Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2018, 13:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 99 Octane petrol now available in Mumbai at around Rs. 100/liter

Interesting. CR is generally quite scientific and conservative in their detailed studies:

Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...d-premium-gas/
Old 13th May 2018, 14:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
So I filled 99 in my Cls, and I could immediately notice a difference. The engine feels more responsive, and seems to rev faster. Its only 99 now onwards for me. And for pretty much the same price as speed 97, I get 2 more RONs
You will definitely feel that effect. If you check the gas cap of your car yourself, I'm they will either recommend you use 93 Octane (based on US standards) or 98 Octane (Based on EU standards).

Using any fuel with lower grading can cause your engine to start knocking. So my suggestions is, at least for your CLS, only use 98 Octane or in your case now, 99 Octane.
Old 13th May 2018, 18:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

On a lighter note. In 1968 petrol, the sada kind, came for Re 0.98p per litre. Each time we topped up my father would ask V_____ if one litre is for 98 paisa then how much will 15 litres cost. And my limited mental maths brain went into computer overload. Then one day in late 1968 or early 1969 the price jumped to a historic never scaled before Re 1.02 per litre and there was the usual mumbling at home about cost of living et al. And now we are scrapping Rs 100 per litre. Guess I am now qualified to say, "ek hamara zamana tha..." [in the good old days...] ....now where are my dentures. :-)
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 18:21   #19
BHPian

Anyone know wheres this Pump, only NS road I can find is Mulund...
Old 13th May 2018, 18:31   #20
BHPian

This is the one on Napean Sea Road.
Old 14th May 2018, 16:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting. CR is generally quite scientific and conservative in their detailed studies:

Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...d-premium-gas/
It comes down to the octane rating recommended by the car manufacturer. If the car's engine is tuned for 91 octane, then filling premium petrol with higher octane rating will not give any improvements in performance or economy.

From my experience, VAG TSI engines relish higher octane petrol. There is a definite improvement in smoothness and performance. I cannot vouch for improved economy as I haven't really paid attention to this aspect. You should try a tankfull of 99 in your Octy .
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 20:18   #22
BHPian

I have a general query with respect to Speed Petrol.
Does it have 93 or 97 Octane rating? I have not seen BP explicitly mentioning the Octane rating at petrol pumps.

US gas pumps have Octane rating clearly written.

Apart from that I fill Speed petrol in my bike Yamaha FZS-FI. I feel the improvement in pick up and smoothness of Engine. The bike reaches good speeds of 90 kmph without any strain. I also use a synthetic engine oil in bike.

There is always a considerable improvement by filling a higher octane rating fuel.
If you are a bit tight on budget, I suggest filling three times regular fuel and one time higher octane rating fuel.

PS. Today Speed Petrol retailed at 85.63 INR.
Old 16th May 2018, 20:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
I have a general query with respect to Speed Petrol.
Does it have 93 or 97 Octane rating? I have not seen BP explicitly mentioning the Octane rating at petrol pumps.
Speed is 91 octane. It is normal saada petrol with added additives which are supposed to clean the injectors. You can have similar or better results by using products like System G with regular petrol.

Speed 93 and 97 are 93 octane and 97 octane respectively, as is obvious.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 02:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hindustan Petroleum (HP) has launched Power 99 petrol, which has an octane rating of 99, in Mumbai. Priced at around Rs. 100/lt, Power 99 will be available at HP's Auto Care Centre retail outlet on NS Road.

Attachment 1758673

The higher octane fuel is meant to be used in performance cars and motorcycles, but can be used in other vehicles as well. Fuels with higher octane ratings reduce engine knocking and can withstand higher temperatures. Damage to the engine is reduced because they do not contain heavy metals. NOX and CO emissions are also reduced.

Mumbai is the third Indian city to receive 99 octane petrol. The fuel is already available in Bangalore and Pune.

Source: News18

Link to Team-BHP News

Fill the tank with what the car owner's manual recommends. Extensive studies have been done regarding the octane and the engine ping/ knock.It is a waste of money by putting higher octane fuel in a car needing 87 octane. as per manual .Just my 2 cents

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks