Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2018, 16:01   #16
BHPian

Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
This price cut has me in a sort of dilemma. I was looking at the 4X2 Diesel but the additional 4 airbags for 50K more is enticing. But am not sure whether it is worth carrying around 80kg of 4X4 hardware which I am never going to use, while taking a hit on performance and fuel economy.

Any thoughts anyone?

Leave the weight aside and concentrate on the extra airbags, better traction in all surfaces and better handling as well in the 4x4 mode. AWD isn't only required for off-roading. The 3.6 superb used to come with 4x4 without any off roading intentions.

If I were you I would go with the 4x4 eyes closed as it provides more safety.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 17:50   #17
BHPian

re: Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Leave the weight aside and concentrate on the extra airbags, better traction in all surfaces and better handling as well in the 4x4 mode. AWD isn't only required for off-roading. The 3.6 superb used to come with 4x4 without any off roading intentions.

If I were you I would go with the 4x4 eyes closed as it provides more safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Seriously go for the 4*4 at 50k more. Even if you do not use the 4*4, safety is top priority. Yes you may lug the additional 200 kilos, but remember it may get you out of a sticky situation on a holiday in the hills. Go for one and also take off road.
Sorry, 200 was my mistake. It is actually 79kg, which is tolerable. If 200 kg is equivalent to approximately 3 people in a car, 79 is one passenger plus a cabin baggage. Realising my folly made my decision easier.

Quote:
Just booked. Only white and silver options available according to the SA. Going with silver.
Changed the colour to white. Even after the colour options narrowing to just two, it is very difficult to make up my mind. Every damn colour looks good on the Compass.
Old 6th April 2018, 19:40   #18
BHPian

The sales advisor I had for the test drive of Jeep Compass informed that this 4X4 upgrade scheme is only applicable for 2017.

How true is that?
saurabhdadhichi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 23:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
The sales advisor I had for the test drive of Jeep Compass informed that this 4X4 upgrade scheme is only applicable for 2017.

How true is that?
So, there lies the catch. I just talked to my SA and he confirmed that it is indeed going to be 2017 manufactured. He says he had mentioned it at the dealership and maybe I didn't notice. I really wouldn't care if it is 2017 manufactured as long as it is in good shape. A thorough PD is in order.

I wonder whether the limited color options offered to me (silver and white) is based on inventory availabile at the dealership. If so I could get a better color if I checked somewhere else. Sadly the nearest one is 200km away.
civic-sense is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 10:05   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
I was looking at the 4X2 Diesel but the additional 4 airbags for 50K more is enticing. But am not sure whether it is worth carrying around 80kg of 4X4 hardware which I am never going to use, while taking a hit on performance and fuel economy.
You answered your question yourself - the additional 4 airbags are alone worth 50K (or more IMHO). And I'm willing to bet a 100 bucks that you will eventually use the AWD on your holidays (muck, sand etc.). Just ensure that it isn't stock that's too old.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 12:53   #21
BHPian

Re: Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
So, there lies the catch. If so I could get a better color if I checked somewhere else. Sadly the nearest one is 200km away.
Thanks for the confirmation. I am getting this verified through my Lease Company as due for a new lease car. If i can get the Limited version with 4X4 along with additional 4 air bags, upgrade is worth every buck.

Fly in the ointment is that they have only White & Silver color option currently (atleast in NCR region), which is not my first choice but not a deal breaker.
Old 8th April 2018, 13:16   #22
BHPian

Re: Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You answered your question yourself - the additional 4 airbags are alone worth 50K (or more IMHO). And I'm willing to bet a 100 bucks that you will eventually use the AWD on your holidays (muck, sand etc.).
My original choice of variant was the petrol AT, but the lack of side and curtain airbags were what was holding me off. Then came the AT review and I shifted my loyalties to diesel in spite of my revulsion to smell of diesel smoke. For the additional airbags, I am making quite a compromise - high revving petrol, autobox for 4 airbags. Hope the AWD turns out to be a bonus that is worthwhile.
Quote:
Just ensure that it isn't stock that's too old.
I asked the SA, and he says that the manufacturing month would be Nov or Dec, but I wont really trust them until I see the car myself. I am used to buying old stock. My first car, the S10, was lying in the yard for more than a year before I bought it for a 1.75L discount. History seems to be repeating here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Fly in the ointment is that they have only White & Silver color option currently (atleast in NCR region), which is not my first choice but not a deal breaker.
If it was old stock, I wonder how they ended up with so many whites and silvers. Probably bad planning. Colour is not a deal breaker for me too, although I would have loved to buy one in blue. But then, I have a history of not getting the colour I wanted, in literally every car that I have bought.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 15:47   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I had just bought a 4x2 variant, I'd be sure as hell . As noted in our Official Review, the AWD system is pretty darn competent (by soft-roader standards). 50 grand is nothing for the AWD & 4 additional airbags. Whoever is buying it, please also upgrade the tyres to all-terrain rubber.

Quote:
Of course, if budget isn't a problem, then wait for the Trailhawk instead .
Only problem with the Trailhawk is that it is Automatic :-(
Old 8th April 2018, 18:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Only problem with the Trailhawk is that it is Automatic :-(
Can’t it be used in manual mode when required? 🤔
Old 8th April 2018, 19:26   #25
BHPian

With the Compass being such a roaring sales success and waiting periods extending many months, how come Jeep have unsold 2017 stock to clear off at such discounts?
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 19:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
With the Compass being such a roaring sales success and waiting periods extending many months, how come Jeep have unsold 2017 stock to clear off at such discounts?
It's the 4x4 versions. They sell way less than their 4x2 counterparts. Maybe Jeep overestimated India's thirst for a 4x4.
Old 10th April 2018, 11:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
• The Compass is sold with a 3-year / 100,000 km standard warranty + roadside assistance. However, some items are only covered for 2 years. Click here to check out the details shared by Arjit Yadav.

You can extend the warranty by one or two years. We recommend the maximum coverage as internationally, Jeep SUVs are known for niggles & problems. They aren't exactly the last word in reliability.
The SA says that there is currently no extended warranty program for the Compass. Is that true or they are not extending this facility to these 2017 manufactured cars?
Old 10th April 2018, 11:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SA says that there is currently no extended warranty program for the Compass. Is that true or they are not extending this facility to these 2017 manufactured cars?
They have not yet launched the extended warranty. My Uncle bought a 2018 HydroBlue 4 x 2 Limited in Feb 2018 and got only the standard warranty and there was no option for an extended warranty as yet.

It is listed as Coming Soon on the website as well:
https://www.jeep-india.com/warranty-insurance.html
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 23:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Just ensure that it isn't stock that's too old.
Got VIN from the SA. Decoding it shows manufacturing month as Nov 2017. 5 months old. Hoping everything is in good shape.

BTW I don't see anybody else in the forum jumping at this offer. Wonder whether I am the only one finding this deal lucrative.
Old 12th April 2018, 07:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Booked Compass? Get a 4x4 for just Rs. 50,000 more. EDIT: It's old 2017 stock

Quote:
BTW I don't see anybody else in the forum jumping at this offer. Wonder whether I am the only one finding this deal lucrative.

Congratulations and all the very best.

Would be interesting to see the break up of variants sold by Jeep. I have seen a lot of Longitude and Limited variants in Bangalore. Even the Limited(O) is a rare sighting. 4*4 is a very rare sight. Even after the booking opened for the Trailhawk I am given to believe that only 3 have been booked by the Bangalore dealer.

So looks like 4*4 is not the popular choice.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 12th April 2018 at 07:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks