere.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 15:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually in the US, reality is that the private sector has turned data mining into a lucrative business. Some are above board, most are shady. If you are willing to pay, you can get A to Z of anyone.
Old 17th February 2018, 15:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

If we look at it just as an ad, the only thing I hated about it is it's so much predictable.

It's a bold step where Hyundai is taking a real, everyday scenario like a broken glovebox lid. Some niggling issues which don't get fixed in a single visit. Every car owner, whatever the brand, must have faced them in his or her ownership period.

Hyundai seems to admit that not all problems may be resolved in a single visit, but is also smart to capitalize on it and present a picture that they do care about the customer.

So as an advertisement I appreciate it more than some other ad promising you the sun, the moon and the whole solar system.
Old 17th February 2018, 17:07   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Dumb advt. Shows a defect and that it is not solved? Wow.

But it is an advt. exaggeration is permitted. KUV100 is of course the best example of a super capable SUV wading through water to follow an attractive person.

Data Privacy. Frankly let the whole world know my anniversary date and make me special offers on that day. The bigger problem is messages and calls that ignore the DND status of my phone number.

The Reality of Data is that TATA, HYUNDAI, SKODA, (just examples all are the same) all follow up with me for servicing and insuring cars that I have sold years back. Data is today more junk and outdated than relevant. I get calls for car insurance of a preowned car that I bought from an authorized centre and they send proposals that assume the car is new. They conveniently convert AT cars to MT and Petrol to Diesel or vice-versa and we talk about data.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 18:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I wrote about my experience in EU, not India. I have no idea if I could raise a civil or criminal complaint, but seeing how even my colleagues here (who are locals) get similar letters, probably no one takes these seriously - or maybe there are opt-out options somewhere.
You can certainly raise complaints with the national data protection authority of whichever EU country you were in.
Old 17th February 2018, 18:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Stupid ad!! Glovebox issue not fixed .

I think the person behind this ad was working in Renault before. This is a very common problem in Renault Kwid. I am also a victim .

I own Grand I10 too, but never had this issue haha.

Regarding the privacy aspect, I do remember filling up a form at Hyundai dealership. They would send message or call on your birthday.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 17th February 2018 at 18:22.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 18:53   #27
BHPian

Re: What a stupid advertisement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This is such a stupid and retarded advertisement, Hyundai shot its own foot!

7) SA pacifies him by asking if Aunty liked the gift, tells uncle he will come and fix the problem tomorrow.

What a stupid stupid stupid advertisement.

It shows a faulty car in the beginning of the advertisement and it shows the same fault still not fixed at the end, highlighting inefficient Hyundai Service. Apart from that takes the customer's time for granted. Car delivered without fixing and does not inform the customer, and says will fix tomorrow. What if he has some other program the next day?

In my 23 years in the automobile industry, we have been taught -FIX IT FIRST TIME.

What a joke Hyundai. Uncle has to waste his time, energy and petrol to go back to the Hyundai workshop to get the problem fixed again. How very irritating!!
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 19:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Best (or is it worst) of all - the SA's gift has a card that reads "To my love"

How very inappropriate.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th February 2018 at 13:38. Reason: Removed video from quotes
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 19:25   #29
BHPian

With GDPR implementation, Europe has become one of the stringent part of the globe for data privacy laws. If this AD was in EU forget Hyundai, laws would have even roped in KIA as one of party to case!
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 20:42   #30
BHPian

1) Hyundai just advertised the car's problems by showing the I10's broken glovebox.

2) Road Rules are violated, the man turns without blinkers and also stops on the side of the road without hazard lights.

3) Eavesdropping: The SA overhears the man talking on his phone.

4) Security Breach : The Old Man's personal data is collected, zero data privacy.

5) How did Hyundai get hold of the Man's personal data? especially anniversary date? I don't think the SA's ask for details like anniversary dates.

6) How did the Glovebox open exactly when the man stopped at the entrance of the event? Does it open only when the brakes are applied? The first part of the video portrays the Glovebox opening even when the car is in motion.

6) Hyundai just portrayed their low level of workmanship and inefficient service by showing the glovebox opening again, even after the car has been delivered after the service. Which means, the car just went in for a good wash and was delivered back.

All in All, a completely unnecessary ad by Hyundai. If they really wanted to portray their good service, they could have done it in a better way with a better advertisement. Not by advertising the car's problems, collecting data and showing their inefficient service ( in reference to the video). People will get to know about Hyundai's service through first-hand experiences, not through advertisements like this. Every service center isn't the same.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 17th February 2018 at 20:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks