Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2018, 17:12   #1
BHPian

Mahindra to discontinue Verito and Verito Vibe

Mahindra's Verito sedan and Verito Vibe hatchback will soon see its final days, thanks to the company's decision to focus more on SUVs. Both models are already struggling badly in the market, it makes total sense to pull the plug!

Mahindra will continue to sell the e-verito.

Mahindra to discontinue Verito and Verito Vibe-images.jpeg

Mahindra to discontinue Verito and Verito Vibe-mahindraveritovibea4aa0181600x1200.jpg

Quote:
The Verito sedan and Verito Vibe hatchback will face the brunt of the company’s latest strategy as they are Mahindra's only non-UV offerings. Hence, these models will eventually be phased out of the brand’s product line-up. Additionally, neither model has been a money-spinner and the company has no plans to ready them to meet BS-VI emission norms.
Quote:
Rajan Wadhera, president, Mahindra, Automotive Division, spoke about the Verito duo, saying, “That was a product we came up with a long time ago and over a period of time it will fade away.” To add to it, Mahindra’s MD & CEO, Pawan Goenka said, “In the future our product portfolio will be BS-VI-compliant, which means we can discontinue the low-volume products. Other than that, the Verito has moved towards the e-platform and so the conventional products may not go beyond the BS-VI timeline.”
Quote:
The Verito was a successor to the Logan – a product of the Mahindra-Renault alliance. It had never been a fast-moving product for Mahindra; and over time, its sales have seen a drastic drop. In the last fiscal year, Verito volumes dropped down to 721 units from 3,136 units in FY17.

Moreover, the Verito Vibe – which is a sub-4m derivative of the Verito – has become even more vulnerable as the company hasn’t produced a single unit of it this year and sold merely four units in the last fiscal.
Source:Autocar India
Flyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 18:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

At least the Verito made a case for an Airport Cab! The Verito Vibe had nothing going for it from day one.

The Logan was fundamentally a good car, a little late in its time may be. But it felt alright, just did not have the finesse of other modern cars. My dad owned a Logan for 5 years and it served him well. And similarly, the Verito, a rebadged Logan offered a better ride than the Etios. I have always preferred a Verito vs an Etios while returning from the Bangalore airport, if I had the choice.

But I somehow could not understand as to how someone at Mahindra is signing up products such as the Vibe. The way the boot was placed, well it beats all logic! At least they could have attempted a notch back, or if that was expensive, they could have just tried a hatch. Would have at least given the Ola Micras a run for the money!
motorworks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 18:55   #3
BHPian

re: Mahindra to discontinue Verito and Verito Vibe

Still have a Black Logan diesel which we got in 2007. Been 11 years and its still going strong. Has been a great car to own and drive. Has been a very reliable and sturdy car and has never let us down, my father likes it so much that he said he will use it as long as it will last post which we will scrap it.
Dushie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 19:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Logan was fundamentally a good car, a little late in its time may be.
Have driven both the 1.4 petrol and the 1.5 diesel extensively. Very good car which had all the basics right. One close friend had a first generation Verito which was totalled in a highway crash, and he went ahead and bought the updated version of the same car again. Used it till he recently upgraded to the Brezza.

What really went wrong was with the attitude of the bean counters. There was too much cost cutting evident every where you could see and feel, except with the price tag.

Mahindra tried to jazz it up with the Verito editions, but by then it was a case of too little and too late.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 19:22   #5
BHPian

I was expecting Mahindra to make some kind of pseudo SUV-ian version of the Vibe as a last ditch effort, and I'm half sad it didn't happen.

I liked the facelifted Verito model, especially the rear, with the LED look tail lamps. A very practical car, but it's had it's day. Adios!
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 19:32   #6
BHPian

I recently had a ride in a Uber Verito. This car had done 1.7 lac km and seemed to be in immaculate condition. No rattles or loud noise from the engine. I was pretty impressed.
RedHerring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 20:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

This september 2016 thread says production of Verito has been stopped
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-stopped.html

Looks like they took 2 years to clear all stocks
SmartCat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 21:39   #8
BANNED

Really surprised to hear that these were still on sale! It was a comfortable one as taxi as far as I remember. The drawback was the lack of mass appeal, it was kinda too boxy I guess. It would have been a perfect car were it was 2000, a car too late for the period.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Logan's biological parents were Renault and Dacia. It was born in 2004. Then Mahindra became it's local guardian in 2007. In 2011, Mahindra decided to adopt the Logan and rename it the Verito.

In 2018, Mahindra's Verito, already 14 years old, which in car years is octogenarian, is too old to be competent enough with the much younger competition.

Now, I have been a proud owner of a Renault Logan 1.4. I even took it to Khardung La. It came back in one piece, with no mechanical problems, not even a puncture. And I still feel sad that I had to let it go.

But, in today's market dynamics, a boxy 14 year old car won't cut it. The fact that new upcoming emission and crash test norms would anyway bar it from competing, Mahindra made a wise decision to let it go sooner.
ashutoshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 09:30   #10
BHPian

This is one car I prefer for a airport run! Have always admired the ride quality and do not think there is any other car in its segment that can match the same.

Most of the taxis I have been in had easily clocked well over 1 lakh KMs and where surprisingly devoid of any rattles or squeaks! Pity the car is going into a indefinite slumber!!
vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 09:48   #11
BHPian

The car when released ticked all essentials boxes in an average consumer's mind. Incidentally, it looked like boxes paired up too.

I found the ride comfortable and gizmo level, at par, with the gen-1 Etios, when I was scouting car showrooms for a relative.
The only reason we went with the Etios was we ourselves had the Corolla, and were pushing for the R-Quotient. Nonetheless, that Etios is still running strong and hearty.

With timely updates and feature upgrades, Verito could have been a worthy contender to Dzire.
Not to turn it into a rant post, but apart from Maruti and Hyundai, no other manufacturer is sticking to an ideal facelift-timeline strategy, which I guess is key for surviving in the Indian markets. MS & Hyundai , have a very well drafted policy and they stick to it (case in point : i20, i10, Ciaz, Swift )

Last edited by sharktale : 6th August 2018 at 09:52.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:13   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra to discontinue Verito and Verito Vibe

While the Logan / Verito had some endearing qualities (space, diesel engine, ride quality, durability), it was horribly outdated. Get this = In the same time that the Logan / Verito has been on sale, we have seen THREE different generations of cars like the Dzire. What's worse is that the Logan looked cheap & outdated at the time of launch. It simply has no place in the market in 2018. Here's a joke to make it worse = The Verito's top variant costs a million bucks on the road in Mumbai, while its electric version goes to almost 1.4 million .

Like Tata, Mahindra should also discontinue all its lame ducks so that it can focus on products with more potential.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 14:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

So what happens the the E-Verito, how will M&M maintain a presence in the electric car market beyond the piddly e2O?
Old 6th August 2018, 18:34   #14
BHPian

After decades of being the world's automotive garbage dump, the Indian customer is finally moving on from purchasing obsolete vehicles, often marketed status symbols (remember the Cielo? Astra? Contessa?). Now Indians prefer stripped down versions of internationally sold vehicles.

They may not be as safe, luxurious or technologically advanced but hey, atleast they'll look the same and have LED lights and chrome everywhere.
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:40   #15
BHPian

Even after one year of this news Mahindra is still selling the Verito/ Verito Vibe and in August 2019 managed to sell 110 copies of it.

Meanwhile this is my Verito (2011) still going strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to discontinue Verito and Verito Vibe-screenshot_20190918163742__02.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks