Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 11:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too

Thanks to Sathish Kumar K for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Maruti is running a service campaign for the Baleno (petrol and diesel), Vitara Brezza and S-Cross over a possible steering problem.

According to an email to its service centres, Maruti has stated that if any customer reports sticky movement of the steering along with an abnormal noise, the steering column assembly should be replaced free of cost. An additional extended warranty of 3 years will be provided on the replaced steering column assembly for a total of 2+3 = 5 years.

For vehicles that don't have a valid warranty, this replacement will be carried out by the company under goodwill.

Mr. Sathish Kumar has also shared a video that depicts the clicking noise from the steering wheel (at full lock) before being replaced:

Link to the Team-BHP news

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-1.jpeg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-2.jpeg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-3.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2018 at 20:47.
blackwasp is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 12:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too

How come they say that replacing such a critical part in an out of warranty car as a goodwill gesture? If they have used a faulty part in their cars, question of having warranty or not should not arise. Death does not discriminate between such cars.

Last edited by deehunk : 20th September 2018 at 12:37.
deehunk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 12:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too

There was a rumour back in June 2017, Maruti is replacing steering assembly in the 2017 Dzire. That rumour was covered in our News Section also

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour...bly-2017-dzire

Does this mean Maruti identified the same problem with Baleno, Brezza and S-Cross?

Last edited by SJM1214 : 20th September 2018 at 12:19. Reason: Minor Change.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 12:30   #4
BHPian

I had reported this issue to Bimal Mahadevpura couple of weeks back.

I had reported this issue on the S-Cross official review thread also.

My steering has become stiff on both sides of the center and gives jerky movement. Observed a month ago while coming back from Kerala to Bangalore. Followed up with the RM today. Most probably the steering column needs replacement. He will place the order and let me know in couple of days.
Sree73 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 12:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Maruti has silently recalled the Baleno (petrol and diesel), Vitara Brezza and S-Cross over a possible steering problem.
Thank you for the update.
Are there any details available on which batch of vehicles (Month of manufacture or VIN Number) will this be applicable?
Will this be done for all the vehicles or for only those who complain about the steering issue?
Old 20th September 2018, 12:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Being a S-Cross owner myself, I am concerned about this silent recall. While I haven't faced any issues with the steering, I think I will need to check it out later today as my car has been booked for service next week and if there is an issue with the steering I can take it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Thank you for the update.
Are there any details available on which batch of vehicles (Month of manufacture or VIN Number) will this be applicable?
Will this be done for all the vehicles or for only those who complain about the steering issue?
Being a "silent" recall, it will be done only if a customer complains about the issue. It is only if there is an official recall that a batch of VIN numbers will be publicly published and owners can check if the fix is applicable.
Old 20th September 2018, 12:51   #7
BHPian

@kiloalpha, if you look at the first picture shared it does provide the from chassis number but it is not displayed completely,If we get this info it would be helpful for all.

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-reply.jpg
zaveed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 13:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
How come they say that replacing such a critical part in an out of warranty car as a goodwill gesture? If they have used a faulty part in their cars, question of having warranty or not should not arise. Death does not discriminate between such cars.
If I recall, their systems probably don't allow a warranty claim, which is why they have instructed the dealer to log it under a goodwill claim. Either ways it will be replaced FOC. It's not that Maruti is replacing it as a "goodwill gesture". It is warranty replacement for OOW cars but under the route of goodwill claim for the systems to accept it.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 13:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

In last 2 and half years of ownership, I've not come across this issue or maybe, I've not been keen enough to note this. Let's see if any link is provided by the company to check for affected vehicles. The car in question here is a Brezza. We've just added a new S-Cross last week, I hope this problem is not affecting the new ones.

After watching the video, this sound seems to be coming from the rotary switch inside steering wheel but since it's been diagnosed as a faulty steering column, it might be that. I'll be checking it today evening.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th September 2018 at 13:05.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

My friend reported of this problem during service a couple of months ago, it was really bad when I drove it, sticky is the correct way of describing that feeling. He got his steering column replaced under warranty then.

I know that currently my car does not show that stickiness, but if we can get the start and the end VIN numbers, it would be great.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I did not find the information related to which batch of SCross are affected by this faulty part. Can someone please help?

Although, I have not faced steering related issue yet, there is no harm in checking once.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2018 at 12:15. Reason: typo
Old 20th September 2018, 14:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Being a S-Cross owner myself, I am concerned about this silent recall. While I haven't faced any issues with the steering, I think I will need to check it out later today as my car has been booked for service next week and if there is an issue with the steering I can take it up.
You need not worry. S Cross 1.6 is not affected as per the circular. The model code mentioned there is for S-Cross 1.3. May be the S-Cross 1.6 production was already stopped.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 14:15   #13
BHPian

It may be happening for some time. I went for 2nd servicing of scross 1 month back. The first thing that service advisor did was to turn steering both ways. I found that strange but did not ask him. Now I am getting it.
Old 20th September 2018, 14:17   #14
BHPian

The recall doesn't include Ciaz.

It appears that some Ciaz also have the issue (2015-2018), consumer complaints
Quote:
post releasing the steering it doesn't return to its original position (straight) it simple stick in its turned position. In other words, if you rotate the steering completely and accelerate the car will move in circles endlessly

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 20th September 2018 at 14:29.
Old 20th September 2018, 18:51   #15
BHPian

Re: Maruti silently recalls Baleno, S-Cross and Vitara Brezza

I got my Baleno's steering column replaced earlier this week, after the replacement the issue reported is resolved but I noticed that the return to center assistance is not at all there!! Earlier it used to come back little over halfway.

In my case I had reported this issue twice to the Maruti service center last year but they did some checks and mentioned that they could not find any issues with the steering. So this time I went to the new Nexa service center which opened recently for service and mentioned this issue. These guys checked and informed that steering column needs to be replaced and that they have gone ahead and placed an order for the parts.

BTW does anyone know how to verify/confirm the additional 3 year warranty on the new steering column assembly (is there a place I can check this?), also this replacement was done under extended warranty that I had purchased earlier.
Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-steering-column-replacement-bill.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks