Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 16:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW launches online sales in India

BMW has launched its online sales channel which will enable customers select and purchase a BMW vehicle online.

To access the online sales channel, customers are required to register on this website. Buyers can then select cars from the available stock and configure them according to their preference and later select their preferred dealership.

BMW launches online sales in India-01-image-bmw-online-sales-webpage.jpg

For additional information, price quotes and EMI options, customers will be able to chat with a sales executive online. Buyers can also review multiple financial solutions and submit test drive requests online.

To confirm the purchase, customers can pay the booking amount online. The remaining amount can be paid online or offline. Further, the complete process can be tracked in real-time.

BMW is offering an additional benefit of Rs. 1 lakh for those opting to book a BMW X5 online. The offer is available on a limited number of cars.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 09:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW launches online sales in India

I shudder whenever any car manufacturer launches an "online" initiative. Their efforts are usually very lame, and this one is no different. Just wish they'd leave the online stuff to tech companies, or at least hire someone who can do a good job.

I fail to see the point of this website. Not to mention, it's broken. Where are the colour options for this 3-Series? Tried on Chrome as well as Firefox:
BMW launches online sales in India-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 10:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

Oh, and AI has not reached the stage where negotiations can be done on line. You still need to meet the dealer principal face to face and make him smell the money. Unless they are selling at rock-bottom prices!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Don't see what value add this brings. True customization (trim, finish, add-on packages), on par with what you have in western countries, hasn't reached India yet. More so, the biggest part of the purchase decision is the price negotiation for which you have to talk to the SA face to face.

Enabling the simple act of paying online can't be called online sales.

Do these two things provide enough value? Perhaps cut down the BS the SA would dole out.

Quote:
Buyers can then select cars from the available stock
Quote:
the complete process can be tracked in real-time.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 13:40   #5
BHPian

While I agree with what everyone else has said about the implementation, I feel it's a step in the right direction. I just hope that we get to customize our cars in-and-out, similar to what you can do in other countries like the UK.

Question: What stops manufacturers from offering that level of customizability in India?
Old 15th November 2018, 14:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Question: What stops manufacturers from offering that level of customizability in India?
Given the scanty sales of most Germans / luxury vehicles, I believe that is what stops them from doing so, especially as most of them are CKD so to keep limited kit / inventory.

For CBU models however, it is a different story and customizations are available but a customized variant could take up to 4 months for delivery.

Even in other countries, dealers generally get vehicles with certain add ons in inventory which you can choose from, but if you want it customized 100% the way you want it - be prepared to wait for a longer time.

However, everything said and done - I would appreciate it if basic items like alloys etc. could be customized as per ones preferences as it would really add a lot of value to the brand. BMW typically offers a lot more upholstery and kit options than Mercedes & Audi, so it would do them well to be one of the pioneers of this - especially given they are an enthusiast's preferred choice.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is a build my car option on the main BMW website which seems to work much better than this online portal
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Given the scanty sales of most Germans / luxury vehicles, I believe that is what stops them from doing so, especially as most of them are CKD so to keep limited kit / inventory.
While their sales numbers are nothing to brag about, premium car manufacturers, specifically Mercedes and BMW, have been doing quite well in our market I'd say - at least based on the number of cars I see on the roads. And having different CKD kits for different specs makes sense, right? When a certain spec is ordered you assemble a car that matches that spec using the kits in inventory and send it to the respective dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
However, everything said and done - I would appreciate it if basic items like alloys etc. could be customized as per ones preferences as it would really add a lot of value to the brand. BMW typically offers a lot more upholstery and kit options than Mercedes & Audi, so it would do them well to be one of the pioneers of this - especially given they are an enthusiast's preferred choice.

Agreed! If BMW Corporate is hesitant, could something like this be done at the dealership level at least? I remember reading that alloys, tyres etc can be swapped for ones you prefer, but that seems more of a "we'll pay you x for what's on your car and you pay us y to install these different ones instead of a "choose from these options and we'll spec it per your liking".
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:22   #9
BHPian

I would say these are just another medium to keep the customer engage. Nevertheless most of the manufacturers have made half-baked attempt when it comes to online presence. Most of the times, product portfolio and websites descriptions are not in sync or the websites are not updated.

I think the average information that a buyer looks for in a website is more specific which can influence his choice, most of them have product specs and basic vehicle details. Something like USER REVIEWS could be more detailed for a prospect buyer or something like FAQ's, issues faced, DIY etc. could keep them more engaged.

With technologies available at hand, a disruption is online space is just waiting at some corner, which will change the User experience to interact directly with manufacturers and make the experience more collaborative and interactive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks