Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 17:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 620d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 63.90 lakh

The BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo is now available with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine. The 620d Gran Turismo is priced at Rs. 63.90 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

BMW 620d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 63.90 lakh-01-image-1.jpg

The second generation 6 Series Gran Turismo was launched at the 2018 Auto Expo. The 620d Gran Turismo comes with adaptive LED headlights and cornering lights. It has a coupe-like side profile and an active rear spoiler. It is available in Luxury Line trim, which features chrome kidney grille slats and exhaust tips as well as chrome trim on the front and rear bumpers. The ORVM base, window trim and B-pillars are finished in high-gloss black. Inside, the car gets aluminium door sill plates, sports leather steering wheel, ambient lighting, along with wood and chrome interior trim.

The 620d Gran Turismo comes with a two-part panoramic sunroof, electrically adjustable rear seats with power sun blinds, rear-seat entertainment package with two 10.2-inch colour screens, Blu-ray player, HDMI connections for MP3 players and gaming consoles. It has a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay connectivity and BMW iDrive touch controller and gesture control. The car has an 8.8-inch digital instrument cluster and a rear view camera.

The 620d Gran Turismo is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 188 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 400 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. It has five driving modes - Sport, Comfort, Comfort+, Eco Pro and Adaptive and comes equipped with air-suspension with automatic self-levelling function.

Some of the standard safety features offered on this model include ABS with brake assist, Dynamic Stability Control, traction control, Cornering Brake Control, Hill Descent Control, runflat tyres among others.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:02   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW 620d Gran Turismo launched at Rs. 63.90 lakh

What do you do in a market whose demand for fastback design cars is nearly non existent? You tempt people into buying one. BMW has been smart by launching this and slotting its pricing exactly in between that of 520d and 530d making the gap between each VERY narrow. Its more like a move to push 520d buyer into buying the more spacious, practical and unique looking 6 GT. (and then maybe pushing a little more to go for the 530d?)

That being said, one thing is for sure with this launch. The E220d All Terrain is unofficially dead. Its been undercut by the 6 GT by a cool 12 lakhs. Whoever said the stars are far (especially 3 pointed ones) should realise that they have gone even further now.

Last edited by Starfire : 10th April 2019 at 19:06.
Starfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
What do you do in a market whose demand for fastback design cars is nearly non existent? You tempt people into buying one. BMW has been smart by launching this and slotting its pricing exactly in between that of 520d and 530d making the gap between each VERY narrow. Its more like a move to push 520d buyer into buying the more spacious, practical and unique looking 6 GT. (and then maybe pushing a little more to go for the 530d?)

That being said, one thing is for sure with this launch. The E220d All Terrain is unofficially dead. Its been undercut by the 6 GT by a cool 12 lakhs. Whoever said the stars are far (especially 3 pointed ones) should realise that they have gone even further now.
Forget the 5 series, the 620D GT, with a price nearly 5L lower than the 630D GT is there to give the E220d some tough competition. While you are right in saying the GT style is not going to suit most buyers preferences - which is why the E LWB will still continue being segment's best seller, at the lower price point I have a feeling a lot of buyers will switch over to the 6GT 20D once the discounts start rolling in and numbers will increase.

In fact, with the air suspension and better kit - it will pretty much boil down to looks (E Class) v/s Comfort (6GT).

Not to mention a horde of 3GT buyers who are wanting to upgrade, and are sold on the GT's practicality.

The E220d All Terrain is another market altogether, and compared with the Volvo V90 CC. The 6GT will, for most part, not be on the consideration set of a buyer looking at those options.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Forget the 5 series, the 620D GT, with a price nearly 5L lower than the 630D GT is there to give the E220d some tough competition.
In fact, with the air suspension and better kit - it will pretty much boil down to looks (E Class) v/s Comfort (6GT).
I have different views, E- Series looks a proper Large Sedan and anyone who has to spend most of the time in the rear seat will pick this over 5/GT.

But the guys who prefer to drive, especially long distances with family and are looking at something larger can consider this. I don't have a breakup of the 5 vs 6 sales but I doubt these will be anywhere close to the sales of E Class.

Instead of having so many variants for CKD models, they should probably focus more on continuity. So many members were looking to buy X3 in Petrol last year and they had none. Same for 530-D at the time of launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
BMW has been smart by launching this and slotting its pricing exactly in between that of 520d and 530d making the gap between each VERY narrow.
Correct but unfortunately we have very limited customers in this segment. Besides preference for Diesel is diminishing at least here in the North, no one will look at it. Instead, they could have done something on the 630i probably.

Quote:
Whoever said the stars are far (especially 3 pointed ones) should realise that they have gone even further now.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th April 2019 at 19:36.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

I'm conflicted in my opinion on the 620d. On one hand it seems sacrilege to call this car a Gran Turismo 6 series and then put a small 4 banger in it with not even 200 horses.

On the other hand I can actually see the appeal this car has and it makes practical sense as it will bring in more buyers. Merc probably sells more E220 and E200 than E350 and this will be a much closer option to them.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 01:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Pointless launch IMO, the 630i is a far better engine for the same price. However, like in the 5 the 20d outsells the 30i because our country is obsessed with Diesel engines. Hence it probably makes sense for them to launch this to appeal to the herd mentality old school buyers.

BMW has stopped the sport line versions of the 5 and 6GT. These were the well priced and well discounted models that got them back on the sales chart. They have now discontinued those to make way for the new 3 series.
This is a bad move, they will eventually have to either discount the luxury line heavily or bring back the sport line.

Last edited by Sahil : 11th April 2019 at 01:51.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 02:09   #7
BHPian

The 620d is meant for the buyers who like to sit at the rear and do not want to spend the extra 5-6 lakhs on the supreme V6 diesel because IMO it is worthless for them. That being said, the BMW four-cylinders are equally refined and comfortable while being punchy, it makes a great launch. It also gives the E220d some bang on tough competition!
aman-bh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:54   #8

With the 620d, BMW finally has a real chance to compete with the LWB E class. Will be a pity if BMW fails to capitalise on what I believe is a fantastic alternative to the LWB E class - buyers in this segment no longer base their decision on badge and back seat alone, and care about tech/performance/looks/youthfulness as well. I guess it will boil down to how aggressively BMW drives sales, and how soon - wait until Diwali and it will only be uphill for the 6GT thereon.
jassi123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 11:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

Personally I am excited that this brings the 6 GT into an even more attractive price point. For my personal usage it is one of the most practical formats of car and I would have no hesitation buying one.

I would definitely be open to flipping my 3 GT at some point for a ~3 yr used 6 GT at a good price and remapping it from a reliable source after 4-5 years. The fact that this is a cheaper model would hopefully throw up good offers on the used variants.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 12:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

With the 620d I'm sure well see a lot of 6GTs on the road now. There are enough people who would want the added comfort and space over a 5 series (and the much better rear bench), but would not want a petrol or to pay the large difference for the 30d 6GT.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks