Old 19th April 2018, 16:43   #1

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh

Mod Note: BHPian worldcrawler's BMW X3 (G01) xDrive 20d Luxury Line Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

BMW has launched the third generation X3 in India. The SUV is available in two variants xDrive 20d Expedition and xDrive 20d Luxury Line priced at Rs. 49.99 lakh and Rs. 56.70 lakh (ex-showroom) respectively.

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-x3-2.jpg

The new BMW X3 is based on the carmaker's CLAR (Cluster Architecture) platform, which makes it 55 kg lighter than the outgoing model. It measures 4,716 mm in length, 1,897 mm in width and 1,676 mm in height. It has 550-litre luggage space, which can expanded to 1,600 litres by folding the rear seats.

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-bmwx32018160005.jpg

The new X3 features a larger twin kidney grille flanked by re-profiled, fully adaptive LED headlights. It gets a new front bumper with LED fog lamps, wide air dam and vents on either side. In side profile, the new X3 looks similar to its predecessor. Moving to the rear, BMW has given the X3 an automatic tailgate, roof spoiler, chrome exhaust tips and wraparound LED tail lamps. The Expedition version gets 18-inch alloy wheels, while the Luxury Line rides on larger 19-inch alloys. The latter also comes with chrome radiator grille slats, dual-tone body sill in frozen grey matte with chrome trim and chrome air-breathers.

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-bmwx32018128038.jpg

On the inside, the new X3 gets a redesigned dashboard with a 10.25-inch floating touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay connectivity and a touch pad. It has a new 3-spoke multi-functional steering wheel and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. Other features include BMW display key, puddle lamps that illuminate a large area around the doors, rear-view camera with park assist, ambient lighting, wireless charging, BMW iDrive and BMW connected drive. The X3 comes with adjustable rear seat backrests and a panoramic sunroof.

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-bmwx3201812802e.jpg

In India, the BMW X3 is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 188 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 400 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. Power is sent to all four wheels via an 8-speed automatic gearbox. It has 3 driving modes - ECOPRO, COMFORT and SPORT. It also gets fuel saving features like engine start/stop, active kidney grille vanes that shut to improve aerodynamics and brake energy regeneration. Dynamic Damper Control and Automatic differential locks (ADB-X) and paddle shifts are only available on the Luxury Line.

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-bmwx32018128047.jpg

Safety features like 6 airbags, ABS with brake assist, Attentive Assistance, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Cornering Brake Control (CBC) and ISOFIX child safety seat mounting points are standard. Currently, the X3 is only available with a diesel engine, however a petrol variant is scheduled to be launched later this year.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2021 at 09:40.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 16:55   #2

Re: 3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh

The X3 indeed looks handsome. It has the right proportions and the prominent crease lines are great. It is priced well also, though this depends on the details - i.e., what is included in the Expedition Variant as compared to the Luxury line. If the expedition is reasonably loaded, we can say BMW is going with its recent trend of decent introductory pricing for its cars. Pricing the new 5 series below the 50 lac mark at launch, pricing the 6 GT at around 58 lacs at launch were both fairly aggressive launch prices, though they did take advantage of the stronger rupee in the last 12 months.

I think BMW missed a trick in not launching the petrol version. With the price difference between petrol and Diesel narrowing to only a few rupees, and the cleaner image associated with Petrol after the Diesel gate scandal, this would have been an interesting alternative. I know the customer base in India equates SUV to Diesel, but BMW could have launched an counter offensive to fight this perception with X3 as the weapon. After all, the new 2.0 petrol in the 6GT delivers 400 NM of torque (same as the Diesel) and 260 HP of power (significantly more than the Diesel). This can dispel the myth that Diesel engines make more torque. It may be true the 2.0 Diesel is more fuel efficient bu not by a large margin, since the new petrol engine can deliver pretty impressive figures as well.

Another miss is the 3.0 in-line 6 cylinder in an M-Sport version. That would have been a true differentiator, since neither Audi, nor Volvo nor Mercedes is bringing any big 6 cylinder guns to the party in India! Volvo does not even have one.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th April 2018 at 17:00.
84.monsoon is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 17:59   #3

Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I think BMW missed a trick in not launching the petrol version. With the price difference between petrol and Diesel narrowing to only a few rupees, and the cleaner image associated with Petrol after the Diesel gate scandal, this would have been an interesting alternative. I know the customer base in India equates SUV to Diesel, but BMW could have launched an counter offensive to fight this perception with X3 as the weapon. After all, the new 2.0 petrol in the 6GT delivers 400 NM of torque (same as the Diesel) and 260 HP of power (significantly more than the Diesel). This can dispel the myth that Diesel engines make more torque. It may be true the 2.0 Diesel is more fuel efficient bu not by a large margin, since the new petrol engine can deliver pretty impressive figures as well.
Completely agreed! BMW pricing has been spot on for their last couple of launches, and their products remain my picks in their respective segment (with only Volvo giving tough competition).
Simple designs that will age well, young interiors, good reliability for a german, and most importantly - fun to drive!

The 30d would definitely be the icing on the cake for the enthusiasts (BMWs primary market), as can be seen from the 530D.

However, I think instead of a pure petrol that gives an FE of 4-ish in the city, BMW should focus on bringing their hybrid engines to really create a difference. Yes, the GST isn't favourable for hybrids but it isn't like the X3 would fall into a smaller tax bracket either ways. I believe BMW is planning an all electric X3 / Hybrid X3 and that is what they should launch in India at the earliest.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 18:03   #4

Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The new X3 features a larger twin kidney grille flanked by re-profiled, fully adaptive LED headlights. It gets a new front bumper with LED fog lamps, wide air dam and vents on either side.[/b]
Not a big fan of the over sized kidney grill. The design theme is unfortunately going downhill for BMW IMO.

Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
On the inside, the new X3 gets a redesigned dashboard with a 10.25-inch floating touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay connectivity and a touch pad. It has a new 3-spoke multi-functional steering wheel and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. Other features include BMW display key, puddle lamps that illuminate a large area around the doors, rear-view camera with park assist, ambient lighting, wireless charging, BMW iDrive and BMW connected drive. The X3 comes with adjustable rear seat backrests and a panoramic sunroof.
Another noteworthy aspect is the dash layout across lines now seems to be very similar. Not sure, I dig that either.

If I am in the market for an X3 currently, I would seriously look at the outgoing X3 and save some good moolah instead!
raj981 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 18:12   #5

Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
If I am in the market for an X3 currently, I would seriously look at the outgoing X3 and save some good moolah instead!
I believe the old X3 stock is sold. At best you may get the M-Sport which when I checked last was just not worth it - especially with the new X3 pricing.

Also from reviews, the new X3 is a little more spacious and has a much better backseat making it a more family friendly car, and the interiors feel at least 2 generations newer than the outgoing X3 (common design theme with other new BMWs notwithstanding).
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 13:18   #6

Absolutely hate the oversized grille. It looks like someone smacked the X3 and it ended up with a swollen nose. Trust BMW to add some quirkiness to all of its new cars.

That aside, it's a far better product than the outgoing X3. And well-priced too.

Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
I would seriously look at the outgoing X3 and save some good moolah instead!
Would suggest getting the latest one. What's the point of buying a new car if you are bringing home a 7-year old design? With time, it'll just feel more & more dated. After 3 years of ownership, your model will already be a decade old!

Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I think BMW missed a trick in not launching the petrol version.
Great post .

Am sure the petrol & 3-liter diesel will come in due time. This is the best selling engine, hence the first lot only has the 2.0.

I know the customer base in India equates SUV to Diesel
I'd tweak that statement a bit. Indians love their big & heavy body-on-frame SUVs only in diesel. However, the car-based monocoque ones have great demand in petrol. It's already happening lower down the food chain and will take place higher up too.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 14:20   #7

I feel the pricing is decent and the car looks much more grown up now! Considering that petrol is back in vogue, they should have launched the 30i alongside the bread n’ butter 2.0 diesels.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:04   #8

I'm not sure there is such a big demand for the 30i, the engine works best with premium petrol and in this county we are a decade behind the rest of the world in that department. Audi had to downgrade their diesel to use the fuel available here. SUVs are commonly used for highway trips and finding a decent pump for high quality petrol will be a nightmare. I think demand will pick up only when the legislation takes effect for BS VI and fuel quality improves.

The 20d will remain popular in the immediate future, dieselgate isn't such an issue here. The interior and kit on offer is spectacular, I'm sure it will be a tough competitor to the GLC. BMW should have offered the 30d as an image exercise at least. The top end offers a lot for the price and the base is still well kitted, the rear view camera being the only big miss.
Old 20th April 2018, 15:08   #9

What a great launch. Hope the variants are are properly spec'd.
Can anyone share the specification sheet. I'm not able to find it on their site.
Old 20th April 2018, 16:03   #10

I feel the pricing is decent and the car looks much more grown up now! Considering that petrol is back in vogue, they should have launched the 30i alongside the bread n’ butter 2.0 diesels.
Here's the news article from 2014 when the F25 LCI came out https://www.team-bhp.com/news/bmw-la...a-rs-4490-lakh.

Prices were Rs.44.90L to Rs.49.90L then Vs. Rs. 49.90L to Rs. 56.70L today for the new model. If you factor inflation, increase in taxes, depreciation in INR (about 10%), and the added amount of kit and features, prices have actually come down!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:51   #11

Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
What a great launch. Hope the variants are are properly spec'd.
Can anyone share the specification sheet. I'm not able to find it on their site.
Here is the spec sheet:
File Type: pdf 02 Specifications - The all-new BMW X3.pdf (660.1 KB, 564 views)

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2018 at 20:06. Reason: Typo.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 19:46   #12

I don't agree with great pricing argument. The base expedition version is completely stripped down. They should have priced it around 45 at best and no more, though expect a typical 5-7 lacs discount by Diwali. I really don't understand as to why not price the model correctly at launch instead of hefty discount in 6 months. A mid variant like "sportsline" between plain jane expedition and luxuryline would had been sensible or even a "shadowline" as BMW is dishing out recent limited editions.

Vehicle per se is definitelty better than competition, expect a good discount on Q5 soon.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 21:33   #13

Very competitive pricing in my view. The Luxury Line offers loads of new features - ADB-X, CSC, Attentive Assist, Paddle shifters, 19” wheels, Reclining Rear Seats, Adaptive LED Lights, Three Zone Air-conditioning, Front Seat Belt Tensioners, a Harman Kardon Audio system, Apple Car Play, an Automatic Tail Gate and Wireless Charging compared to my car - at a lower ex showroom headline price in Mumbai than when I bought in Jan 2017. The weight reduction is less than what I would have expected. I think it wallops the GLC and should be a great seller for BMW. The old model is almost fully sold out - one of the Mumbai dealers had just one unit left 2 weeks ago when a friend was looking

Last edited by Hayek : 20th April 2018 at 21:54. Reason: Added new features from spec sheet
Old 20th April 2018, 21:52   #14

Isn't Volvo XC60 a better offering? If you do a straight comparison, XC60 gets many extra ticks, including a better spec engine. Expedition does not even get LED headlamps!
BMW is bit overstated in India in my opinion.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 10:33   #15

Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I'm not sure there is such a big demand for the 30i, the engine works best with premium petrol and in this county we are a decade behind the rest of the world in that department. Audi had to downgrade their diesel to use the fuel available here. SUVs are commonly used for highway trips and finding a decent pump for high quality petrol will be a nightmare.
I have experience with the same 2.0 petrol engine in my G30 530i and I have been on multiple long highway runs. I fill only regular petrol and it works very well. Unlike the VW/Audi petrol engines that seem to demand high octane petrol, the BMW petrol engine seems quite comfortable with the regular petrol available in India.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks