Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2022, 14:16   #31
BHPian

Re: India's 1st Maruti 800, now fully restored (page 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Could someone fill me in a little on this particular model of the 800, mainly regarding power output and overall build of this Vs. the later model of the 800. It had a more powerful Japanese engine I recall being told, but not by how much or any other details of the engine in specifics?

My family had one when I was very young, I remember my father telling me they sold it for more than they paid for it.
Maruti 800 Modified: India's first Maruti 800 restored to full glory! Finds home at Maruti Suzuki HQ https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/93792045.cms

Here you go
Old 26th August 2022, 14:44   #32
BHPian

Maruti, please bring back that 75 year old design as special edition. That timeless design still manages to steal hearts !
Old 26th August 2022, 14:54   #33

I remember driving my dad's Maruti 800. We owned 3 Maruti 800's until 2011 every car was fun to drive. Almost everyone in our family learnt driving on our Maruti 800. Those cars were so easy to repair and low on maintenance. I wish Maruti does a special edition or a rerun of the Maruti 800 with modern features.

Back then, Maruti Suzuki really helped several of Indian households get their first family car.
BlackLight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 15:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Sheet Metal looks thicker than current "tin boxes"
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 15:36   #35
BHPian

This car still looks so good. It had a tailgate where only glass would lift. So many years before the brio. Small footprint and pretty agile. With todays safety equipment, it would have been way safer then tin cans.
Old 26th August 2022, 15:44   #36
BHPian

Absolutely love the design. A few years after the second avatar, while I was growing up, these old models did look dated, but as time progressed, I started to find a liking to these cars even more. I wonder why Maruti doesn't want to bring this back in a new avatar, with the old looks. It for me is simply stunning.

Look at the simplicity and functional nature of it those days.
Such huge glass area, with terrific all round visibility.
Perfectly functional bumpers, that might cost nothing to be replaced.
Smallish and narrow tyres, just enough for the purpose and more
Such low window sill where you would love to place your elbow on
No Nonsense seats which hold you just about right, and never a bad place to be seated. (I find cars of this era with such bucketing that get in your way while changing gears)
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 16:50   #37

This one vehicle single handedly rolled India into the modern automotive age. Good to see the flagbearer vehicle getting due care it needed.

It is indeed a part of our Automotive history. Kudos to Maruti for taking this step.
KL42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 19:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The first few times I drove my fathers then brand new Maruti 800 in c12/1985 or 01/1986 I realized with my heart in my throat, that your touch on the accelerator and brake needed to be g-e-n-t-l-e and not old car style.
This incident reminds me of an incident where one of my elder cousins who learnt driving in an ambassador took my maternal uncle's Maruti 800 and rammed it to a wall as he couldn't fathom its acceleration compared to his father's Amby.
HooghlyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 19:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooghlyBoy View Post
This incident reminds me of an incident where one of my elder cousins who learnt driving in an ambassador took my maternal uncle's Maruti 800 and rammed it to a wall as he couldn't fathom its acceleration compared to his father's Amby.
One person I know was one of the first people to get delivery, and he drove it straight into the wall In The Showroom delivery bay!
Everyone started clapping
SanSabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 19:58   #40
BHPian

I would love to buy another M800 (if they can revive it on a safer platform/ chassis), just for the retro charm associated with it.
Old 26th August 2022, 20:42   #41
BHPian

If I remember correctly, 800s that old were either entirely Jap make or had a lot of Jap parts in it? So I hope they were able to source the original Jap quality parts for the restoration. Ofcourse, who am I kidding? The best party to do this job would be the company that actually made it in the first place, so I'm sure they were able to easily source original Jap parts.

If it was Mr.Shashank Srivastava who noticed this legendary car in it's sad state and initiated this endeavour, then he is a hero in my eyes. A big thanks to him. The little star has now found its rightful place, in the headquarters of the company that made it. And rightfully so, because without the 800, there would be no Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I would love to buy another M800 (if they can revive it on a safer platform/ chassis), just for the retro charm associated with it.
I hope that you are able to do so, ajay. As for myself, I wouldn't mind one either. Actually, I have a very specific model in mind - I hope I can find the Maruti which my family owned when I was a kid. Last time I checked the regn plates, it was still alive. I made a promise to myself that I will buy the car back and restore it whatever the cost may be, when I am able to stand on my own legs. That time is coming.

Last edited by SaiSW : 26th August 2022 at 20:48.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 20:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just curious. That looks like a Delhi registration. Given the NGT ruling, is that registration valid?

Hopefully it has not fallen victim to the judiciary.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 01:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Just curious. That looks like a Delhi registration. Given the NGT ruling, is that registration valid?
Since it's at the Maruti Suzuki HQ, I assume it's not being driven anymore on public roads. That's legal, isn't it?
Old 27th August 2022, 02:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Since it's at the Maruti Suzuki HQ, I assume it's not being driven anymore on public roads. That's legal, isn't it?
Yes, but that's not the question I wanted to know. I was trying to figure out if that's a real legit registration, or a dummy board put up for nostalgia on a car that's probably never going to be on the road ever again
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 20:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Another detailed walk-around video:

Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks