Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2019, 12:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Rapid to get 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with 7-speed DSG

Skoda Rapid to get 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with a high-tech 7-speed DSG dual-clutch unit,

This engine will trickle in to all VAG products in India. Diesel variant will not be on offer post April 2020.

Quote:
In international markets, the three-cylinder turbo-petrol model is available in two states of tune – 95hp/160Nm and 115hp/200Nm – and the Rapid is likely to get the more powerful of the two versions.
Skoda Rapid to get 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with 7-speed DSG-1.jpg

Quote:
The new EA 211 series will be BS6-compliant and could effectively be the only powertrain on offer for the Rapid as VW's current 1.5-litre diesel will also not be upgraded to meet the stricter emission norms that will come into force from April 2020.
Quote:
The Group is currently studying the feasibility of upgrading the 2.0-litre diesel to meet the BS6 emission norms.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th May 2019 at 12:19.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 13:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Polo and Ameo facelift details out

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda Rapid to get 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with a high-tech 7-speed DSG dual-clutch unit
Wow, this makes me want to rush my purchase of the 1.2 TSI while it's still around, even though the power figures are higher for the 1.0 TSI. I can't get my head around the idea that an engine with one cylinder less and lesser displacement will be more/as reliable while churning out more power and torque; it's going to be more stressed at all times.

I'm sure it's easier to comply with BS6 norms with a smaller, more fuel efficient engine; plus it costs lesser as well, even lesser in India if it's manufactured locally. This explains the trend of VAG downsizing to 1.0 TSI in international markets, be it Golf or Polo or Rapid or Octavia.

It's simply hard to appreciate this move as an enthusiast.

I found some posts in international forums where this 1.2 to 1.0 move has already been done by Skoda, and folks are not happy but coming to terms with it; lower end performance suffers as well. Here are some links -

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...tsi-vs-10-tsi/

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...0tsi-or-12tsi/

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...new-10-tsi-95/

In all fairness, the 1.0 is more refined, quieter and about 5-10% more fuel efficient than the 1.2 (#KitnaDetiHai) and the low end lag might be covered up by the quick shifting DSG, but it's just not right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
This kind of rumour and speculation in my mind is what made me go for the Polo 1.2 GT TSI just this past month mainly concerned about a weaker engine coming in.
You're a very foresighted man, I'll follow in your footsteps very soon I guess
kubectl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 16:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid to get 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with 7-speed DSG

Skoda Rapid to get 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine with 7-speed DSG - Posts moved to new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 17:41   #4
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2019 at 13:08.
Cayman360 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2019, 18:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This engine will trickle in to all VAG products in India. Diesel variant will not be on offer post April 2020.

Expected to be introduced around early next year, the new EA 211 series will be BS6-compliant and could effectively be the only powertrain on offer for the Rapid as VW's current 1.5-litre diesel will also not be upgraded to meet the stricter emission norms that will come into force from April 2020.
What will be the future Diesel models from this stable?

This means that the Polo/Ameo/Vento will have only petrol engines! I think Polo/Ameo will continue with the 1.0 MPI engine currently on offer. Polo GT will have the 1.0 TSI unit.

Time to grab a deal on Polo/Ameo/Vento/Rapid TDI vehicles. I think, VAG groups bread earner was the TDI mill, don't know what lies in future.

Drive safe,
surjaonwheelz
Old 21st May 2019, 01:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
This means that the Polo/Ameo/Vento will have only petrol engines! I think Polo/Ameo will continue with the 1.0 MPI engine currently on offer. Polo GT will have the 1.0 TSI unit.
VW introduced this 1.0TSI as well as the new 1.5TSI EVO engine on the polo. In my opinion, the Skoda will replace its 1.6MPI + AT with this 1.0TSI + DSG while VW polo/vento will get the new 1.5TSI EVO engine.

Skoda never had much of the group's premium offerings like the 1.2TSI + DSG combo on their entry-level models anyway so this move might be good news. Better product differentiation between the brands and new tech. Win-win for everyone.

Just my thoughts on it... Never know what's going on at their HQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Wow, this makes me want to rush my purchase of the 1.2 TSI while it's still around, even though the power figures are higher for the 1.0 TSI.

In all fairness, the 1.0 is more refined, quieter and about 5-10% more fuel efficient than the 1.2 (#KitnaDetiHai) and the low end lag might be covered up by the quick shifting DSG, but it's just not right!
I agree! It may look better on paper but in real world conditions especially in our roads bigger might be better.

Which car are you planning to get though? Polo GT TSI or Vento TSI? Waiting might be worth it if we lived in the perfect world where 1.5TSI EVO was coming to our shores.
Cheers!
TSIboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 08:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
Which car are you planning to get though? Polo GT TSI or Vento TSI? Waiting might be worth it if we lived in the perfect world where 1.5TSI EVO was coming to our shores.
I'm planning on Vento TSI. Polo GT TSI is more fun but rear seat space is unbearable.

As much as I'd want, I don't think 1.5 TSI EVO is coming to the current batch. VW is already testing Polo with newer engine and rumours point to 1.0 TSI and I think the 1.0 gives them immediate benefit in complying with BS6 norms so it makes sense for them to go for it. Also, there's more tax on engines higher than 1200 cc, so I doubt the 1.5 even more.

There's a lot going on in both, Skoda and VW, right now - BS6 compliance, newer models, merger, etc - I don't think their focus really is on Polo/Vento right now because of low sales, they just want to make them BS6 compliant and move on the new and shiny Kamiq, T-Roc, T-Cross, Virtus, etc.

Last edited by kubectl : 21st May 2019 at 09:05.
kubectl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:02   #8
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
VW introduced this 1.0TSI as well as the new 1.5TSI EVO engine on the polo. In my opinion, the Skoda will replace its 1.6MPI + AT with this 1.0TSI + DSG while VW polo/vento will get the new 1.5TSI EVO engine.
I doubt that would happen. The 1.5 TSi would be reserved for the D segment offerings and their crossovers. VAG is still considering upgrading the 2.0 TDi to BS6 standards which definitely would take significant amount of time. Also there has been no news about their cracker of an engine, the 1.8 TSi. So, in my opinion, 1.0TSi is what the Polo and Vento owners will have to live with and it will be a downgrade to the D segment folks as well, moving from 1.8 to 1.5. Remember, the competition, the civic will also get the 1.5 turbo when BS6 kicks in, replacing the 1.8 NA.

Quote:
Skoda never had much of the group's premium offerings like the 1.2TSI + DSG combo on their entry-level models anyway so this move might be good news. Better product differentiation between the brands and new tech. Win-win for everyone.
Times have changed my friend. Now VW India is under the mercy of Skoda India. If some flaunting is to happen, it would be with Skoda offerings and not VW in my opinion.
NTO is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks