Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 16:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 630d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 66.50 lakh

BMW India debuted the second generation of the 6 Series Gran Turismo at the 2018 Auto Expo. Until recently, the car was only available with a petrol engine. BMW has now launched the 630d Gran Turismo, which comes in two trim levels - Luxury Line and M Sport. These are priced at Rs. 66.50 lakh and Rs. 73.70 lakh (ex-showroom) respectively. In addition to the diesel variants, BMW has also introduced the 630i Gran Turismo Luxury Line, which is priced at Rs. 61.80 lakh (ex-showroom).

BMW 630d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 66.50 lakh-02-firstever-bmw-6-series-gran-turismo.jpg

The 6 Series Gran Turismo is the replacement for the 5 Series GT. It's a 4-door coupe characterized by an arcing roofline, frameless doors with soft close function and a notchback rear end. The front looks similar to the current generation 5 Series sedan and features a twin-kidney grille flanked by twin-pod LED headlights. The rear features L-shaped LED tail lights and a retracting spoiler.

The interiors are similar to the new 5 Series as well. It comes with a leather-wrapped dashboard with a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with gesture control and iDrive Touch, BMW Apps and Apple CarPlay connectivity, a 3-spoke multi-functional steering wheel and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. Rear seat passengers get two 10.2-inch screens. Other features include 4-zone automatic climate control, cruise control, launch control, air-suspension, panoramic sunroof, automatic tail gate, BMW Display Key, Parking Assistant with 360-degree camera, remote control parking and wireless charging among others.

BMW 630d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 66.50 lakh-01-firstever-bmw-6-series-gran-turismo.jpg

The 630d Gran Turismo is powered by a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 261 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 620 Nm of torque @ 2,000-2,500 rpm. It is mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission and has 5 driving modes - Sport, Comfort, Comfort+, Eco Pro and Adaptive. The 6 Series GT also gets features like engine start/stop, Active Air Stream Kidney Grille and brake energy regeneration. The Luxury Line variant gets 18-inch alloy wheels, while the M Sport variant rides on 19-inch M light alloys shod with 245/45 R19 and 275/40 R19 tyres in the front and rear respectively.

Some of the standard safety features include ABS with Brake Assist, Cornering Brake Control (CBC) and Dynamic Braking Lights, airbags, active headrests, Attentiveness Assistant, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), traction control, ISOFIX child safety seat anchors and run flat tyres.

The 630d Gran Turismo Luxury Line is available in 4 colour options - Mineral White, Glacier Silver, Mediterranean Blue and Royal Burgundy Red brilliant effect. The M Sport variant comes in 3 colour choices - Mineral White, Carbon Black and Bluestone.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 16:46   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW 630d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 66.50 lakh

I am a big fan of GT series and like them over the regular 3-series and 5-series beemer's as they seems to be more practical in terms of space and usability with good ground clearance for our beautiful roads.

I have few questions:

1. Why this is not named as 5 GT since it is derived from 5-series.
2. What are the specifications of the 630i Gran Turismo is it same as 330i.
3. Why there is difference in front and rear tyres (245/45 R19 and 275/40 R19) and what about spare tyre size if available.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 21:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I have few questions:

1. Why this is not named as 5 GT since it is derived from 5-series.
As a part of the change in nomenclature by BMW, all even series are coupes and odd are sedans.

Quote:
2. What are the specifications of the 630i Gran Turismo is it same as 330i.
Except for the common 4 cylinder engine, rest everything will be different. You can check here-

https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...0Specsheet.pdf

https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...0Specsheet.pdf

Quote:
3. Why there is the difference in front and rear tyres (245/45 R19 and 275/40 R19) and what about spare tyre size if available.
It's called a staggered setup, mostly used in the rear wheel drive or rear-engined car, can read more here.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-...why-or-why-not

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...red-setup.html

Spare tyre will be spacesaver, more details here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-solution.html

BMW has now updated the price lists and specification sheets for the Diesel.
Both of the diesel variants are Dead on Arrival in my opinin and should be on high discounts in 3-4 months. They have priced similar to E-Class 350 which is also not a very fast mover. I don't see anyone spending 15 lac over 530-D on the 6 GT M. (Price difference Plus Discounts on 530-D) beside it just does not make sense to buy a 6 cylinder engine for the driving pleasure on a car compromised on the handling due to the extended chassis.

Best case, BMW may see an increase in sales of 530-D.

Spec sheet
https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...T%20Diesel.pdf

Price List

https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...2022062018.pdf

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2018 at 21:35.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 21:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

BMW has now updated the price lists and specification sheets for the Diesel.
Both of the diesel variants are Dead on Arrival in my opinin and should be on high discounts in 3-4 months. They have priced similar to E-Class 350 which is also not a very fast mover. I don't see anyone spending 15 lac over 530-D on the 6 GT M. ( Price difference Plus Discounts on 530-D) beside it just does not make sense to buy a 6 cylinder engine for the driving pleasure on car compromised on the handling due to the extended chassis.

Best case, BMW may see an increase in sales of 530-D.
I might beg to differ with you here. I drive a 530d F10 as a daily drive and am sort of sick of the hard suspension. In comparison to the cars with air suspension, the 530d's (F10 and G30) are both a very harsh ride. Whereas the 6GT with air suspension is smoother, I guess.
I personally have never driven the new 6GT but for the first time I am looking at it with real consideration. I will TD and see if its worth the upgrade. They are both priced within 5-6 lakhs of each other, the 530d and 630d GT. Whereas the 530d gives a better handling, the 630d GT would give almost similar performance with a much better ride albeit with poorer handling.

I thought i would never say this, but guys the 630d GT might come home. Of course will wait till i TD it and see if its worth it. For someone who is looking at a car which is quicker and offers more than the 2 litres can with extra levels of comfort, the 630d GT could be it. I think it would be a better drive than the E350d LWB.

But when you say DOA, it might just be that. Maybe many people wont take a shine to it, I certainly have though.

Also I checked out the specification sheet as soon as it was taken live. Does anybody know exactly what features the 630d GT M sport misses over the 530d M sport?

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 21st June 2018 at 21:57.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 22:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
I drive a 530d F10 as a daily drive and am sort of sick of the hard suspension. In comparison to the cars with air suspension, the 530d's (F10 and G30) are both a very harsh ride. Whereas the 6GT with air suspension is smoother, I guess.
That's strange, hope you are talking about the rear and not on the front which I never found lacking. Besides, a small push on the pedal can surely help

Quote:
They are both priced within 5-6 lakhs of each other, the 530d and 630d GT. Whereas the 530d gives a better handling, the 630d GT would give almost similar performance with a much better ride albeit with poorer handling.
Please do take drives and post your feedback here. Regarding prices, 530D M Sports is 66,20 Plus around 5 lac discount and 6 GT - M Sports is 73,70, so the On-Road price difference will be over 10 Lac easily but not 15 as perceived by me (I had 60-62 lac price for 530-D in my head, looks they have increased the prices in-between)

Quote:
Does anybody know exactly what features the 630d GT M sport misses over the 530d M sport?
Nothing I can see. Looks similar.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2018 at 22:24.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Visited Krishna Motors in Chandigarh and received a quote of INR 71 Lac on road (Punjab RTO) for 630d GT. While the car is an absolute pleasure but I was tad disappointed due to lack of adaptive cruise control. I can live without xDrive but adaptive cruise control is on priority for me.

I drive with my 3 year old in rear seat and I would love to have radar based safety features to make me and my family safer during highway drives.

The sales executive tried explaining why adaptive cruise control is not useful in India as moving vehicles and objects can slow down your speed. His spiel was- power and speed of BMW. For me, safety features are priority at this price point.

Reluctantly, I am looking at Volvo S90 and XC 60.
drive_or_die is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks