Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 16:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Audi to bring in entry-level products below the A3

One product that Audi can try to focus is on luxury hatchback. Right now, there is no hatchback between 10 lakhs and 30 lakhs range (which is an ideal spot for Golf though). I'm not sure how many people share my thought process but I drive a GT TSI right now and would like to upgrade to a hatch that is more spacious, has a bigger engine and filled with safety and other features. The reasons for sticking to a hatch are clear:tighter to drive, looks sporty (subjective), easier to park and good enough for a small family.

A hatch in the 20 lakhs range with 7 airbags, 150+ horses, quick auto gearbox panoramic sunroof, cooled seats, rich interiors and I am sold. The GTI was probably closest to this but then it was very similar to the Polo looks wise and too cramped for a car that expensive.
anshumandun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:39   #17
BHPian

I don't really get the negativity towards the Q2. Sure it is tiny, but its a crossover is it not? I feel it can be a valid alternative to the GLA if priced appropriately. I know of plenty people to whom an Audi is superior to the other two germans. This is mostly the younger generation, since Audi's seem to be popular amongst celebrities (or so Im told). So something like a Q2 or an A1 won't really tarnish the brand a lot. Provided they launch these cars properly spec'ed.
Old 18th April 2018, 11:50   #18
NTO
BHPian

Very recently, a friend of mine picked up my brain for a suggestion between the GLA petrol and X1 diesel. I went overboard and suggested the Volkswagen Tiguan with respect to what it offers. The friend took my suggestion, took TD for the Tiguan Highline and absolutely loved it. However, he settled for the X1.

Reason was very clear, he liked the brand image of BMW better than VW (Obviously a more aspirational brand) though the Tiguan had more to offer than the X1 or the GLA. This is not the only scenario but people have a general tendency of buying the brand than buying a car for themselves. Hence I feel this strategy of Audi will work in their favor and we can see people plonking their 20+L on an A1 than a Octy in the future to come.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:59   #19
BHPian

What engine are they gonna supply the smaller Audis with? A 1.2 or a 1.0 turbo petrol? Considering the fact that a 35 lac+ Audi A3 comes with a 1.4 turbo petrol.

I wouldn't be amused to find if they employ the national diesel engine aka 1.3 ddis/multijet in their cars.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 12:20   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
And believe me, there are people who satisfy the above behavior. They are ready to shell out money for such premium Cars.
Agree to your point. What is the size of such a demand? Is it enough to justify launching a new model?
Sales figures of A class and GLA(to some extent) might give some insight.

Quote:
For them, Cramped space in luxury car is far more superior compared to generous space in value for money cars
For an informed owner, the car size and interior space matters. It is embarrassing when a premium car is overshadowed in size by a Hyundai or Honda parked next to it. Or when a Honda City owner travels in your premium car and makes a passing comment about less leg space. Believe me, these are owner's perspectives.

That said, these compact premium cars can be a good option for someone who travels alone or 2-up for 90% of the times. For those looking for 4-seaters, IMO there are better alternatives available.

Last edited by ashis89 : 18th April 2018 at 12:22.
Old 18th April 2018, 12:41   #21
Mtv
BHPian

The move to launch smaller models makes no sense. Buyers are taking more informed decisions these days. Where brand value was once on the top of the list of considerations, practicality and value have taken over.

The entry level models of the big three aren't the first cars that come to the mind of a buyer with a 30 lac budget anymore. We choose Superbs, Endeavors, and Fortuners over the Germans. Heck, even the humble Octavia has most cars twice it's price whooped.

Instead of bringing down the price of entry as they are doing, Audi should differentiate themselves from BMW and Mercedes. Their designs are repetitive and long in the tooth now. Downsizing the engines never appealed to anyone (1.4 A4, 2.0 Q7!!). They should work on their strengths, just look at the new RS5. Rebuild their image by offering us variants from their global catalogue. Make Audi aspirational again. Market the S3, RS3, TT-RS here, along with some all- road variants of their regular cars. They are making some amazing cars, yet they choose to offload this downsized non sense to us ( 1.0 Q2 anyone?). Make it worth the buyer's while to walk into an Audi dealership again. Make them want to be a part of the brand than just being the third option on the list of considerations. A new Audi is likely bought not for the merit of the product, but because of the amount of discount. VAG has VW to chase volumes here, yet there is no progress on that front either
Mtv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 13:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A premium hatchback - like the A-Class - could have some potential, but it'll still be limited.
I was shocked to read that the A-Class has a longer wheelbase when compared to the Laura
Audi A1 2018 could make a good case in India. Yes its based on the new Polo/Ibiza but its not a bad thing as it would be roomier than the outgoing A1 and even the A Clas . In Euro market the base variant of the outgoing A1 comes with a 1.0 TFSI engine which should keep the costs down. The 2018 A1 is expected to come with segment shattering features like adaptive dampners as well.
Old 18th April 2018, 14:36   #23
BHPian

Anyone else dreaming about a Rs 25 lakh S1 quattro ?

Honestly though, one of the most bland and uninteresting product line ups below the 1cr bracket.
Old 18th April 2018, 15:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

After having S,M, L,XL series of A's and Q's, Audi now wants to introduce XS sizing to their lineup of A's and Q's. Now that A3 costs 40lac, they need something in 30lac space.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 16:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
A hatch in the 20 lakhs range with 7 airbags, 150+ horses, quick auto gearbox panoramic sunroof, cooled seats, rich interiors and I am sold. The GTI was probably closest to this but then it was very similar to the Polo looks wise and too cramped for a car that expensive.
Polo GTI with audi's design and badge would have had more takers for 20L price, non-premium brand still have limitations when it comes to pricing, only few enjoy huge margin. I think Audi can pull this off if they have the right recipe.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:01   #26
BANNED

Don't we already have a small Audi in the form of the Polo? If not, we soon will. The next-gen Polo has more in common with its 'luxurious' siblings.
Old 18th April 2018, 19:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Or Audi can be the first-to-market with some game-changing technology (EVs etc.).
EVs are the best option for Audi. Audi has 2 EVs in their 2018-19 lineup. One is SUV and another one is sportback. Only Jaguar will be their competition in EV space. Neither Mercedes nor BMW has full-electric cars in their lineup for another 1-2 years.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 21:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The more I'm reading this discussion, the more I'm convinced that Audi certainly cannot go smaller than an A3 or Q3 in India.

Or Audi can be the first-to-market with some game-changing technology (EVs etc.).
That could be the answer. Remember Merc Smart? There is no limit to innovation. Often, the package as a whole matters. Package can defy logic.

Agreed, Indian public are cost sensitive and always look at cost vs size. But it is also true that the market is evolving. 😊
Old 19th April 2018, 00:13   #29
BHPian

IMHO it will open a good option for people looking to buy a luxury option in small cars for local errands or city ease though few takers only.

If I am in Audi's shoes, I will price my product lineup competitively with top notch sales and service experience (Inspiration from Lexus)

Simply, Do your business and let your sister brands do their own.
Old 19th April 2018, 09:34   #30
BHPian

They first need to fix the look. Everything from their A3 to A6 look the same. It's boring and while some find it elegant, the typical folks throwing that kinda cash would like their car seen differently. All other luxury brands have that "I can tell at first look" details.

And agree that they shouldn't go down below a certain price point / segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks