Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 20:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
A larger engined car, the 1938-1948 Morris Ten commenced manufacture in India under the name Hindustan 10.

The first car manufactured(assembled) in India was the Hindustan Ten -- a badge-engineered Morris Ten.

Hey, I have seen a similar vehicle at the Nandi Toyota Used Car Division on Hosur Road in Bangalore back in 2005.. They had revived the vehicle and kept it inside the show-room as an antique collection...

It should be still there.. And mind you the car looked gorgeous..
Old 7th January 2007, 23:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Had seen members outcry at Maruti for continuing Esteem, but why getting carried when HM still doing with the same old Ambassador?
An analogous situation is found in families as well: grandad acting like grandad is respectable, grandson expecting same stature is not.
Old 8th January 2007, 01:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If they really want to make it a special edition, they should make the special ed look exactly the same as it did at launch in the fifties....with identical colour choices, fittings, wheels, interior trim etc. (am sure they have the capability).
Just what i was thinking about....

Cheers Ed...
Old 8th January 2007, 13:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

The amby was a legend in its time. My father first bought a 1959 amby for 25k in 1987 (the I owner had paid a huge sum of 5.5k in 1959) & sold it in 1996 for 35k. can you believe that ? he actually made a profit of almost 50% on an used car. the value of that car was appreciating all the time then.

p.s Wonder when the standard motors rolled out their first car ?
Old 8th January 2007, 13:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The amby was a legend in its time. My father first bought a 1959 amby for 25k in 1987 (the I owner had paid a huge sum of 5.5k in 1959) & sold it in 1996 for 35k. can you believe that ? he actually made a profit of almost 50% on an used car. the value of that car was appreciating all the time then.
Well going by the same logic the first owner sold it for almost a 500% profit .

Same with our Amby. Dad bought a used '72 Mark II model sometime in the late '80s for 30K and sold it late '90's for 42K. But one can hardly call that a profit given the relative market value of the rupee between the 80's and late '90s.
Old 8th January 2007, 17:05   #21
BHPian

There was a silver one for many days near the car accessories shops/garages in Shivaji Park-City Light area in Mumbai. Didn't know that it's a Hindustan at that time. I think it was restored later and sold off......
Old 8th January 2007, 22:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Just what i was thinking about....

Cheers Ed...
Is this your car egangsta, a perfect example to restore
Old 9th January 2007, 08:06   #23
BHPian

Amby Scale Models!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post

1:43 Diecast HM Ambassador1

1:43 Morris Oxford

You can get this in shops in India.....

1:32 Plastic HM Ambassador

Guys, HM can defintely make some of these miniatures. In 1:18 scale would be great, since the Diecast ones are made by a German manufacturer. The plastic ones are Indian made by Centy Toys as well as Shinsei Toys of which the Centy Toys Ambys look much better.
Some comments please guys........
Old 9th January 2007, 09:12   #24
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Some comments on authenticity

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
1:43 Diecast HM Ambassador1

1:43 Morris Oxford

You can get non-standard aftermarket chrome wheel caps with a three-pointed star embossed.
When the wheel spins, each of the three light-facing surfaces of the star flash a reflection,
giving a cute Mercedes-Benz star like effect.
However these hubcaps were aftermarket and seen on very few Hindustan Ambassadors. They were certainly not stock.

The tall bumper overriders came on the original Hindustan Ambassador and were replaced on the Mark II with smaller curved ones. (The Mark IV came with black rubber overriders). The ones in both models are the tall ones that strictly belong only in the black car (Ambassador 1957-1962) below.

The brown Ambassador Model is a (1975-1979) Mark III wearing a (1979-1990) Mark IV grille.
The Mark III grille was so wide that the parking lights had to be farther apart center-to-center than the headlamps.

The solid bonnet ornament in the brown model is correct for an Ambassador Mark III. It is out of place on the black car below. The old original Ambassador had a bonnet ornament that was thinner, more art-deco and had a chrome "H" in a maroon circle.

The models are therefore somehow a hotch-potch of multiple Ambassador models.

Where is the correctness, one usually finds in model brands like Franklin Mint, Brooklin models, Solido and Box.

Does anybody remember when the opposing wipers were replaced with ones that park near-parallely on the left?

Wonder how authentic the rear of the black car is. It should have round conical turn signal and tail-lights, while the brown car should have flat ones.

The dashboard of the black car should have the bulging upper surface in the center of the car. Not above the steering position. On the other hand the instrument cowl on the brown Mark III is in the right place.

What's the name of the German manufacturer of these 1:43 die-casts?

Ram
Old 9th January 2007, 13:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Is this your car egangsta, a perfect example to restore
Nope its isnt my car,this car belongs to garage owner near my place,I got a 1956 landmaster which is yet to be restored....

Cheers Ed..
Old 9th January 2007, 20:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Does anybody remember when the opposing wipers were replaced with ones that park near-parallely on the left?
I think that happened going from mark II to mark 3.
Old 9th January 2007, 23:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think that happened going from mark II to mark 3.

Even some Mark 3's are centre parked. The changeover happenned in the Mark 3 zone. I have 2 relatives owning original maintained mark 3's (as Amby's are actually very close to a bong heart!) one 1973 or so model with centre parked and a 1977 or so one with the wiper left parked (However the owner of the later is no more so not really sure if he got it done separately, as I have changed over our Fiats from the RH parked thing to LH parked one as the RH parked one used to leave huge unwiped area at the right side obstructing vision of oncoming traffic in heavy rains)

One more thing the models lack. Both the Oxford (actually our Ambassador is more of a cowley than an oxford) and the Ambassador (till mark 4) had the front fender/wing strip which the mark 4 did not have. Both these models do not have this. Oxford also had side running strip (discontinous)..Gosh never knew I noticed so much about Amby's!!

Mark 3's did not have the metal bumper guards (over-riders) they had rubber ones. Likewise for even some late model mark ii's

Last edited by 1100D : 9th January 2007 at 23:11.
Old 10th January 2007, 01:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

It amazes me how this bulbous lump of tin has Indians mesmerized for so many decades.Trash it , is my humble opinion.
Old 10th January 2007, 09:38   #29
BHPian

Don't remember the name of the manufacturer. I found them on modelcar world.com .
Old 17th January 2007, 16:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

heres an original hindustan 10 on display recently at punes auto expo...

it was a badge engineered morris "ten-four" series M...

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th January 2007 at 16:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks