Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 13:23   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen moves to Supreme Court against 500 crore NGT fine

I have come to know that Volkswagen has moved to Supreme Court against the 500 Crore fine by NGT. Please note that Volkswagen earlier also moved to Supreme Court against Rs. 100 Crore fine which was then reconsidered by NGT after remand by Supreme Court. The matter relates to use of cheat device in Volkswagen cars in India which allowed emission of Nitrogen Dioxide well above the prescribed levels.

This may be a call for standardization of other norms at par with global standards in India. Another example of giving cold shoulder to Indian customers for quality of Vehicle is Ford Endeavour which has been extensively discussed at Team BHP.

India is globally one of the least polluting nations and despite that judicial activism of body like NGT is unparalleled.

In any case with scam like this, I sometime wonder how much we can trust companies who for meagre profits can compromise things like pollution.
evilminstrel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

If I am right, VW were convicted of circumventing strict NO2 emission levels in the US through software that cheated during rolling road testing.

This needs to be verified but the permitted NO2 emission levels for India were much higher and existing VW cars might have met Indian norms not US norms. This is the bone of contention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
India is globally one of the least polluting nations and despite that judicial activism of body like NGT is unparalleled.
What statistic do you base this on?

Last edited by ajmat : 6th May 2019 at 14:26.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:44   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen moves to Supreme Court against 500 crore NGT fine

If VW emissions were below the standards set down by our government, then I see no reason why they shouldn't approach the Supreme Court.

In eyes of the law, everything is either legal or illegal. And unless the emissions of their cars exceeded the Indian norms, they haven't done anything illegal.
Old 6th May 2019, 15:29   #4
BHPian

re: Volkswagen moves to Supreme Court against 500 crore NGT fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

This needs to be verified but the permitted NO2 emission levels for India were much higher and existing VW cars might have met Indian norms not US norms. This is the bone of contention.
We should also not forget that BS-4 norms became applicable Pan India only from 1st April 2017. Before that it was a combination of BS 3 & 4. So for a fine based on total sales across India fine it should mean that not even BS-3 norms were being met. I highly doubt that the engines pollute that bad. To me the NGT action seems knee-jerk and not based on facts
Old 7th May 2019, 12:57   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen moves to Supreme Court against 500 crore NGT fine

VW gets temporary relief from the Supreme Court - full article.

Quote:
The Supreme Court has provided some temporary relief to the Volkswagen Group by directing the National Green Tribunal to not yet implement the fine of ₹500 crore that it had slapped on the German car maker for polluting the air through use of cheat device in its diesel cars.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks