Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 09:15   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The bookings begin in January, while the first deliveries will begin in March.
Old 29th December 2006, 09:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Goldie BMW engine specs are more or less same all over the world so these would be the standard spec engines: ...
They might change a bit but mostly should remain similar for India spec.
Thanks, Ishan. I was concerned if they would dilute the power specs to account for Indian conditions. Though they still might do that.

Quote:
Also I think the 325i/530i are going to be pretty quick to drive!!
You bet - having ripped a 330i on an Autobahn, I know how it feels
Old 29th December 2006, 10:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
have heard the runflats make the ride very bumpy and hard. ???
any personal experience ??
They certainly do though the latest Bridgestons are a big improvement. My concern is on long distance driving. A run flat is good for around 160 km. Distance between two BMW dealers will be 1000 km +. Tyre cannot be repaired after being run flat. Hope BMW have stocked spares. Other aspect is that the 3 series does not have a spare wheel well in the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Wow that seems like quite a heavily loaded spec-list. Would definetely be a surprise for the Mercs which have been selling cars with low equipment & sad engines till recently. Let the war begin, I'm already excited about this matchup!!!
Merc diesels are quite decent - not as good as the BMW but longer lasting (BMW diesels known to eat turbos). We are stuck with slightly older petrol engines due to lack of low suphur fuel for the twin pulse engines. A C280 would be nice. MErc am sure are waiting to roll out a potent C class package over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The spec sheet is impressive. At least now Merc will be forced to spruce up their cars which have been pretty "basic" when it comes to features. BUT, ACI was right. There is no manual and I don't understand why BMW is doing this. Come on, they sell manuals in the AT capital of the galaxy : North America and they decide to chuck out MT in India! If I was in the market for a car in this price range, I'd wait for the new Merc C class.

Even Audi disappointed me with their insistance on the 1.8T engine on the A4. Give us the 2.0 TFSI! Maybe the entry of BMW will force them into action!

With the exception of leather, metallic paint and parking sensors, the merc comes with most things if I recall. Audi FSI is an issue due to lack of low sulphur petrol
Old 29th December 2006, 12:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

With the exception of leather, metallic paint and parking sensors, the merc comes with most things if I recall.
Look at the spec list more closely...The E class doesnt include the foll:
Xenon
Headlamp washer
On board computer with TV
Cruise control with Brake
17 and 18inchers with Runflats

All these features may seems minor but they are very costly, curious to see what the pricing is going to be, if it is cheaper or even at par with MB then BMW is gonna be far more VFM than the merc.

MB better spruce up its game, the war has begun !
Old 29th December 2006, 12:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They certainly do though the latest Bridgestons are a big improvement. My concern is on long distance driving. A run flat is good for around 160 km. Distance between two BMW dealers will be 1000 km +. Tyre cannot be repaired after being run flat. Hope BMW have stocked spares. Other aspect is that the 3 series does not have a spare wheel well in the boot.
Yes, the 3-series doesnt have a spare wheel. heard thats a bit of controversary with ARAI. As per rules, every car shud have a spare wheel. Lets wait and watch. Also considering there will not be more BMW dealerships initially in the country, may be the BMW should give a spare wheel for the time being till they have enough service centers atleast.
Old 29th December 2006, 12:41   #21
BHPian

BMW thanks for beginning the war... MB's monopoly after so many years finally ends! Im sure now MB will come up with some goodies (which they will HAVE to).

But these options are jus unbelieveable if priced right, which I heard it was going to cost same as the MBs.. whats bad road pacakage?

GO BMW!!!
Old 29th December 2006, 12:44   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Look at the spec list more closely...The E class doesnt include the foll:
Xenon
Headlamp washer
On board computer with TV
Cruise control with Brake
17 and 18inchers with Runflats

All these features may seems minor but they are very costly, curious to see what the pricing is going to be, if it is cheaper or even at par with MB then BMW is gonna be far more VFM than the merc.

MB better spruce up its game, the war has begun !
Apples with apples - C 200 K comes with sunroof. 320 does not only 325
Xenons - agreed - headlamp washers necessary with Xenons
Onboard computer - e class has it if i am right, cruise control definately
17/18 run flat - I really do not call it an advantage
Old 29th December 2006, 13:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apples with apples - C 200 K comes with sunroof. 320 does not only 325
Xenons - agreed - headlamp washers necessary with Xenons
Onboard computer - e class has it if i am right, cruise control definately
17/18 run flat - I really do not call it an advantage
The E class onboard computer is an ordinary one located in the middle of the speedometer. The BMW interface on the other hand is far more advanced with the idrive screen located in the center on the dash board. MB provides this only if you have NAV i think. The BMW idrive and current merc on board computer cannot even be compared.
Old 29th December 2006, 17:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
So, no manuals on offer as of now.
and they call their cars Perfect Driving Machines Totally appauling
Old 29th December 2006, 18:38   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats insightful...I didnt think about the problem with repair and lack of spare wheel. I think it would do BMW owners good to just change to regular high performance tyres (More practicality for our conditions)
Old 29th December 2006, 20:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The E class onboard computer is an ordinary one located in the middle of the speedometer. The BMW interface on the other hand is far more advanced with the idrive screen located in the center on the dash board. MB provides this only if you have NAV i think. The BMW idrive and current merc on board computer cannot even be compared.
I think thats quite unfair considering the 5 series has the iDrive as standard on all its variants. It really is of no use to the person who doesn't have NAV etc.
I'm honestly very impressed at the trim offered as standard by BMW but it was quite honestly expected. I would've been surprised if they had offered the iDrive in the 3 series. It isn't confirmed yet though if they do offer it on the 3 then I applaud BMW.
Old 29th December 2006, 20:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Valid point, but this can also be an issue in certain parts of Australia and the US. Wonder what BMW has to say about this.
Old 30th December 2006, 05:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? View Post
I think thats quite unfair considering the 5 series has the iDrive as standard .
Thats exactly why I said the onboard computers are beyond compare.

I think BMW should (or maybe is) provide NAV option to customers, there might not be many takers but considering the fact that the iDrive is already present it would be easy to have the NAV setup once BMW develops a disc with India maps. Several people have been opting for Garmin and other Nav systems for relativly high prices in India so BMW should cash in on this option too.

Last edited by Sahil : 30th December 2006 at 05:17.
Old 30th December 2006, 13:50   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just got off the phone with BMW. I was still hoping but sorry, no manuals at all.

If it helps, the 6 series will come with an SMG.
Old 30th December 2006, 16:44   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO- Can u give me their contact number?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks