Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 18:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh

Skoda has launched the Rapid Onyx at prices starting from Rs. 9.75 lakh (ex-showroom). The car comes with cosmetic updates and is offered with a choice of petrol or diesel engines with manual or automatic transmissions.

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-skoda-rapid-onyx-2.jpg

The Rapid Onyx is available in 2 colour options - Lapiz Blue and Candy White. It comes with a gloss black front grille with a chrome surround, flanked by projector headlamps with integrated LED DRLs. It gets black ORVMs, blacked-out B-pillars and black boot lid garnish. The car rides on 16-inch Clubber alloy wheels finished in black.

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-skoda-rapid-onyx-info-graph.png

On the inside, the Rapid Onyx comes with a 3-spoke. flat-bottom, multi-function steering wheel with black stitching and a 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with MirrorLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity. It gets scuff plates with Rapid inscription, a black waste bin, rear windshield sunblind and 12V power sockets in the front and rear console.

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-skoda-rapid-onyx-1.jpg

Other features include anti-theft alarm, rear parking sensors, height adjustable front seats, central locking with remote control, foldable armrests among others.

Powering the Rapid Onyx is a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 109 BHP and 250 Nm of torque. The car is also available with a 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that puts out 104 BHP and 153 Nm of torque. Both engines are mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The diesel engine gets an optional 7-speed DSG, while the petrol version gets an optional 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Standard safety features offered include ABS and dual front airbags. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is available in the diesel AT variant and Hill Hold Control is available in the petrol AT and diesel AT variants.

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Petrol MT - Rs. 9,75,000

Petrol AT - Rs. 10,99,000

Diesel MT - Rs. 11,58,000

Diesel AT - Rs. 12,73,000
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 19:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh

Hello Everyone,

My first post as a member of this excellent community, a hello to fellow members.

I am in the market for the Rapid Petrol Manual and while there are many comparable options in the market for my needs (sub 12 lakhs OTR, 50:50 drive / driven, good dynamics, preferably top variant). I have so far liked the Rapid better than any other. For the past week, I've been contemplating between the Style MPI manual and the Edition - heart says Edition but mind says Style.

Just today the sales rep sent across few pictures of the Onyx which confused me further. It is certainly a looker although I feel all black upholstery would've looked better. What is confusing is that this is probably based on the Ambition variant rather than the Style (top-end) variant. My initial observations are because I don't see a mention of rear camera, the ex-showroom pricing is between the Ambition and Style variant and yet the Onyx gets alloys, leatherette upholstery, flat bottom steering, mirror link connectivity, LED DRLs and projector headlights. Can anyone confirm the same?

Secondly, I am concerned on the exterior maintenance of both the 'Edition' and the 'Onyx' - I do depend on the watchman-cleaner for a daily scrub down. Opinions would be welcome.

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2018 at 19:51. Reason: formatted for readability
Mlanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 21:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlanuk View Post
My initial observations are because I don't see a mention of rear camera, the ex-showroom pricing is between the Ambition and Style variant and yet the Onyx gets alloys, leatherette upholstery, flat bottom steering, mirror link connectivity, LED DRLs and projector headlights.
Check with your sales guy; Onyx might be getting the Rear View Camera of the Style variant as an optional addition. If that is the case, the only features you might be missing would be the cruise control, extra two airbags, rain sensing wipers and the black interiors of the Edition X. Onyx definitely has a lot going for it.
vshankarhere is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 05:53   #4
BHPian

Go for the Edition variant .
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 21:35   #5
BHPian

Are the Style variant and Edition also getting a rear sun blind now, since this is a feature of the Onyx edition which is priced a lac lower than the Style?

The prices of the Style variant went up by around INR 10K and of the Edition by around INR 4K around two weeks ago. So, we have to see if there were any feature additions.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 22nd September 2018 at 21:36.
Old 24th September 2018, 08:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Rapin ONYX reaches dealerships,

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-newskodarapidonyxfirstlookphotosdealer5.jpg

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-newskodarapidonyxfirstlookphotosdealer2.jpg

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-newskodarapidonyxfirstlookphotosdealer1.jpg

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-newskodarapidonyxfirstlookphotosdealer4.jpg

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-newskodarapidonyxfirstlookphotosdealer3.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th September 2018 at 08:32.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 17:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Check with your sales guy; Onyx might be getting the Rear View Camera of the Style variant as an optional addition. If that is the case, the only features you might be missing would be the cruise control, extra two airbags, rain sensing wipers and the black interiors of the Edition X. Onyx definitely has a lot going for it.
Thanks, ultimately ruled this variant out for the missing two airbags and the beige upholstery which doesn't go at all with the sporty look. The Style does come with non-black interiors, but somehow that goes much better with the overall scheme IMHO. Overall, I think a good attempt by Skoda to keep things fresh, it may generate some excitement.
Old 24th September 2018, 19:18   #8
BHPian

While the higher variant Style has just one 12V power socket at the front and none at back, this Onyx has an extra power socket at the back as well. It's time Style also gets it being top variant.
Old 25th September 2018, 17:37   #9
BHPian

What do you mean by white bulbs? Are they giving HIDs in projectors or LEDs?
Old 25th September 2018, 20:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
While the higher variant Style has just one 12V power socket at the front and none at back, this Onyx has an extra power socket at the back as well. It's time Style also gets it being top variant.
Logically, the Style variant should get flat bottom steering, rear sun blind and another power socket.

There is the big price difference between Onyx and Style, but I feel that on Onyx there may not be any offer for now. The Style will have offers.
Old 26th September 2018, 16:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
What do you mean by white bulbs? Are they giving HIDs in projectors or LEDs?
None of the Rapid variants come with LED projectors, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Logically, the Style variant should get flat bottom steering, rear sun blind and another power socket.

There is the big price difference between Onyx and Style, but I feel that on Onyx there may not be any offer for now. The Style will have offers.
Agree with your observations on the Style variant, I'd perhaps add LED projectors to the list.

Current festive discounts are to the tune of nearly 1.5L on the Style Petrol Automatic and around 1.2L on the Manual. The sales reps are not sure on the offers on the Onyx, but assuming the discounts on the Style are likely to put the on-road price below that for the Onyx, I'm sure there will be offers on the Onyx as well.

Last edited by manson : 28th September 2018 at 01:10.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Few more showroom pictures.

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-img20180927wa0004.jpg

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-img20180927wa0003.jpg

Skoda Rapid Onyx launched at Rs. 9.75 lakh-img20180927wa0005.jpg
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 23:40   #13

I think Verna still is a better bet as the same is available almost at the price of Rapid. One thing goes in unfavour of Rapid that she has now become old therefore, only facelift strategy might not work. Hence the next generation Rapid is need of the hour. Verna has Sunroof, cooled front seats, 6 airbags like compelling features.
Old 7th October 2018, 23:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
I visited Skoda Jai Auto, Mathura road, new Delhi today to take a round of Rapid ONYX edition. The Blue variant of onyx was not available, however, I could see a while onyx in showroom. The salesman informed that onyx had no cooled glove box, no rear view camera and only had two airbags against 4 as in style. There, I saw a Rapid Edition X standing, I got impressed by the elegant interiors which were completely black including front and rear seats. I can say the same interiors should have been a part of ONYX too apart from other important features missing. I so far am preferring Verna over Rapid since I might have to sacrifice my money and key features as well for Rapid onyx.
Old 10th October 2018, 14:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshsinha View Post
I think Verna still is a better bet as the same is available almost at the price of Rapid. One thing goes in unfavour of Rapid that she has now become old therefore, only facelift strategy might not work. Hence the next generation Rapid is need of the hour. Verna has Sunroof, cooled front seats, 6 airbags like compelling features.
Verna definitely offers features that comfortably better the competition but after taking a test drive, I felt that it doesn't give that 'special wali feeling', either as a driver or as a rear seat passenger. The plastics felt average, the driving feel (steering and suspension) left much to desire and overall I felt the cabin quite claustrophobic - personal opinions, these.

The Rapid is old in the tooth, albeit the Germans have rarely gone for a complete overhaul with their models and it is more a case of gradual evolution they've adopted. I quite prefer the understated and classy looks (both inside and outside), while I feel the Honda City is at the other end (edgy cool) and I like it too. Verna feels neither here, nor there.

It will completely depend on what sort of individual the person is to select either the Verna or the Rapid (not talking of Onyx but the standard variants).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks