Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2006, 13:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

this is good. they should also make at least 2 airbags mandatory... and also cut the excise duty. i remeber reading in autocar about a year or so ago. that without excise a camry would cost 9l and a 76li aobut 45l.
Old 18th December 2006, 14:22   #17
DRC
BHPian

Great to hear this...
Atlast, safety is viewed as safety instead of luxury. Also should be in the list to have Air bags.

More over, Enforcement of the safety rules like Seat belts, vehicle fitness, helmets, lane system etc., Medical must be more stringent,
Old 18th December 2006, 14:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Compulsory ABS in Indian cars? What about having basic safety features in those World War-II technology trucks and buses that continue to be manufactured and sold in this country? One has been hearing about an elaborate list of compulsory safety features for truck and bus bodies that ARAI had prepared but whose implementation is yet to see the light of the day. There must be an immediate ban on bus and truck bodies being made by roadside workshops without regard to the safety of either the occupants or other road users.
Old 18th December 2006, 14:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
The Govt. has woken up at last

Not just the govt waking up - this development, like any others, will also be due to pull of influential industry groups as well
Old 18th December 2006, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Great news. Actually I was planning to start a thread on this as to why manufactureres don't give these essential things as standard. For the same engine higher model has ABS while the lower one is without it.
Old 18th December 2006, 18:37   #21
BHPian

Do we really need ABS in all cars? It will just further push up the cost of cars! Cars in India are already pricey compared to Europe/America. And in case of any problem, fixing ABS will cost another bomb. Rather govt. should raise the standards of public buses and killer lorries!
Old 18th December 2006, 19:34   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Do we really need ABS in all cars?

YES.

Countless accidents could have been prevented and lives saved if ABS was made compulsory earlier.
Old 18th December 2006, 19:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
It will be interesting to watch the impact on the 1L car...
Currently ABS costs around 25K which will be about 25% of the car value..

I have a feeling govt is trying to indirectly influence the increase in car prices so that affordability is reduced and hence lesser cars on the roads... If they bring Airbags also into picture, then one has to forget cars below 3L...

Good move, love to see more additions to it and make it a comprehensive Auto policy.... (BAN reverse horns and the lorry horns... I hope this figures in the law too... something has to be done about the noise pollution...)
I agree at this time the manufactures are adding around 25K for ABS, as they market this as a premium(read as more margin) feature. however once they start to procure/manufacture in volumes the price is bound to drop and will be commodity. Just like our cell phone and the airtime cost. I remember for my first cell call I paid around Rs16/min as airtime and them the actual phone bill. But today I am paying less than a Rs1/min including airtime and call cost and incoming is free.

regards,
-manju
Old 18th December 2006, 19:49   #24
BHPian

I might be slightly off topic here...but is ABS a patented technology?
( I think airbags are...not sure of ABS though). If it is patented then it will be fun to watch what all these auto makers do to get over it.....!!
Old 18th December 2006, 20:23   #25
BANNED

What to say but excellent about this decision to make ABS a must.

Why didn't they do this a bit earlier??
Old 18th December 2006, 20:50   #26
BHPian

Although there is detailed discussion on ABS here, but there is no proof that ABS actually prevents accidents (unless it is very slippery surface like ice etc.) Also, in surfaces like loose gravel, ABS actually increases stopping distance!
Ref:
Howstuffworks "How Anti-Lock Brakes Work"
ABS Frequently Asked Questions
Just my 2p - don't want to start a flame though
Old 18th December 2006, 20:55   #27
BANNED

finally. so does that mean swift will discontinue its abs model and make its LXI version too in abs. when does this practice go in service.
Old 18th December 2006, 22:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great News ! However, given the track record I would stick to the saying "The proof of the pudding is in the eating". There was this talk about high security number plates and we are still talking and talking. So, whatever we have heard am afraid must be taken with a pich of salt !!
Old 19th December 2006, 00:38   #29
BHPian

if this is really implemented it will be the best news of the year. next up should be front airbags closely followed by traction control, bluetooth and gps......... well i can dream cant i???
Old 19th December 2006, 17:36   #30
BHPian

Making ABS mandatory is great news, indeed. No doubt about it.
But I am skeptical about making airbags mandatory.
Time and again research and incidents have proven airbags are utterly useless and killers instead of life savers if passengers are not wearing seatbelts.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 19th December 2006 at 17:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks