Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Ford's SUV based on the next-gen XUV500 is coming in 2020

The first product of the partnership between Mahindra and Ford would be out by 2020 as per this article. This is going to be a Made for India SUV based on the new gen XUV5OO. Some excerpts from the article below-

Ford's SUV based on the next-gen XUV500 is coming in 2020-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190214100249_ford_suv_aci.jpg

Quote:
Based on the new-gen Mahindra XUV500, the SUV will offer good value and Ford’s driving DNA.

Why it is likely to succeed is because it isn’t merely a badge-engineering exercise. Far from it, in fact. Unlike the all-new XUV500 or W601, which is currently being co-developed by Mahindra and SsangYong, Ford’s version will have an all-new exterior, a new interior and even a slightly different (and improved) chassis. “It will drive like a Ford,” insist insiders

On the outside, only the doors, windows and windscreen are expected to be common between the two carmakers’ SUVs. Ford’s C-SUV is likely to have a large cowl, a wide Ford grille, the design may feature slender, high-mounted headlamps, and get nicely fleshed-out wheel arches.

However, the Ford C-SUV will share engines with the next-gen XUV500. Mahindra is developing an all-new, state-of-the-art 2.0 litre diesel motor to power its future line-up of large SUVs. This new motor, which will be fully BS-VI compliant, will be introduced after April 1, 2020, when all cars sold in India will have to meet BS-VI regulations.

This engine will also come with a 6-speed gearbox sourced from Mahindra. An automatic transmission will be part of the range as well, while traction control, ESP and hill descent control are also expected to be present in the tech suite.
The complete article is available here

Last edited by centaur : 14th February 2019 at 15:46.
centaur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford's SUV based on the next-gen XUV500 is coming in 2020

I like the current XUV500, so am pretty sure the new XUV500 will be pretty damn competent too. Ford fine-tuning it might improve it further.

That said, I think it's pretty dumb of Ford to have such a collaboration with Mahindra when their global portfolio has such awesome cars already. It might even end up costing them more??? Because right now, most of their cars are pretty much a cut-copy-paste with a little local engineering involved (e.g. EcoSport, Endeavour).

To me, it shows a lack of commitment from Ford India. Do they - in the future - want to become a minority stakeholder in a JV with Mahindra? I'm smelling the same thing I did when we heard about Toyota-badged Marutis (IMHO, that's just the first step toward Toyota buying stake in Maruti-Suzuki).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford fine-tuning it might improve it further.

That said, I think it's pretty dumb of Ford to have such a collaboration with Mahindra when their global portfolio has such awesome cars already. It might even end up costing them more???

To me, it shows a lack of commitment from Ford India.
Yes, hopefully Ford will bring much needed finesse to the Mahindra platform. The problem of minor niggles should not be as much in the Ford.

+1 to the dumbness of Ford to enter a JV with Mahindra -
a) Ford has much more competent cars in its portfolio.
b) Ford is certainly more technically advanced with its superior R&D (global) and long history selling cars across varied markets.
c) Ford has more to lose than to gain from a JV with M&M!
d) M&M is not easy to manage in a JV. Look at its history. Latest being Renault, burning its hands in the JV. M&M has a Renault sedan in its kitty now!

I don't think Ford India has a say in this. Generally, MNC corporations provide very little decision making freedom to its local Indian management. Don't see anything different at Ford India. For example, would Maruti Suzuki India bosses have decided on tie up with Toyota? Nope! Japanese management would have directed them to. Same with Toyota. The Indian management is just sitting ducks, where even pricing of Toyota products in India has to be approved by Asia Pacific heads (sitting in Thailand).
OrangeCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, I think it's pretty dumb of Ford to have such a collaboration with Mahindra when their global portfolio has such awesome cars already. It might even end up costing them more???

So true! In fact, sometimes I wonder, why is it that except Maruti, none of the manufacturers in India today have their entire/majority of global portfolio available for sale in India? Many of them have free capacity with big underutilized plants to produce more cars. So what gives? Investment $$$? Local laws? Red Tape?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

There was a time when alliances brought in great synergies and enhanced products (for e.g.; Ford and Mazda in the past). I hope these collaborations have something positive for the customers rather than just re-badged products. USPs of manufacturers are getting really blur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
In fact, sometimes I wonder, why is it that except Maruti, none of the manufacturers in India today have their entire/majority of global portfolio available for sale in India?
Not really! Suzuki is as good/bad as other manufacturers when it comes to global portfolio on sale in India; they don’t have a huge model spread globally, but some of the better efforts like Vitara, Jimny, Swift Sport are not available in India.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really! Suzuki is as good/bad as other manufacturers when it comes to global portfolio on sale in India; they don’t have a huge model spread globally, but some of the better efforts like Vitara, Jimny, Swift Sport are not available in India.

That's why I used the term majority.
They play to their strengths and often don't bother with products which may not see huge sales. Jimny is one of the exceptions I fell. Heck, they kept the Gypsy alive all this while as long as the orders from Govt. were coming in.

Not the case with other players - who do have competent hatches/SUVs but hesitate to bring them here.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 22:40   #7
BHPian

The news suggests that it's going to be a JV and Ford may exit India partially: LINK

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th April 2019 at 11:11. Reason: Small typo (exist > exit)
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 23:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
The news suggests that it's going to be a JV and Ford may exist India partially https://www.ndtv.com/business/ford-l...20537?&tb_cb=1

I read this article in CNB and looks like Ford is taking a major decision in India. They have been here in India for nearly 20 years now and have just around 3% market share. And unlike say VW, they do not have multiple brands to play with and neither have they committed to any new investments or models in the coming years. So it looks like a proper JV between ford and Mahindra, most likely benefiting Mahindra more than ford.

Like Fiat, Ford too has its own share of followers for the kind of cars they make, notable the first gen fiesta and the current Ecosport. And I always thought that ford offered the perfect middle ground between the Europe and Asian manufacturers, at least until sometime ago. Now that kind of positioning is probably with Hyundai.

Also, just to add, when Chevrolet quit the market, there was speculation that Ford could follow suit. At that point, autocar India ran an article about the kind of plans ford has for India for the next 3-5 years. Somehow when I read that article it just did not give me the confidence that ford was here for the long haul. The plan for new models were very vague and too distant in the future. And this was about 1-2 years ago. Post that, they have only managed facelifts of the Aspire & the Figo now. Ford would like to believe they launched a new car with the Freestyle, but the market does not think so. Superb marketing effort from ford to make it look like an all new car, but there is only so much you can do. I would not be surprised if 2-3 years later if people do not even remember the name Freestyle.

End of the day, i feel sad that such big auto manufacturers keep moving out of india one after the other. I would think Nissan would be in line next. Currently their situation is far worse than ford. And with another group company, Renault already here, sooner or later some questions will be asked in some board meetings.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
How does this affect the current Ford car owners?
I have recently booked an Aspire and have completed almost all the buying process. I will be taking the delivery within a week's time. Post reading the article, I'm a little apprehensive now

They are providing 5 years warranty on the Aspire. What happens to the present customers of Ford India?
First of all, congratulations on booking the Aspire, it's a great car! Ford brand name will continue according to my understanding. This JV is more about business operations. They're bound to provide you service and warranty of the product sold.

Don't worry much and start planning to enjoy your new ride (read road-trips)

Wish you a wonderful ownership experience!

--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 12:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
First of all, congratulations on booking the Aspire, it's a great car! Ford brand name will continue according to my understanding. This JV is more about business operations. They're bound to provide you service and warranty of the product sold.

Don't worry much and start planning to enjoy your new ride (read road-trips)

Wish you a wonderful ownership experience!

--surjaonwheelz
Thanks for your kind words. It's soothing to a new Ford buyer after this JV news has come . I know it's a great product.
Let's hope they provide complete after sales support as regards to spare parts and quality service to ensure peace of mind for the Ford owners.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Fact is that the resale will be hampered significantly over the years. It will not be as drastic the overnight drop in Chevrolet resale values, but potential buyers should be prepared for the second-hand car market depreciating them more as compared to existing car manufacturers.

Just think about it: In 2026, would YOU easily buy a Ford Aspire or Freestyle run say 50,000 km? The typical second-hand small car buyer is usually quite fussy about continuing spares (especially body panels and glass items), and will definitely factor this into their thinking. Please note that I am not factoring in the inevitable move towards EVs or hybrids here either.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks