Team-BHP - Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/201117-audible-speed-alerts-mandatory-july-2019-a-12.html)

Just came to my mind if insurance companies can have access to speed alert(beeps above 80 & 120 kmph) logs from ECU and judge accident claims based on it, their claim rejection rate can touch new high. :Shockked:

The audible alerts are super irritating even on the new Innova Crysta. The audible alert @ 80 kmph is pain on Hyderabad ORR where we have 100 kmph speed limit. 120 kmph feels intrusive. These chimes should have been optional rather than mandatory.

It will be disturbing for people sleeping even at the 2nd/ 3rd row. :Frustrati

If no solution is found for this I may stick to my S Cross 1.6 until it goes for scrap.

One can forget driving over 120 kmph unless the music is super loud. Race tracks with these chimes will be a strict no no. Guess the used cars will be back in demand now

Any idea if this is applicable to the CBU's as well

Isuzu MU-X beeps once at crossing 80 kmph, once at crossing 100 kmph, and continously at crossing 120 kmph. The beeps are very subtle & non-intrusive with low volume. The seatbelt warning is definitely much much louder. It seems like Isuzu does not like the idea of these chimes but had no option so they did it in most non-intrusive way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPX (Post 4690559)
Just came to my mind if insurance companies can have access to speed alert(beeps above 80 & 120 kmph) logs from ECU and judge accident claims based on it, their claim rejection rate can touch new high. :Shockked:

If they really are interested, then there is also data at the moment of crash stored in the Airbag controller. A dump of this data gives what speed the car was being driven at before the crash. Insurance companies in India have not gone so deep into their claims and find other reasons to reject claims.

Quote:

The audible alerts are super irritating...
One can forget driving over 120 kmph unless the music is super loud.
This was one of the BIGGEST FACTORS that made me pick the 2019 May manufactured GT TDI in July, even though I knew the GTI-ish facelift was just around the corner.

The VW Sales Agent was quite surprised as to why I was so hell bent on this "soon to be a pre-facelift" variant, but I knew the this one did not have these irritating chimes. clap:

I don't know who takes these calls, but they sure are quite dumb IMO...just like the pointless tint/films ban. Indian automotive industry has boomed big time and many nuclear/extended families do loads of road trips. Rather than having such intrusive alerts, they could have installed Speed Guns on such roads and debit the penalty directly from the Fastag or at the next toll booth that the driver encountered!! :Frustrati

This might sound silly, but this speed alert is having a HUGE influence on my next purchase decision. Hopefully I find some old stocks of good cars that didn't sell, else would go the used car way!

Last thing I want is to disturb my family while doing legal speeds(80kmph). Beep once is irritating enough, once every minute is just dumbest thing ever! Imagine a 12 hour road trip.

Is there any way to challenge this silly rule, 80kmph specifically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4690886)

Last thing I want is to disturb my family while doing legal speeds(80kmph). Beep once is irritating enough, once every minute is just dumbest thing ever! Imagine a 12 hour road

The BMW i test drove has the following:
Beep ONCE when you cross to 80. Once you are above 80, no more beeps TILL you cross 120.
It beeps again when you cross 120.

There was NO continuous beep every minute.

BTW: Just came back from Dubai. The Taxi's there have the same beeping over 80 and it sounded continuous.

In my new Vento, it beeps only once after crossing 80 kmph, no persistent beeping. So, it really does not bother me much. There is continuous beep over 120 kmph which is extremely annoying. I am sure there will be a way to turn it off, but I feel that it is good for safety as 120 kmph is higher than all legal speed limits in India.
One good thing about the new regulations is the passenger seat belt reminder. This has been very helpful so far. So, a :thumbs up from my side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4691018)
In my new Vento, it beeps only once after crossing 80 kmph, no persistent beeping. So, it really does not bother me much. There is continuous beep over 120 kmph which is extremely annoying. I am sure there will be a way to turn it off, but I feel that it is good for safety as 120 kmph is higher than all legal speed limits in India.

Even I have driven multiple vehicles with this speed alert chime. Personally, I don't find 80kmph chime intrusive / irritating. Infact its a good reminder that I have hit 80kmph, as in some vehicles its very easy to hit triple digits without realizing.

As far as 120kmph chime is concerned, I rarely go beyond 100kmph (only while overtaking), except when I am at a access controlled test track where my primary focus is altogether different and so hardly get distracted by the chime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 4690849)
Rather than having such intrusive alerts, they could have installed Speed Guns on such roads and debit the penalty directly from the Fastag or at the next toll booth that the driver encountered!! :Frustrati

So, we should expect all the enforcement by the government and no self-discipline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indian21r (Post 4690611)
The audible alerts are super irritating even on the new Innova Crysta. The audible alert @ 80 kmph is pain on Hyderabad ORR where we have 100 kmph speed limit. 120 kmph feels intrusive. These chimes should have been optional rather than mandatory.

It will be disturbing for people sleeping even at the 2nd/ 3rd row.

Sir, did you just say comfort is higher priority than safety ??

Sorry to be sounding rude, but I feel astonished to see so many posts complaining about the continuous beep over 120kmph, when there are hardly any roads in India where one can safely do such speeds; and its illegal too. :deadhorse

Many people somehow get this pseudo sense of invisibility while speeding in these tin-boxes. All vehicles, whatever their construction or material, are supposed to be driven responsibly; else they'll crumble in a mess, taking along the occupants.

PS: I am into a profile where I need to push vehicles upto their top speeds, but that's in a controlled environment. And trying the same on public roads is strict no for me. Moreover, I feel more relaxed while going on long trips driving in 95~100kmph zone.

Dear Mods : Team-BHP rules don't permit posts having references to dangerous driving. I am surprised to see so many post indirectly promoting driving beyond legal speeds.

I picked up a new Suzuki Baelno Zeta in Jul'19 this year. It is a BS6 model with the 80 KMPH periodic chime & 100 KMPH continuous chime speed warning.

I often drive on the 4 lane that is 2 mins from my house & I must acknowledge the effectiveness of this specially when I have my kids with me. Initially I used to find it irritating but now after reading this post & reflecting, I must say the chimes are really effective. Even on this 4 lane tolled road where I see buses & trucks also doing a steady high speed, I have rarely crossed 80 KMPH, because of those irritating chimes & the related queries from my kids. Do not want to set a wrong example & tell them just ignore ! So I believe while it may be irritating, it does discourage one to drive above 80 kmph despite the roads allowing one to. Hopefully as more & more new vehicles hit the road; with this feature we will see a drop in high speed driving. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoNoob (Post 4691130)
Sir, did you just say comfort is higher priority than safety ??

Chimes every minute in 80 to 120 kmph band are irritating. Personal preference

How are the chimes safety feature? I am always conscious of the speeds I drive at. I wish for safety of both the passengers as well the fellow road users including pedestrians and animals. Rather than make audible alerts I prefer if government prioritizes road safety education and things like zebra crossing etc. Even speeds of 50 kmph are not safe if people / animals / vehicles jump out of nowhere.

I do drive in the band upto 120 /130 kmph once in a while where the roads are barricaded or have long range visibility. But generally prefer driving in the 90-110 kmph range.

Quote:

Moreover, I feel more relaxed while going on long trips driving in 95~100kmph zone.

80 kmph speed limit on even 6 lane highways makes almost all of us rule breakers. I think roads with speed limits of 100 kmph are minuscule. I am all for penalties for high speed driving but keep the speed limits realistic. Maybe it is time to revise the speed limits with improved infrastructure and road education.

Quote:

Dear Mods : Team-BHP rules don't permit posts having references to dangerous driving. I am surprised to see so many post indirectly promoting driving beyond legal speeds.

Wiki says, 120 is the speed limit on expressways in India, so sound start at the point of the imposed limits, which could have been at 5 or 10km/hr more.

We need to also consider that most cars have 10% error in indicated speed, so alarm is triggered well below the advised limit.

What will the government do once we have better roads and slightly higher speed limits in the future?

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4691166)
Wiki says, 120 is the speed limit on expressways in India?

Is it really 120kmph. I just did NH 16 yesterday where I saw boards mentioning 80 kmph. I remember only Hyderabad ORR having 120kmph speed limits that too for a short duration only. Rarely have I encountered 100kmph across my drives in India

I have to look elsewhere for my pending speedometer console upgrade for the Crysta Gx. I can't buy one from here for it will come with the chime, will have to import it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indian21r (Post 4691173)
Is it really 120kmph. I just did NH 16 yesterday where I saw boards mentioning 80 kmph. I remember only Hyderabad ORR having 120kmph speed limits that too for a short duration only. Rarely have I encountered 100kmph across my drives in India

For Expressway its mentioned as 120, for NH 100 and for some category of Urban roads its 70.