Team-BHP - Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Jan - June 2018)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Jan - June 2018) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/201743-model-wise-petrol-vs-diesel-sales-figures-jan-june-2018-a-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4460484)
I own a diesel and prefer diesels and I live in Bangalore as well...However, I am not in the market for a new car as I am happy with my current ride. My plan is to stay put with my current car until the BS VI norms kick in and then take a call based on the situation.

That is a very wise thing to do. The BS VI norms are barely a year or so away. Almost all companies are working on BS VI compliant diesels. Hyundai, who make the super - refined and class-leading diesels are bringing in a new 1.5 L Diesel mill that will be BS VI compliant. Same is the case with Maruti. I am sure Honda is working on a BS VI engine as well. Ford is planning to replace their TDCi mill with the award winning Ecoblue diesel engines, which I suspect has a good chance of being better than Hyundai's diesels also

Makes a lot of sense to see how the norms pan out. I love the torque feeling of a diesel engine and my ride will always be a diesel no matter the price difference. I buy diesels for reasons other than mileage and price

Ford has a strong diesel reputation for sure! In spite of the Ecosport being available in petrol too, you still see a massive skew towards diesel. And this is actually bad for Ford. They need to break this perception and start higher conversions for petrol, else in the long run when Suzuki launches the Brezza in petrol or when Hyundai gets the new compact SUV in petrol ford would start feeling the pressure more.

And then Hyundai, if you look at the Verna vs the City and the Ciaz, its again got the highest skew in Diesel! And this is probably because of 2 things, one the diesel in the Verna is brilliant, and two the petrol in the Verna is less efficient. And the market sees thru this. If you see resale patterns, Verna petrols take a higher hit than the diesels.

So in India, cars or brands with a reputation for good diesels always have that skew towards diesels, Hyundai, Skoda and Ford being classic examples.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr (Post 4460488)
Now this leaves me terribly confused. :deadhorse
I booked a Freestyle Petrol and then changed it to the diesel because of the insane TDCI mill and the fact that I have a heavy foot problem. On the other hand I'm in urgent need of a new car.

Here is another article that highlights whats happening in Delhi: Delhi’s used diesel cars selling cheap in Punjab

No one knows for sure if these rules will come into effect anywhere outside Delhi but there are rumors floating which causes confusion.

There was also some notion that existing diesel cars (BS IV) may get damaged due to BS VI Diesel but that has been clarified somewhat: BS VI fuel won't damage existing BS IV engines

Some noted automobile manufacturers like FCA seem to be moving away from diesel engines in future as well: Jeep Maker Fiat Chrysler Will End All Diesel Models By 2022

From the above article:
Quote:

A move away from diesel in India may also be a politically led one, rather than actual market demand - which has declined primarily in Tier One markets, while remaining strong elsewhere
All these act as discouragements for people interested in buying Diesel cars and one has to wade thru the maze of activities happening to arrive at what is the real risk here. I am not sure if I cleared your confusion but just sharing some aspects that you need to be aware of around diesels to ensure you are able to weigh these and take the appropriate decision.

Not sure if it fits your scenario but maybe a pre-owned diesel car as a stop gap would possibly be less risk. But then everything is right now only a speculation and you may also be fine with buying your desired diesel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4460484)
In terms of pollution the other Metros including Bangalore are not very far from the Delhi like situation

This is far from truth, and I specially don't trust TOI. The only way in which you can come to this conclusion would be to compare the worst of Bangalore AQI to the best of NCR AQI. You have to spend the last 2 months and the 1st month of the year in NCR to know the reality. I've been there and I know the difference :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4460599)
There was also some notion that existing diesel cars (BS IV) may get damaged due to BS VI Diesel but that has been clarified somewhat: BS VI fuel won't damage existing BS IV engines

Even if this was true, would a car buyer wait till eternity for the new regulations to stop coming? BS IV was launched a year ago. In that case people contemplating to buy a diesel should have waited for 3+ years for the BS VI norms.

As you rightly said, it is all speculation right now and with the fact that additives can negate the ill effects of BS VI diesel on BS IV engines, I'm inclined towards not considering the fear of a ban right now.

Good Study

I believe Diesel Vehicles would maintain or improve on current ratio.

Common man (Non Enthusiast / Non Team Bhp) is not too aware of BS4/6 change over.

BS4 diesels will cope fine with BS6 fuel. Not a worry.

Diesel fuel savings are very substantial even now. Read as 20%.

Most importantly for many vehicles Diesels are much more fun to drive. (Not for all).

Nothing matches the Diesel torque for SUVs. (Somehow XUV 500 is different in this matter)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupta_chd (Post 4460150)
Come to Punjab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4460351)
Our garage...

I can understand. I cannot even imagine a 3.2 liter petrol Endeavour:)

In my opinion it is only the sedan market which shows the true nature of petrol and diesel split.

Why, you ask?

For workhorses in the taxi market, diesels are more economical and make more sense.

In the entry hatchback, diesels are an overkill thus manufacturers do not offer them.

Diesels are more suited for SUVs and thus manufacturers offer less petrol options.

Now. Look at all those vehicles (non-cab) which offer equal number of variants of petrol and diesel. You will be surprised to see petrols and diesels are very close to each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaghuVis (Post 4459741)
Very surprised to see that Xcent sells more in petrol. Always assumed Xcent is lapped up almost fully by Taxi segment for those who cannot afford Etios.

I am pretty sure that out of those 39% Xcent diesels, around 30-35% would by catering to taxi segment. The 3-cyl diesel is pretty weak for Xcent which makes even the lethargic Petrol as pretty good in comparison, so no wonder the private buyers prefer Petrol over the diesel in case of Xcent.

Diesel is dead. While it might take decades to replace all the diesel cars on road now, for all intents and purposes, it is dead. Most car manufacturers will not want to touch diesel with a barge pole anymore, especially after the diesel-gate scandal. Which is ironic, considering it was the European car manufacturers and the European governments who extolled diesel as the fossil fuel for the future. They have done a volte-face now, and cities are banning diesel cars left and right. By 2020, I expect even Euro 6 diesel cars to be not exempt in cities.

This has resulted in investment drying up in diesel engines. Most manufacturers have moved onto introducing a hybrid option for models along with the petrol, cutting out diesel altogether. The Americans and the Japanese never really bothered with diesel, and China is moving so fast towards electrification that they are going to sell a million of those this year.

As a result, I think we are all driving around the last iterations of diesel engines, bare a few exceptions. Fiat has said they will not make a new version of our national engine and Toyota is going to stop selling diesel cars in Europe this year.

The CAFE norms expected to come online in 2022 in India is going to further tighten the belt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4459605)

- Jeep :Shockked:. The petrol pales in front of the outstanding diesel. It's all down to the Petrol AT; once the Diesel AT comes, things might change.

Probably because that engine is terrible for milage. My uncle who bought a Jeep on my recommendation is now suffering from 5km/l mileage on his car. I can't fathom such a small engine giving such terrible FE on normal city driving.

Most of the discussion here on buying BS4 engine now was w.r.t diesel engine . Is there any issue that can come in the future if one buys a petrol BS4 engine? Say a 1.8 TSI

Maruti Suzuki's sales are 70 -30 % favoring petrol variants. (FY19)

Will continue offering diesel's post 2020, but likely to axed in hatchbacks .

Link

FY19 Petrol vs diesel figures for the hottest segment in India - Compact SUV from AutoPunditz

Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Jan - June 2018)-screenshot_20190625160042__01.jpg

SUV segment is predominantly driven by the diesel until now. It would be interesting to see these figures post BSVI implementation. I believe there wouldn't be a drastic change in this trend unless there is a shocking increase in the prices for BSVI diesel variants.

FY19 - Diesel Vs. Petrol- sales pattern for C1 Sedans.

- Customer shifts to petrol with 69% in favour of petrols.

- Maruti's Ciaz and Honda's City contribute 76% and 84% favouring the petrol variant.

- Hyundai's Verna, Skoda Rapid and VW Vento shows a diesel dominant preference with Hyundai leading the race.

Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Jan - June 2018)-1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4610275)
- Maruti's Ciaz and Hyundai's City contribute 76% and 84% favouring the petrol variant.

I wouldn't mind buying City from Hyundai lol: