Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2006, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Exorcizing Demons within !!

Have you ever wondered to what extent auto journalists influence our emotions and perceptions about cars in general,..and more importantly the cars we each own and drive !! Well I was one of those, being from a non-engineering back ground (foodie). I used to rely heavily on gyan from auto mags,..auto programs (tv), and forums to enrich my passion, and consolidate my knowledge.
For the most the sources are quite right !
However, there are some compelling thoughts which quite dramatically changed the wayI would rate a car based on the intended application of the owner. Every car has a designed application,some take their skills to exteremes ; Tight Nxts,Vtech's, Vrs's in performance, Budget friendly 800's, Altos in efficiency, Softly sprung accents for comfort.

The overlying point is that the car one needs not wants has to be the best compromise amoung the above skills. Me for one when I bought my Zx Gxi, initially felt like I had sold my soul, as I really wanted a tricked out ride, aka skyline-ized; Balenos, Type II Vtechs. But the head said buy something sensible instead considering I had a baby on the way !!

So I bought the car,..and was antagonized for months over endless pints, feeling that I had sold out, till one night(when I was sober) I decided to exorcize the demons within...and decided to put pedal to the metal on the newly open (desserted) streach of Nh8, and mind you-me was pleasantly surprised at the oodles of early low end torque and the rapid progress made, the gnarly noises eminated by a hurried mill of the zx gxi, was an expieriece not ever spoken about by any of my auto mags or favorite journos.

The facts remain,...my car may not be the fastest to the quarter mile ,..but when it comes to point and squirt kind of driving we all are stuck in on a daily basis,..the Zx gxi comes up trumps !!

And so the matter rests. However, when the time is right (No emi's or hefty bills to pay), I shall get my skyline-ized ticked out ride, with the specific need for speed ! Till then my Zx Gxi would do just fine,..no matter what people might say !!

Cheers Dudes!
Old 22nd December 2006, 18:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting analysis there Torque & very well written too. I think you're gonna like it here since you're gonna meet more like-minded psycho's here!!

Enjoy yourself on the forum, don't forget to read the rules & most importantly make it a point to attend the next Delhi meet, you're gonna love it!!

P.S. I'm waiting for my R34 fix too!!(fingers crossed)
Old 22nd December 2006, 19:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up..!! Enjoyed reading...

The roll on speed of NHC is quite impressive u dont have to push it too hard as some other cars which give u the punch at high RPMs with those tall gear ratio..

Have fun and drive safe...

KP
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

nice write-up dude..so uve "tasted blood" for the first time eh....and seems you quite like it...how about keepin it a family car but just a few "gifts" for ur car..probably a K&n..iradiums...muffler...just for that extra bit of exorcizing demons within....
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:44   #5
BHPian

Well captures thoughts Torque-ative. More than the car (if its zen or 800 whatever) its the vroom and driving that are intoxicating. Its more addictive than alcohol.

Occassionally I too feel impulsive to exert more force on the gas pedal. When I see a little stretch of road without traffic even in city I revvup (of course in gear 2 ir 3 only) and enjoy the exhaust note changing to vrooom. Its like sonic booms to me.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

YOu are right... The magazines have only a technical approach of rating cars... They rate cars on the various parameters, that they like and give ratings.... And most go after that...

They magazine guys dont have to won the car... So... they ponly give importance top the handling and the performance aspect, rather than the service, and the ownership details... Not always, their ratings are correct...

Like you have mentioned about your City ZXi; same is the experience with me and wagonR... I am so happy i went in for wagonR instead of Santro... REad an autocarindia verdict sometime back giving more points to the Santro... But upon checking out both cars, i found wagonR was a better choice for me (Heart longed for swift... But was tight stretching budget)

For me... I am highly satisfied by the cmfort the wagonR offers, the mileage... and the space inside... Even though the santro had a lil more peppy engine... Didnt want the back seat passengers to be thrown around, with the kind of bad roads we have here...

Enjoy you car... its' owner satisfaction that matters and not magazine ratings... And post more on team-bhp...
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, the NHC is Mr. Practicality and certainly feels like more than the 77BHP it has. But when it is termed as "underpowered", thats in a relative term. Relative to the BHP / Acceleration / Top Speed of other cars from the same segment: The Baleno, Fiesta 1.6, Hyundai Verna etc.

As long as you are happy with your machine.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks