Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 19:39   #1
BHPian

Government plans to reduce max noise levels of horns to <100 decibels

In an effort to restrain the increasing noise pollution in Indian roads, the government is planning to bring the noise level of vehicle horns under 100 decibels, a reduction of about 10% from the existing maximum permissible limit.

The current prescribed noise range for vehicle horns in India is 93 db to 112 db.

Quote:
As per Central Motor Vehicle Rules, the noise range for horns is currently fixed between 93 decibels (dB) and 112 dB. "We are looking to bring down this range to 88dB at the lower end with the maximum limit at just under 100dB," said Abhay Damle, joint secretary in the ministry of road transport and highways.
Source

Last edited by Flyer : 8th September 2018 at 19:40.
Flyer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 19:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Government plans to reduce max noise levels of horns to <100 decibels

Good move, but implementation is tough.

Honking is almost an offence in most countries.

Here, the more powerful the horn, the more respect one gets.

If the proposal is implemented, the first horns to go would be the Roots Megasonic, Hella Red grilles; maybe even the Roots Vibrosonic which is the most effective horn within current legal limits.

Last edited by vigsom : 8th September 2018 at 19:55. Reason: punc. marks and spacing
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 20:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
If the proposal is implemented, the first horns to go would be the Roots Megasonic, Hella Red grilles; maybe even the Roots Vibrosonic which is the most effective horn within current legal limits.
I doubt it, because most of the people who use them, are people who consider themselves above ( and probably are) above the law.

EDIT. a typical OEM horn produces 115 dB at 2m, which translates to 104db at 7m (which is what is used for the indian horn testing spec) and would also become illegal - we are looking at some seriously quiet horns here. A garbage truck at 1m is 100dB loud, so I wonder what is the point of a horn which is quieter than that.

Also enforcement - even if we do give cops decibel meters, as the whole silencers fiasco has shown, educating them on the subtleties of using them ( observing the proper distance, test conditions etc) is pointless - they'll stick them right in front, in which case they'll obviously be too loud.

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th September 2018 at 20:40.
greenhorn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 22:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move in my opinion. Every rule has to start somewhere. Take helmets for both riders or seatbelts for both front passengers.

Everything takes time. We dismiss too many such initiatives ab initio.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 00:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Given how much 'honk and barge into impossible gaps' urban driving we see everyday, removing horns altogether is probably a much better idea. We can have reduced noise and better driving on our roads in one fell swoop.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Buses, trucks, tractors, auto-rickshaws, these vehicles easily produce very high levels of decibels: what if the new rule imposes horns quieter than these vehicles?
It would be laughable scenario.

First make the vehicles quieter.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:55   #7
BHPian

This move appears to legalize usage of horns for very stupid reason.

I think it's high time we have a quota for horns. Something like three times a day sounds about fair to me. And it's not like somebody will die just because the vehicles don't have horns (unless someone is hellbent on killing)

P.S: Perhaps off topic, but looks like the government is only keen on passing orders and not doing anything to really to educate people on driving in a sensible and civic manner.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 10th September 2018 at 10:56.
Old 10th September 2018, 11:05   #8
BHPian

I guess this will make sure the meeky horn of my Xcent will at least be "heard" in the sea of ear-jarring horns going around once they become illegal. On a serious note, it's about time to bring down the noise levels of these horns which are more nuisance than useful in the hands of our law-abiding drivers.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 11:45   #9
BHPian

It's a step in the right direction, although it is tough to implement no doubt. Horn has become such a big issue here in Mumbai that i have stopped riding my bike and taking public transport ( trains) so that i have a more peaceful journey. Even casual outings have become stressful due to constant and unnecessary honking. Worst is since our house faces the street even at midnight people honk and drive to disturb our sleep. I don't mind banning the horn completely so that we start using our legs more than our hand when someone comes in front of us.
Old 10th September 2018, 12:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Given how much 'honk and barge into impossible gaps' urban driving we see everyday, removing horns altogether is probably a much better idea. We can have reduced noise and better driving on our roads in one fell swoop.
Sometime back, I actually tried driving a 25 km Delhi - Gurgaon stretch without honking even once. While it is possible for a few kms, on Indian roads there will always be drivers/pedestrians that will make you blow the horn, or else an accident is certain. In an ideal scenario, no horns can suffice, but we are far from ideal unfortunately.
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 14:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Imagine a highway in India and a road crosser with a bunch of sheep or cows, OR a lorry changing the lane slowly and coming on to your track when You are going at a speed of 80 KMPH(Not assuming any speed more than norms, but, in reality, this is a too idealistic situation to imagine)

Do you think you will be able to bring their attention without a big loud horn ?

If this 100DB becomes law only for city limits, then, we can still survive. Else, if this is the norm on any road in India, I think this will result in the increase in number of accidents on Highway

Simply stating, In India, the culture of honking is considered a necessity to give way to other vehicles and accepted widely by public and they obey the honks and, by nature, are not sensible on the roads. (No offense meant to anyone)

As against, In foreign countries, the culture of honking is considered insulting the other vehicle driver OR pedestrian.

Hence, I honestly think the horn need to be at a level that is "Heard" by the people. No doubt, it is annoying, but ultimately, the life of an individual on the road is important than the small annoyance for others.

Last edited by gkveda : 10th September 2018 at 14:15.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 10:27   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Government plans to reduce max noise levels of horns to <100 decibels

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Sometime back, I actually tried driving a 25 km Delhi - Gurgaon stretch without honking even once.
Distinguished-BHPian Tejas did too - here is his interesting thread (Driving in bombay without a horn).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 11:44   #13
BHPian

A very welcome move I'd say !

Some fellow members are raising concerns about implementation hurdles - how policemen would enforce the db limit, necessity in rural areas, lack of awareness about sound limits et al.

IMHO, if the govt. atleast issues a blanket ban on producing any horn above the designated limit, that'd atleast ensure the new vehicles hitting the road comply with the limits. Further, for people like me with extreme sound sensitivity this move will be a boon! I am often shocked out of senses when I'm riding my bike and a big lorry/truck blares its god-knows-how-much decibel horn from behind me, which figuratively has an effect of me jumping out of my skin, à la Tom in the T&J series!

As for old/existing vehicles with horns violating this rule, it's a different take how police will enforce the db limits.

Hopefully govt. goes ahead with this move, and there needs to be a collective awareness across the country and educate the town & village folk about proper road usage/rules! Just saying it (haywire driving and hence honking) is hardwired into the mass psyche, and hence let status-quo be maintained isn't enough IMHO!
Old 14th September 2018, 08:19   #14
BHPian

I recently had to replace my VW Vento horn, and the new horn is completely toned down version of its predecessor.

Since i procrastinated my service appointment, I drove without a functioning horn for over 3 months in Bangalore and made a highway trip to Kabini seamlessly.

I believe it comes down to habbit/ driving etiquette.
rauldsouza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 08:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Distinguished-BHPian Tejas did too - here is his interesting thread (Driving in bombay without a horn).
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
This move appears to legalize usage of horns for very stupid reason.

I do it every single day. The key is having enough time at hand, so you can slow down for pedestrians or cattle or even stop if necessary, instead of creating so much noise. Perhaps it helped me that I took my first four wheel driving license from California, but the fact that I have been doing it in Bangalore for the past 10 years shows it is very much doable. And if I, short-fuse can do, anybody can.
prakash_ajp is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks