Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)

According to a media report, registration of new vehicles has been blocked since May 2, 2019 (Thursday) as the deadline for integrating high security registration plates (HSRPs) with the Vahan database has passed.

No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-hsrp.jpg

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has directed the National Informatics Centre (NIC) to block access to the Vahan application for vehicle registration. As a result, registration certificates (RC) cannot be issued for new vehicles in any state, except in Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, which use their own software. RTOs are unable to issue temporary permits as well.

HSRPs have been made mandatory for cars manufactured after April 1, 2019. The government had issued a circular regarding the same to all state governments. All new vehicles have to be fitted with HSRPs, while dealerships are required to update the security codes of each plate on the Vahan portal.

Source: The Hindu

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)

While this is a step in the right direction, it might hamper the already low car sales this quarter. Hope they implement this better unlike many other initiatives
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:36   #3
BANNED

What do we do in Ulta Pradesh.

We do not have HSRP till now!

Looks like someone trying to fend off their own incompetence.
sgiitk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to my friend Vaibhav Sawant for sharing this!

My local Maruti dealer has started HSRP plates since April 15. Once RTO assigns the number, it is submitted to the vendor who delivers it to the dealer within 24 hrs. The delivery incharge will drill holes in to the plates and fix them on the car using rivets (tamper proof) using a special tool. He also has an app where photos of chassis number and plates are uploaded after fixing them.

Both plates have a laser serial number etched into them and a sticker with these details is also fixed on the windscreen.

Strictly no deliveries without these plates. Also incase of any body work (bumper painting etc), the plates will be removed and new plates will be ordered for a fee. Car will not be released without HSRP plates. Also new cars post May 2 should not be spotted without HSRP else the dealership will be fined.

Maruti is also incorporating this change into their DMS systems so that no gate pass is issued unless the HSRP plate is fixed.

No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-9b138d6dc3d648a0b5778adb91b7cad2.jpg

No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-db6adc10cebd4a71b44b04c8e3139ecb.jpg

No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-64f2379f3d324cb088b956bf6e59386c.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2019 at 14:33. Reason: Small typo
blackwasp is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:10   #5
BHPian

So in the near future, cars registered prior to April 15 would also need to get HSRP fixed. So how does that work out for out of state cars?
I have a KA passing car running around in Mumbai. Would I have to go to KA RTO or MH RTO for the change
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
So in the near future, cars registered prior to April 15 would also need to get HSRP fixed. So how does that work out for out of state cars?
I have a KA passing car running around in Mumbai. Would I have to go to KA RTO or MH RTO for the change
Going by the current set of by-laws, you will have to get HSRP issued by the KA RTO
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

What happens to cars currently awaiting delivery? I'd be loath to pay for a car only to wait indefinitely due to registration issues.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, registration of new vehicles has been blocked since May 2, 2019 (Thursday) as the deadline for integrating high security registration plates (HSRPs) with the Vahan database has passed.

Source: The Hindu

Link to Team-BHP News
Very good initiative by Indian government to take account of the vehicles on Indian roads.

These high security number plates are already in existence in many countries and they prove to be very useful in tracking the vehicles.

Police department can easily track vehicles with the help of high security number plates and cctv, when a vehicle breaks traffic rules.

Police giving penalty receipts or negotiation with the driver will be history, if these things are implemented thoroughly and effectively.

Venkatesh.H

Last edited by ajmat : 5th May 2019 at 14:50. Reason: Reducing quoted post
Venkatesh.H is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:47   #9
tud
BHPian

Tamil Nadu is already providing HSRP since April 2019. So registrations shouldn't be hampered.

I was at a two wheeler showroom last week and the salesperson was mentioning 4 days as the approximate delivery timeline in Chennai from the time of paying the full amount.
Day 1 - Vehicle regn
Day 2 - Number allotment
Day 3 - Number plate manufacture
Day 4 - Number plate fitment

Day 3 and 4 could be merged if the system becomes more efficient. Ideally Day 1 should be for vehicle registration and number allotment. Day 2 first half for number plate stamping and second half for fitment.

The dealer showed an RTO app where they access every vehicle with the registration number and have to mandatorily upload pics of front and back number plates after fitment and a pic of the chassis number.
tud is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 15:28   #10
BHPian

Gujarat has issued HSRP since before 2015. Surprised their name is not mentioned above. I have a 2016 car with HSRP from Gujarat.
M00M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 16:45   #11
BHPian

When we purchased our last new car in 2012 in Haryana, we had paid for the HSRP and got it affixed from the authorized vendor along with the sticker on the windshield listing the registration details.

To the best of my knowledge, the police had also put out circulars mandating the existing owners to switch their cars to HSRPs and had started challaning specific series of cars not having these plates based on the dates when the car was sold.

It's amazing to see it has been 7 years but the process has not been implemented countrywide even now, not even in the metros.

It's even more baffling to see people brandishing plates with only the words "JAAT" and "GUJJAR" so ensuring compliance with HSRPs is quite a long stretch.
theMandarin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 16:59   #12
BHPian

Incredibly enough, this HSRP initiative has already been used to scam people:

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1800347_1.html

The quality of number plates was so poor, in some cases the entire number simply rubbed off after just 1-2 years of usage! And since people were not allowed to remove the number plate, some just used a marker on top of the protruding portions to highlight the number.

It would be comic if it wasn't tragic

Last edited by avisidhu : 3rd May 2019 at 17:09.
avisidhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:31   #13
BHPian

I don't believe registration of new vehicles is "blocked" - it's just that the new HSRPs are mandatory now.

My new car salesman (I'm getting a Polo GT TSI) just called me to say registration (with new HSRP number plates) is in process and I will get delivery on Monday - we were aiming for Saturday hence the call to inform me.

This is in Pune/Maharashtra in my case.
vishalrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 22:14   #14
BHPian

Dad and I read about this in the morning. My parents' Kodiaq was to get registered today. Went through without any concern so I don't think registrations are blocked. We even got a text from the RTO confirming the same.

Delivery is to go as planned but yet to see if we'll get HSRP.
saur95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 09:14   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks to my friend Vaibhav Sawant for sharing this!
Thanks for sharing, Kanad ! Good to see the Govt finally getting serious about HSRP plates.

I guess this marks the end of custom number-plate fonts (I will miss my favourite = the DC font). That being said, I'm glad that the govt has chosen a fairly neutral font design. Imagine if some babu had signed off on an ugly font / style .

Once all cars on the road have the same number-plate, it stops being a design thing. E.g. in USA, I never ever paid attention to the number-plate, nor did I think it adds the same style value as it does in India.

Related Thread (Your favourite number-plate font)
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks