Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2019, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
TusharK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,180
Thanked: 28,089 Times
Default Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Tata Motors is now offering an automated manual transmission (AMT) on the Tiago NRG. The AMT variant is priced at Rs. 6,14,990 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh-tiagonrgtungston.png

The Tiago NRG is based on the standard Tiago but has a higher ground clearance. It comes with a black grille and headlamps with black inserts. It has a black bodykit, roof rails and black trim on the tail gate. The roof rails and ORVMs are also painted black. The car rides on steel wheels that have dual-tone wheel caps.

Inside, the Tiago NRG comes equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, multi-function steering wheel and voice recognition among other features.

Powering the Tiago NRG AMT is a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 84 BHP and 114 Nm of torque and is mated to a 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,233
Thanked: 2,070 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

these AMT gearboxes are Jugaad at best and IMH should be banned on passenger cars. they are such a half baked effort and in an emergency can be down right dangerous given how slow witted they are in changing gears, especially on engines that have low torque.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 14:14   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RJ-02,DL,MH-12
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 1,826 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

What is TML looking to achieve with NRG trim? AMTs are no good for any segment unless they start performing equivalent to a TC; which is not going to happen.

Tiago is a stable product for TML and they should not get overwhelmed. Even the JTP needs a lot of work to iron out pending issues and niggles. Unless its a true automatic, there is no point in launching it.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 14:27   #4
BHPian
 
tarik.arora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Noida
Posts: 533
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
these AMT gearboxes are Jugaad at best and IMH should be banned on passenger cars. they are such a half baked effort and in an emergency can be down right dangerous given how slow witted they are in changing gears, especially on engines that have low torque.
A little OT but AMT's are not as bad as they are projected. They may not be as smooth, fast or refined as a TC / CVT / DCT but they are certainly not dangerous. Any vehicle (regardless of the drive train) can be dangerous if you drive it without understanding it. Even a diesel engine with turbo-lag can be dangerous while overtaking if you are not in the power band.

We must understand the cost vs benefit ratio here. For just INR 40-50K, you get a car without clutch pedal. It is the need of the hour. You cannot expect a buyer from this segment to spend over a lac (15-20% of the vehicle value) to get auto tanny. AMTs are a stepping stone for a developing country like ours where we want convenience but for a smaller price. For an average driver, AMT is a perfect blend of cost, ease and performance.
tarik.arora is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 14:30   #5
BHPian
 
Superleggera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kannur/Boston
Posts: 496
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
A little OT but AMT's are not as bad as they are projected. They may not be as smooth, fast or refined as a TC / CVT / DCT but they are certainly not dangerous. Any vehicle (regardless of the drive train) can be dangerous if you drive it without understanding it. Even a diesel engine with turbo-lag can be dangerous while overtaking if you are not in the power band.

We must understand the cost vs benefit ratio here. For just INR 40-50K, you get a car without clutch pedal. It is the need of the hour. You cannot expect a buyer from this segment to spend over a lac (15-20% of the vehicle value) to get auto tanny. AMTs are a stepping stone for a developing country like ours where we want convenience but for a smaller price. For an average driver, AMT is a perfect blend of cost, ease and performance.
Completely agree. Taking an example from the recent Venue Launch

Base Version Cost : 6.5 L
Cost of the base Automatic : 9.5 L
The difference is close to 50% of the Car's value.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 15:33   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RJ-02,DL,MH-12
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 1,826 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Completely agree. Taking an example from the recent Venue Launch

Base Version Cost : 6.5 L
Cost of the base Automatic : 9.5 L
The difference is close to 50% of the Car's value.
Goodness what kind of analysis is this !!

The base version is 1.2 Litre NA whereas Auto is 1.0 Litre turbo GDI. Please don't paint incorrect picture.

Should you wish - compere the auto vs manual with same engine.
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 16:27   #7
BHPian
 
Superleggera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kannur/Boston
Posts: 496
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Goodness what kind of analysis is this !!
No Analysis done here mate, just quoted the the price as available in the market. Am sure that if AMT was offered with the the TC engine price would have come under 8L.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RJ-02,DL,MH-12
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 1,826 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
No Analysis done here mate, just quoted the the price as available in the market. Am sure that if AMT was offered with the the TC engine price would have come under 8L.
You mean to say that a Turbo charged GDI engine base model with Ex Showroom of INR 8.21 Lac (trim S) would get sold at below INR 8 Lac with AMT had it also been offered with trim E !

Unbelievable !

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2019 at 10:08. Reason: First line was unnecessary, buddy
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 10:07   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60,570
Thanked: 197,630 Times
Default Re: Tata Tiago NRG AMT launched at Rs. 6.15 lakh

Mod Note: No more discussion on the Venue please.

To discuss AMTs versus other transmissions, check out this thread (Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?), in which the AMT got a mere 3.5% of votes. I hate AMTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Completely agree.
All other things being the same, the normal premium for a conventional AT is ~1 lakh rupees, while that for the AMT is ~50% lesser.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2019 at 10:10.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks