Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2018, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Ford Freestyle to get an Automatic variant

According to a media report, Ford is likely to introduce an automatic variant to the Freestyle line up. The Ford Freestyle was launched in India in April 2018. The car is offered in petrol and diesel variants paired with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Rumour: Ford Freestyle to get an Automatic variant-freestyle3.jpg

Ford has said that automatics accounted for 20% of the total vehicles sold by the company. In cities like Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi, 40% of all customers preferred automatics over the manual transmission.

The Freestyle is a Compact Utility Vehicle based on the Figo. It gets rugged exterior styling and is powered by a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine which puts out 95 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 120 Nm of torque @ 4,250 rpm, and a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit makes 99 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and a peak torque of 215 Nm @ 1,750-3,000 rpm. Both engines are currently offered with a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Ford is yet to confirm the automatic transmission for the Freestyle.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 18:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ford Freestyle to get an Automatic variant

Good news! What Ford can do is to continue offering Figo hatchback in petrol-automatic combination and introduce a new diesel-automatic with Freestyle. They should take the success of new Honda Amaze as an inspiration.

Last edited by Flyer : 18th July 2018 at 18:17.
Flyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 20:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news - the absence of an automatic was one weakness in the Freestyle lineup.

I wonder if they'll be brave enough to offer a diesel automatic (as Flyer mentioned), or if we will get a petrol. And if petrol, then which one? Lift-and-shift the 1.5+DCT from the Figo, or the new 1.5+TC from the EcoSport?

I for one wish for the latter. I do hope they don't go for a 1.2+TC combination, tempted though they may be by the tax bracket savings.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 20:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hope it is the 1.5 + TC as used in the new EcoSport.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th July 2018, 21:56   #5
BHPian

The main USP of Freestyle is its fantastic list of safety gear at a very competitive price point. Yet, the tremendous appreciation here in TeamBHP, does not reflect in sales numbers. If they were to bring in 1.5 with a DCT they clearly loose that USP. The 1.5 with TC would make the more premium Ecosport's customers feel shortchanged, and perhaps even eat up it's numbers. From what all I've heard, at 96 horses, the 1.2 is fantastic, and perhaps overpowers the Freestyle. The 1.5, with 120 horses would be insane for this car. It makes sense only if they retain the 1.2 petrol and bring in the TC.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 22:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
And if petrol, then which one? Lift-and-shift the 1.5+DCT from the Figo, or the new 1.5+TC from the EcoSport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hope it is the 1.5 + TC as used in the new EcoSport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
If they were to bring in 1.5 with a DCT they clearly loose that USP. The 1.5 with TC would make the more premium Ecosport's customers feel shortchanged, and perhaps even eat up it's numbers. From what all I've heard, at 96 horses, the 1.2 is fantastic, and perhaps overpowers the Freestyle. The 1.5, with 120 horses would be insane for this car. It makes sense only if they retain the 1.2 petrol and bring in the TC.
It won't be a DCT for sure. Ford have discontinued the DCT. Even the Figo facelift is coming with a TC mated to 1.5 L mill (same as Ecosport).

Let's hope Ford will be brave enough to offer a Diesel Auto.
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 11:44   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2018 at 17:50.
kpkeerthi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2018, 12:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Let's hope Ford will be brave enough to offer a Diesel Auto.
Ford may be brave enough to offer a diesel AT. Will our market be brave enough to buy it?

I'd really like the idea of a diesel AT, since the tremendous power and drivability offered by Ford's diesel will easily overcome the slight lag/sluggishness of a TC. It won't give the Polo TSi a run for it's money, but it will probably give us 90% of the fun at a lower cost. And it will appeal to those buyers who see ATs as inefficient, but diesel as an affordable fuel.

But even if it does well in the metros, it will not achieve sales volumes anywhere close to the EcoSport - and will that be enough to satisfy Ford's honchos? Because a Freestyle diesel AT might be a start, but I would then want to see them making a similar offering with the EcoSport as well.

Let's see, time will tell. We can wish for a diesel AT (I am), but must realistically temper our expectations to a petrol AT.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2018 at 17:51. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 12:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great news and much needed in cities like Mumbai, Bangalore etc. Its a perfect car for city with small footprint, good GC, excellent safety features and potent engines. Only missing point was probably the AT variants.

I don't think they will plonk the 1.5L Torque Converter from ecosport in this, rather mate the TC to the 1.2 dragon petrol(which apparently is not bad either) in order to take advantage of the sub 4m tax benefit. Diesel AT would be welcome but if they really do it I believe that will be first on the Ecosport(their bread-butter car)

Currently if I look at sub 10L petrol ATs with high GC(190mm+), only options are Ecosport and Nexon. This would be a good addition at slight lower price-point and might be a bit more frugal than the two.

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th July 2018 at 12:44.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 12:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
We can wish for a diesel AT (I am), but must realistically temper our expectations to a petrol AT.
The reason I am expecting a diesel automatic in Freestyle is because Figo and Ecosport already comes with a petrol automatic. Offering the same engine and gearbox combination in Freestyle doesn't make sense in terms of marketing because Freestyle will surely eat into the sales of Figo's automatics.

A diesel auto combination will surely help boost the under performing sales of Freestyle.

Last edited by Flyer : 19th July 2018 at 12:46.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 12:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Petrol does have a future, diesel is pretty uncertain not in terms of future but in terms of regulations. Configuring a diesel is at risk due to this. Also the price point might be too high.

Saying that Honda have broken through the mould with the CVT auto
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 00:34   #12
BHPian

We were in the market for a small automatic hatchback recently and I reluctantly finalised the Hyundai Grand i10 because Ford wasn't offering an automatic variant of the Freestyle. How I wish it was a part of the launch configuration!
aryayush is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 15:06   #13
BHPian

From Ford India's Instagram page:

Rumour: Ford Freestyle to get an Automatic variant-ford-freestyle-automatic.png

Source
Prathiiik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:37   #14
BHPian

AMT?

I really hope Ford doesn't bring an AMT into the mix. It is absolutely a cash cow, no second thoughts about it. But the brand is going to take a hit when playing with competitors like Hyundai. Think of a Ecosport AMT vs. a Creta AT.

Love the looks of the Freestyle. Hope they don't tarnish it by sticking an AMT in there.
Old 2nd November 2018, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
AMT?

I really hope Ford doesn't bring an AMT into the mix.

Love the looks of the Freestyle. Hope they don't tarnish it by sticking an AMT in there.
I think they had categorically mentioned that they won't be using AMT technology in any of their cars. Read it somewhere in this forum itself. They might launch it with the 1.2L dragon itself for two reasons.

One, it will help them differentiate between the Freestyle and the Ecosport better. And two, the 1.5L Dragon petrol with a TC will push the price up significantly, and will again lead to point one . See how steeply the Aspire automatic has been priced in comparison to the Titanium+ manual variant for reference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks