Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2019, 10:30   #31
BHPian

Re: February 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks Aditya!

Customers are picking up more Tiagos than Santro. Wagon R appeared in a new avatar and continuing its dominance even after 20 years of its existence.

Maruti OMNIs with its utility value only, are still appreciated and numbers are more than cumulative sales of many other manufacturers!

Elite i20s and Cretas are front runners in Hyundai stable. Given any day, both of those are nice cars and, in my opinion, superior in many areas over competition. Particularly, Elite i20 oozes quality in that specific segment.

Honda Amaze is consistent, and is that Dzire degrowing?

Alturas are gaining ground, but Fortuner is unperturbed! XUV 300 starting momentum is good. CSUV segment is expanding. Mahindra veteran aka Bolero and Scorpios are going strong.

There are good products in Ford basket, I think they need more marketing effort.

Overall the industry is showing sign of de-growth.
Old 8th March 2019, 11:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for taking 9% of the market. The Marazzo and the XUV300 are bringing in new numbers collectively selling over 7,000 nos and the old steed, Bolero selling 8,000. That's almost 3% above the 4th position that Tata holds.

The Harrier production doesn't seem to have reached full potential with Tata probably having taken note of whatever niggles were posted and rectifying them before sending them over to showrooms. I believe the numbers will increase over the next couple of months. The Nexon is going strong and has exceeded Tata's initial expectations of 3500 per month. The 5-star rating definitely helping its cause. The Tiago is moving posts further up.

Maruti seems to have lost only 1% of the market, while Mahindra and Hyundai have gained. Tata seems to be holding its ground. So the increase can be attributed to the rest of the companies losing ground. The bottom 5 companies haven't managed to sell 2000 cars each and the next up, Volkswagen, barely managing 2600 units.

I think the top 5-6 manufacturers will consolidate their positions further through the year with a clear demarcation between #1, #2-4, #5-7 by the end of the year. Nissan, and Datsun have the writing on the wall. The sisters Volkswagen and Skoda need to hold on till their new models arrive by 2-3 years. Will they? Renault seems to have run out of ideas to fool the Indian public. They better act fast to restore the damage caused.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 11:21   #33
BHPian

Thank you for the thread. Gives a lot of insights!

Comparing this month's sales to say the same may be a year back gives some interesting perspectives.
-Though Maruti holds on to half the market share, Hyundai even with its strong sales has shown a slight dip. There was a time when Maruti had 50%, Hyundai around 18% and then the third company with around 5%. Suddenly Hyundai now has 16% and Mahindra has gone up to 9%.
- Great to see two Indian manufacturers Mahindra and Tata taking the 3rd and 4th places in market share in a market completely dominated by two companies.
- I would like to make a special mention about Tata. When Tata started the HorizonNext concept, it truly transformed itself with much better and safer, strongly built cars. However it didn't quite transform into sales, with able products like Zest and Bolt showing weak figures, just because Tata had tarnished their image with their older cars. However, things seem to be changing for good and they are slowly but steadily building the confidence in their buyers. Tiago and Nexon are showing strong sales and Harrier has also started off quite well. With a packed product line coming up with products like Alturoz (IC and EV), H2X Hornbill, H7X Buzzard, etc. as showcased in the Geneva Motor Show, things should only get better. If so, TM would be a perfect example of how to transform an organization and get over all the negativity surrounding it.
Old 9th March 2019, 19:03   #34
BHPian

Safari/Storme at 443 and Hexa at 280. Can we call this overrated van a sales dud now. It stands no where near its competition be it XUV or Innova. Tata unnecessarily portrayed it as SUV, it is a tweaked Aria with some decent interiors. I am happy this product failed and Tata should at least now consider to revamp the Safari with AT and interiors like Hexa.
Old 9th March 2019, 20:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Safari/Storme at 443 and Hexa at 280. Can we call this overrated van a sales dud now. It stands no where near its competition be it XUV or Innova.
I hate to say this but this is just a anti post full of ignorance. Cars which sell much more than they deserve are overrated and Hexa has been underselling for quite a while so the 'overrated van' statement is itself wrong. It has much better interiors than XUV and on par or better than Innova especially the seats, has exceptional ride quality and is still priced way less than her japenese counterpart. Everyone knows Innova is selling because of Toyota brand name, the product in itself is just ok definitely not worth the price and the less said the better for XUV.

Quote:
Tata unnecessarily portrayed it as SUV, it is a tweaked Aria with some decent interiors. I am happy this product failed and Tata should at least now consider to revamp the Safari.
If a 'Van' can do SUV stuff then what's wrong in the manufacturer promoting it that way atleast they are trying something different in the market which is full of the usual stuff. Safari is a 2 decade old platform and wont be revamped.
trinity0114 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 21:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
I hate to say this but this is just a anti post full of ignorance.

Yes it is an anti post for Hexa. Reason Tata's half heart-ed effort to revamp a sales dud and finally achieving nothing out of it. You very well said about Toyota's reliability so lets take Innova out of this competition. What about XUV it is neither reliable nor big brand like Toyota. We have a long thread for XUV niggles and issues.

The design element is the key here being an Indian brand Tata should understand what Indian people like after all everyone in market is for sales and profit not the exclusivity factor. Tata's recent product like Nexon and Harrier are commendable but my only point is they have wasted the efforts on Hexa. This is coming from a proud owner of Tata (read: safari). I have mentioned this earlier if Tata would have provided an automatic transmission in Safari/Storme there was no reason I would have gone for Ford Endeavour.
Old 9th March 2019, 22:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am more worried about the fact that sales have been flat for months on end now. Two-wheeler, trucks and tractors sales have also declined.

New models seem to the only way to spur growth.
Old 9th March 2019, 22:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
....It has much better interiors than XUV and on par or better than Innova especially the seats, has exceptional ride quality and is still priced way less than her japenese counterpart. Everyone knows Innova is selling because of Toyota brand name, the product in itself is just ok definitely not worth the price and the less said the better for XUV....
Quote:
What about XUV it is neither reliable nor big brand like Toyota. We have a long thread for XUV niggles and issues......
While you are comparing the sales of Hexa with those of XUV50, mainly because TATA was targeting Hexa against it, and the Crysta - I believe the Crysta is a wrong comparison. Simply because a typical Crysta buyer is unlikely to look at Hexa as an option (I say the typical and hence exclude the marginal buyers who will compare the two and buy one of those).

The better comparison for Hexa in today's time should be Marazzo. Similar price bracket, similar seating arrangements and similar purpose. In fact when Hexa was launched, I thought it perfectly occupies the space left out by the older Innova and TATA should have highlighted that. But past is past and they should ideally just target the same.

I have seen Marazzon on Yellow plates already but yet to see any HEXA on the same. TATA should not hesitate in selling the HEXA to the taxi operators.

Last edited by sunilch : 9th March 2019 at 22:15.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 22:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

February 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
I hate to say this but this is just a anti post full of ignorance.

Sorry, but that is the state.At Team BHP we are no fan boys. We call a spade a spade.

I cannot find a previous post of mine, where I suggested that TATA needs to rebrand itself to be premium for segments above the 15 lakh OTR range.

The problem for TATA now is not in its products but in its Brand,ASS and the sales team that is a complete dud.

Competent products from even the Maruti stable have failed. If Maruti can create a NEXA, why not TATA. Don't forget that Indian market took down the mighty Honda for not offering a diesel.

Tata seriously needs to go further. They do need a renamed premium badge and not just the showrooms. Maybe be an XYZ by TATA.

They seem to be doing fine until the Nexon range, they will struggle with anything priced higher. I went for a Harrier test drive recently and the sales guy was totally clueless of any question asked, the whole experience is not up there. (He didn't even know what an ABS was).

I will put my money down on the JTP or even the the Nexon.

The Harrier will go down the Hexa route in a few months from now, not because of the product, but by the way it is handled.Don't have to write much here as the H5X thread is a paradox of good and bad quality of the product . Hope I am proved wrong.

Thanks Aditya for the report. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 9th March 2019 at 22:39.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 22:38   #40
BHPian

I wonder, for the first time in how many months has someone apart from Maruti or Hyundai made it to top 10. Tata having made it seems to be the first time since ages! Well done.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 23:06   #41
BHPian

Agree with the Tata analysis by others. FIAT and TATA are very slow learners.
I remember Ford trying their first few years to get a market. They brought the IKON with 1.8 /1.6 diesel variants and tried many combo. Nothing worked against Maruti Esteem/1000. They realized the fact about Indian consumers soon and redesigned IKON to flair model, by removing inbuilt audio, remote boot locking, seat and steering adjustments etc. Then priced it neck to neck with Esteem. Voila, Indian market welcomed Flair.

Same way Honda's diesel story is also part of a constant feedback/pulse of market mechanism. Somehow TATA and FIAT's feedback system works so slow. Otherwise, with many promising models, this is a golden era for TATA.
Old 9th March 2019, 23:23   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If a 'Van' can do SUV stuff then what's wrong in the manufacturer promoting it that way
In the present scheme of things - a VFM van against Innova could have co-existed with their modern portfolio - but with the confused positioning, I have a strong feeling H7X will be the last of the Hexa.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 23:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is an anti post for Hexa. Reason Tata's half heart-ed effort to revamp a sales dud and finally achieving nothing out of it.

Tata's recent product like Nexon and Harrier are commendable but my only point is they have wasted the efforts on Hexa. This is coming from a proud owner of Tata (read: safari). I have mentioned this earlier if Tata would have provided an automatic transmission in Safari/Storme there was no reason I would have gone for Ford Endeavour.
Just because Tata did not launch a Safari with an AT doesn't make Hexa a bad product, does it? Aria was launched at an premium when the competition was cheaper and hence it failed. Hexa was and still is, a value for money product. Had Hexa been launched by Maruti, it would have been an instant hit.

The fact Hexa did not succeed is primarily because of the brand. I still know a lot of people who just don't consider Tata products because of their perceptions. Although Tata is definitely making a lot of efforts with their latest products, everybody knows their A.S.S. is a hit or a miss. Further, I believe the marketing done by Tata to promote Hexa was never upto the mark.

Safari on the other hand, has a huge fan following and like somebody mentioned in the forum, it has more of a cult following than the whole Tata brand. That said, Hexa is also a good product. I don't own a Hexa or any of the Tata cars, but what Tata has done with Hexa and every product henceforth is brilliant. I just wish they improve their sales and A.S.S and wish them success.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 00:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Can we call this overrated van a sales dud now.
Quite the opposite mate - it is an underrated car and hence ended up with such unjust numbers. It is a VFM car with brilliant ride quality with amazing automatic transmission - this is covered by review in this forum and outside. If there are other vans in the market which could never do off-roading even in dreams, we should call them overrated for being priced at 6-7L premium and not poor Hexa.
vinodvayyat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 00:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Can we call this overrated van a sales dud now. It stands no where near its competition be it XUV or Innova. Tata unnecessarily portrayed it as SUV, it is a tweaked Aria with some decent interiors. I am happy this product failed and Tata should at least now consider to revamp the Safari with AT and interiors like Hexa.
What an incredibly biased and prejudiced post. Sales numbers aside there is no taking away from the fact that Hexa is a great car.
JediKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks