Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 17:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month

Anish Rajan, a first-time car buyer from Gurgaon, shares his story about how his new Hyundai Verna developed faults and was replaced with a brand new car by the local dealer.

On June 10, 2018, Anish booked the Hyundai Verna VTVT EX AT model from Himgiri Auto India in Gurgaon. This was his first car purchase. As promised, the car was delivered to him on June 22. The next day (June 23), he realised that the car's AC was not performing as expected. He took the car to the dealer, who requested him to keep the car for one more day and check if the problem persisted.

However, the very next day (June 24), the AC stopped working completely and the car was taken to the dealer once again. The engine temperature needle was also immediately moving to the center position on startup. Normally, the needle should move up to the center position gradually as the engine warms up and reaches its operating temperature. On the dealer's advice, the vehicle was taken to the service center, but the problem could not be diagnosed.

On June 25, the dealer took the car back to the service center. It was confirmed that the AC was malfunctioning and the service center was trying to rectify the problem. At the end of the day, the dealer called Anish once again and told him that the whole car was being replaced due to this fault. Multiple reasons were given including blower not working, gas leak, compressor not working, etc.

On 26 June, Anish got a confirmation through e-mail that a new car would be delivered within 10-15 working days. Sure enough, a new car of the same colour was delivered to him on July 10.

This is what Anish has to say about his experience.
Quote:
An experience of buying your first car has to be a great one, but this experience so far has been nothing but really frustrating. I chose Hyundai after recommendation by a lot of friends who own a Hyundai car. So, I decided to reach out to them. Despite multiple calls and e-mails, no one from Hyundai has bothered to call me till date.
He has some good words for the sales advisor.
Quote:
The only positive aspect in this entire ordeal has been the exemplary customer service of Himgiri Auto India and my SPOC Nalin, who has been very prompt and considerate in his responses. But, that doesn't take away the horrific experience that I faced.
Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month-2017hyundaiverna06.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:31   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month

Wow it is shocking to see a brand new Hyundai developing a serious fault, right on the 2nd day! Must've been quite frustrating for the owner. But then, sometimes a bad egg might roll out from the factory.

On the other hand, it's heartening to see the dealer and Hyundai replacing the COMPLETE CAR! Who does that today?! What with all these horror stories around Skoda dealers and most manufacturers nowadays.

I'm even more surprised at the fact that the owner didn't have to send mail after mail to every top official at Hyundai to get his issue sorted. Yes, it seems they haven't responded to him, which they should have, with an apology, but hey, they did replace the car.
Hyundai seems to have handled this perfectly and deserve credit for it.
Rohan24 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

With all the HORROR stories of dealers & CAR manufacturers, I believe it is EXEMPLARY example of dealer & Hyundai to replace car, without the ordeals that we have read about on this very forum.
He is one the best customer service example & he must appreciate & thank HIMGIRI & HYUNDAI.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:44   #4
BHPian

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

A dealer would give the car after registering it on the customer's name, paying the tax and insurance. Now when the car itself has changed, how does he take care of that unless he is taking the hit of the entire amount for the first car's insurance / registration charges. The first car would already be registered and cant be sold off as a new car again. Why would the dealer take this hit ?

Or am I missing something here.
toiingg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Replacing a faulty car that too so promptly!! While the user may say he had a horrific experience I think he has no clue what could really have happened with him given the history of similar cases.

I also think that certain details may be missing from the narrative because dealers don't just replace cars so easily but what the heck, a Hyundai customer didn't end up with a lemon so all's well that ends well!

Himgiri Auto India - Good job!
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 09:37   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month

Hat's off to the dealer for replacing the car without any stress to the customer whatsoever. And to Hyundai too as they would for sure be in the loop on this. We've seen car owners run from pillar to post for far worse problems than these, and still not getting a resolution.

That said, the car would definitely have developed a more serious fault which hasn't been shared with your friend. Engine damage? Saying this due to the temperature needle shooting up.

Nevertheless, all's well that ends well.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 10:18   #7
BHPian

Since we don't have details on what exactly transpired b/w the customer and Hyundai and b/w the dealership and Hyundai, I'm not sure how to react to this.

The way I look at it, either there was a major goof-up from the OEM (or its dealer) due to which they decided to replace the car altogether before it spirals out of control and becomes bad publicity, or it was a case of a one-off lemon and exemplary customer service! Due to lack of details here, I am slightly inclined to believe it was the former!

Nevertheless, all is well that ends well for the customer!

It'll be interesting to see whether the customer was absolved of the ownership of the first car.
Added_flavor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 10:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

I wonder why all manufacturers do not follow this example. Have some sort of criteria for qualifying a car as lemon (Eg: repeated visits to service center). Just replace the damn thing (like Hyundai did) and save yourself from bad press. Huge gains will be made in terms of customer satisfaction too.

After taking the lemon back, fix all problems at leisure and sell it off to an used car dealer. Worst case scenario: 20 to 30% loss on price of the car. Every manufacturer must have an idea about percentage of lemons produced by them and it is unlikely to be very high anyway.

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th July 2018 at 10:57.
SmartCat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 10:41   #9
BHPian

I can understand when the owner says that this isn't what one would expect while purchasing their first car. However, he should read some of the horror stories people have faced with other manufacturers. They have lost time, money and mental peace. He is fortunate that he didn't have to go through any stress.

I am sure the car may have developed some serious engine issues for Hyundai and the dealer to even consider providing a replacement.

Kudos to the dealer for diagnosing the issue and reporting to Hyundai.
Kudos to Hyundai for swiftly deciding on replacement.

The owner should take all of his friends who recommended Hyundai for drinks. They chose wisely.

Last edited by mac187 : 13th July 2018 at 10:43.
mac187 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 13:08   #10
BHPian

June 22nd first car delivered & July 10th second car delivered, so it's 18 days (only) unfortunate time compared to many horrific incidents recorded on tbhp. He is fortunate enough that he didn't have to knock the consumer court or any other means.

However, it's difficult to convince myself that they replace car just for air-con problem.

Kudos to dealer and now I have more respect to Hyundai.
Old 13th July 2018, 13:55   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

And how does this simple and eminently sensible gesture compare with Mercedes or VAG? Think of the goodwill Hyundai is earning on Team BHP and with scores of other potential customers. I wonder how the German III treat their customers in Germany or Western Europe.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 14:40   #12
BHPian

I am pretty sure something was discovered by Hyundai in the car which could have become a major headline. And hence the promptness. If it did make headlines, it would have made things very difficult for a car that is fighting tooth and nail with Honda City and Ciaz.

Nevertheless, kudos to Hyundai for not making the customer sweat it out.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

This post only tell us how serious and brilliant Hyundai is in comparison to other manufacturers.

The car is replaced without any questions. Simple.

It is hard to get a dish replaced in a restaurant and here we have an entire car being replaced.

The owner should be thrilled and should thank his stars and the dealer should getan applause.

It is a car and this stuff happens. They make tens of thousands of cars and every now and then there could be some problem.

He could be crying and going pillar to post and nothing would happen nor would Hyundai feel any pinch. They would still sell cars.

Excellent Hyundai.
vkochar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 18:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

A dealer would give the car after registering it on the customer's name, paying the tax and insurance. Now when the car itself has changed, how does he take care of that unless he is taking the hit of the entire amount for the first car's insurance / registration charges. The first car would already be registered and cant be sold off as a new car again. Why would the dealer take this hit ?

Or am I missing something here.
Actually that's not true. Registration takes a while, usually it takes about 4-6weeks to get the car registered. And most of this time is taken by the dealership and not the RTO. So, in this case since the problem was detected early chances are they probably would not have processed the documents for registration, thereby giving them the option to offer a diff car. And as for insurance, I am sure that also can be managed since they give so much business to them. Think of it like this, say you buy a new car and for some reason the chasis number mentioned or the model mentioned in the insurance documents is incorrect, but you still can get that changed later whenever you realise that mistake. And in this particular case, chances are that the actual insurance was probably not processed and he was probably on a cover note.
All this just goes to show it the dealership wants to help someone with a genuine issue, they can. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2018 at 18:13. Reason: Typo.
Palaver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 18:47   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

All kudos to the Dealership and Hyundai. Now it seems that consumer is king, is the new mantra. It is because of taxation woes that warranty replacements are not the norm.

Most Viewed