Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 19:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid breakdown and their excuse for voiding warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I am a bit confused by the story. First it is a glow plug indication, then an injector. None of these have to do with the car having an DSG autobox of course.
Well, in the case of this specific car (Skoda Rapid, VW Vento & Maybe the Polo & Ameo), the warning light looks like a glow plug, but the error, in reality, is a Fault in the Engine Management System. This is the dreaded error which has the resale of VW cars dip so low!

It basically means, there's a fault in the EGR or Injectors. If its the EGR the car behaves as if its in limp mode (Repair cost in dealership around 50k). Injector error symptoms seem to differ from car to car. (Each injector around 25k)

-------------------------------------------------------

@OP: Well, what the dealership says is pretty much true. They might not honour the warranty if you mess up the electricals from outside. I know cases where dealerships have not honoured the warranty for electrical parts due to the customer fitting alloy wheels!

At least in India, I think, getting a warranty claim is a show influence or its a goodwill from the dealer. . You may be able to get justice if you go the legal way, but then it's a long journey ahead. Better to sweet talk/influence the dealer.

Last edited by dhanushs : 4th June 2019 at 19:26.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 22:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid breakdown and their excuse for voiding warranty!

I owned a 1.6 Rapid diesel for 6 years and I had two instances of the glow plug indicator coming on.

In the first instance, just when I had done around 30k or so, this warning light comes on and then literally the turbo stops working. The next day the service centre folks tell me its an EGR failure. Then after 2 days they say its not the EGR, but a Turbo failure! And the Turbo costs a whopping 1.4 lakhs! Since I was covered under warranty, Skoda replaced it free of cost.

Then after a year or so, just when my extended warranty had expired, again the dreaded warning light comes on! And then its the EGR failure. I then get in touch with Skoda directly even before the dealer says its my turn to pay, and I ensure that the EGR is replaced on Goodwill or whatever Skoda chose to call it.

And post both the incidents, I kept wondering as to when the injectors will fail! I mean that was always in the queue somewhere!

Anyway, after 6 years and 60k kms I sold the car for a decent value and moved on to a more peaceful Hyundai 1.6 Creta Diesel.
To be fair, Skoda never made me run around for the above incidents. They were quick to acknowledge the issues and did not ever seem like they wanted me to foot the bill.

Also, I was careful from day one. No external wiring or whatsoever. My HU was installed by the dealer during delivery of the car and I made him sign the date and time of installation. And I have never once given the car to any valet and no other person apart from me and the service center guys has ever driven the car. And in spite of being so careful, I still had two massive incidents.

Well, what can you say! The car is one of the best around, but the ownership experience is very stressful.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 19:54   #18
BHPian

The service report of 2017 Rapid mentioned 'Unauthorized electrical installation fitted'. The so called 'unauthorized installation' was a dash cam plugged into the 12v plug. When confronted, Skoda took it off the service record. Me as a matter of principle do not tamper with any installations or make any modifications despite the temptations.
Understand from my SA, it was good that I fought and got the records updated as it would had an impact on my warranty cover if I needed one later.
Marshall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:24   #19
BHPian

For closure, on how the case was finally handled.

To Shrine Skoda / Skoda India,

This is with regard to Vehicle MH01-------- that recently had an injector fitted from Shrine Skoda.

Delivery day : 11th June 2019.

I was picked up from Shiroli, Kolhapur in a Skoda Octavia 2002 owned by Shrine Skoda that had clocked approximately 218,000 on ODO. Very impressed to see a 17 year old Skoda with that reading running so smoothly and still in commission. It confirms that if cars are maintained and serviced at regular intervals, a long life is possible.

I then collected the vehicle from the service centre at approximately 4.00pm, after which my case was handled by Mr.Swarup Mane.
I was more than pleased by how the car looked and sounded during my short test drive. Swarup was courteous enough to also provide me with the entire service history of the vehicle for the last 4 years.

While I would have liked a complete warranty coverage, a 50% good will gesture is acceptable to me and I am grateful that Skoda took up this case seriously.

During checkout, I met with Rayees who explained to me various other aspects of the car. He also explained to me that turning in the car for a new 2019 Rapid would get me a 6 year warranty. Since my travel average is approximately 2-3k a month, this might be a nice option.

I thank Shrine Auto and Mr Aslam for attending to the car immediately, for fixing up the car as quickly as possible, its the legal procedures the delayed the delivery. Shine Auto is managed very well and they ensured I had water, a charging point and a clean AC waiting room for the entire day (31st May) that I was stranded between cities. They also were gracious enough to drop me close to the Kolhapur bus stand after which I continued my journey to Goa that night.

Lastly, I thank Roshan for listening to my case with patience, Mr Gagan, for ensuring that the case got a fair hearing, and Mr Prithviraj who finally stepped in and resolved the issue immediately.

My faith remains restored in Skoda India who also were quite prompt to respond over twitter. In the end, I don't wish for what is unreasonable, just what is just.

I will probably document my ownership over a one year period on TeamBHP as a way to contribute back to the community.

Cheers and Regards,

Ian Nazareth

I thank TeamBHP member blackwasp specially for posting on my behalf.
Sharing this here as it might be of help to other BHPians with similar problems.
IanNazareth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 12:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNazareth View Post
For closure, on how the case was finally handled.
Glad to know you were able to resolve matters. However, a couple of points in your post have raised more questions than they answered
Quote:
Swarup was courteous enough to also provide me with the entire service history of the vehicle for the last 4 years
You are the first owner,right? If so, wouldn't you anyways have the entire service history?
Quote:
While I would have liked a complete warranty coverage, a 50% good will gesture is acceptable to me
Did you have to bear 50% of the Rs.25000, i.e. 12,500? What was the point of paying for an extended warranty if only half the costs are being covered!
Quote:
He also explained to me that turning in the car for a new 2019 Rapid would get me a 6 year warranty. Since my travel average is approximately 2-3k a month, this might be a nice option.
I punched in your registration number into the parivahan website and it shows up as a June 2015 Rapid. You would take a huge depreciation hit by selling it off. Not to mention that "upgrading" to a 2019 Rapid makes absolutely no sense since the same model is being flogged to death by Skoda over the past few years. Essentially you are getting the exact same car just a bit more shinier. My guess is they want to buy your car at a ridiculously low price and at the same time sell another car of the same model that hasn't exactly lit the sales chart of fire. Win-win for them.This is besides the fact that they have not even honored the extended warranty you purchased so why give the same company your money again?

Last edited by Iyencar : 14th June 2019 at 13:02. Reason: Punctuation
Iyencar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 20:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

It is extremely disappointing to see such threads on our forum, posted here to possible take some advantage of the publicity it generates and use the same in getting your case solved. So many things just do not add up in this case.

1. Why is the owner so happy paying for a part even when he paid for extended warranty.

2. In the first post, the owner was convinced that the addition of a small footlamp light has nothing to do with the injector failure and the forum supported this observation. Now in a matter of days, the tone and narrative have taken a 360 degree turn.
Mind telling us how is the footlamp installation contributory to the injector failure.

3. The language of the last post ( which I believe would be his last on this matter) is a straight giveaway that it was probably composed by Skoda itself.

Going into the future, I feel the Mods should put such threads in the assembly section till they can ascertain the facts of the case themselves.
drmohitg is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 21:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
1. Why is the owner so happy paying for a part even when he paid for extended warranty.

3. The language of the last post ( which I believe would be his last on this matter) is a straight giveaway that it was probably composed by Skoda itself.
You are right sir, even i thought the same after reading OP's update and I too feel something fishy about his post may be there was some dealing which is not disclosed.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 21:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNazareth View Post
I was more than pleased by how the car looked and sounded during my short test drive. Swarup was courteous enough to also provide me with the entire service history of the vehicle for the last 4 years.
Aren't you the first owner? Even if you're not, didn't you check the service records before purchasing it?

Quote:
While I would have liked a complete warranty coverage, a 50% good will gesture is acceptable to me and I am grateful that Skoda took up this case seriously.
You mentioned you had extended warranty. How come you're okay with 50% goodwill gesture when explicitly it's mentioned: engine and its components are covered in warranty.

Quote:
During checkout, I met with Rayees who explained to me various other aspects of the car.
What other aspects are you talking about? Did you buy this vehicle the day before breakdown?

Quote:
Since my travel average is approximately 2-3k a month, this might be a nice option.
Did they even tell you how and why did the injector fail with such a low running?

Quote:
I thank Shrine Auto and Mr Aslam for attending to the car immediately, for fixing up the car as quickly as possible, its the legal procedures the delayed the delivery. Shine Auto is managed very well and they ensured I had water, a charging point and a clean AC waiting room for the entire day (31st May) that I was stranded between cities. They also were gracious enough to drop me close to the Kolhapur bus stand after which I continued my journey to Goa that night.

Lastly, I thank Roshan for listening to my case with patience, Mr Gagan, for ensuring that the case got a fair hearing, and Mr Prithviraj who finally stepped in and resolved the issue immediately.

My faith remains restored in Skoda India who also were quite prompt to respond over twitter. In the end, I don't wish for what is unreasonable, just what is just.
Oh C'mon! If this was something unreasonable why did you even send this on TeamBHP in the first place? Things are not adding up.

Quote:
It is extremely disappointing to see such threads on our forum, posted here to possible take some advantage of the publicity it generates and use the same in getting your case solved.

Going into the future, I feel the Mods should put such threads in the assembly section till they can ascertain the facts of the case themselves.
Can't agree more.
batish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 22:23   #24
BHPian

From reading various replies over my letter, it’s slowly occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn’t have gone in for a 50% settlement given the explanations don’t add up.
However, to clear up some facts that I lacked mentioning.

1. I am owner 3. I purchased this car about 2 months ago in April. It seems to be in very good condition apart from the issue at hand.

2. I am not working for Skoda or have anything to do with them other than for the services rendered on my car.

3. I merely settled as it was becoming cumbersome to travel to and back from work. I needed the car soon

4. My insurance expired while the car was under repair. However, I’m now told that insurance companies generally have a 30day grace period. (Please clarify this if possible, uncertain here)

I’m basically driving around with fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again. Does anyone have a clear solution to the injector problem?

Greatly appreciate the much needed criticism

Last edited by aah78 : 14th June 2019 at 23:18. Reason: LIST fixed.
IanNazareth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 09:20   #25

Quote:
It is extremely disappointing to see such threads on our forum, posted here to possible take some advantage of the publicity it generates and use the same in getting your case solved. So many things just do not add up in this case.

2. In the first post, the owner was convinced that the addition of a small footlamp light has nothing to do with the injector failure and the forum supported this observation. Now in a matter of days, the tone and narrative have taken a 360 degree turn.
Mind telling us how is the footlamp installation contributory to the injector failure.

I completely disagree.

TeamBHP is a forum of automotive enthusiast and not of consumer activist.

We are supposed to be common folks who have other things also to do in life.

Car is purchased for the purpose and peace of mind it offers and not all of us will be able to fight the case legally till end and work at other fronts in life.

Most of us if in such situation will weigh the balance between efforts required to get justice and peace which comes with some compromise.
Ultimately life needs to move on.

I think it is a bit mean to typecast the concerned person with words like "it was composed by Skoda itself ".

Ultimately what all of us should be happy about is @ Ian Nazareth case was solved and he was able to get back to his life and TeamBHP contributed to it.

Also we should thank @blackwasp for posting this on his behalf.
VIKINGTILLDEATH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 11:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGTILLDEATH View Post
I completely disagree.

TeamBHP is a forum of automotive enthusiast and not of consumer activist.

We are supposed to be common folks who have other things also to do in life.
If it was a pure and pure enthusiasts forum, we wouldn't have threads about dealership wrong-doings in the first place. As you say, a car is bought for one's use and to make life easier. If things go wrong, get it fixed and move on. You shouldn't then start a thread on the apparent horrible experience with the dealership. You can write pages about how good or bad the car is, but there isn't any space for bad experience/cheating by the dealership. As an enthusiasts why should I be bothered about how much a failed injector costs you. I can discuss about the merits and demerits of an injector etc but how much the dealership is asking to repair your car is none of my concern.

Even we as readers and members have "other things to do in our lives". But when we come on this forum, we are in a different world where this is our family. If you write a report about a new car purchase, as a reader I feel as if I have bought it. If you write a travelogue, I feel as if I visited that place. And similarly if you write about a bad experience, I feel cheated. I can go and on about this but in summary, we are all emotionally involved in your journey. And it shows in the replies.

But then a simple post saying all is well again without giving any explanation whatsoever and going out of the way praising the car maker, makes us readers feel cheated and let down. Or shall I say used.

Quote:
I think it is a bit mean to typecast the concerned person with words like "it was composed by Skoda itself ".
Read the opening and last post. Do you genuinely feel that this was an honest post? There have been cases elsewhere on the forum where the parties have reached settlements outside the court under the "non disclosure clauses". Why don't you think we have felt the same way there? Because owners have mentioned that. And in that case we get it and respect it. A simple line like "I have reached a settlement and cannot speak further on this" should suffice. We understand how the law works and no one is expecting the owner to break sweat and continue fighting in the court against his wish just so that he can in the end tell us about the settlement. That is not our goal. But then do not insult our intelligence by singing praises for the car maker contrary to all that you have posted so far.
drmohitg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 13:45   #27
BHPian

Being a little OT to the ongoing discussion here, I can vouch for the poor after sales service offered by Volkswagen - cousin of Skoda across 3 cities where I had to deal with them over close to 7.5 years and 166K kms. I have a Vento highline diesel 1.6 TDI & though my car is from the "dreaded" 2012 batch (March 2012 make), I did not face issue related to injector, EGR or Turbo. However, the pain in explain & monitor the service advisors to resolve any small issue, improper answers on queries, non-availability of spares, high cost of ownership (my avg. bill for any service without any replacement at standard 15K interval has not been below 12-13K), makes it a bitter-sweet experience to own Volkswagen -Skoda cars. The product is great but not backed by greater after-sales. It has always been an irritation to go to their service centers. I do, however, intend to keep the car with me for another 1-1.5 years primarily due to other personal priorities and being a little financially constrained in terms of purchasing another vehicle
Old 30th December 2019, 19:19   #28

Quote:
If it was a pure and pure enthusiasts forum, we wouldn't have threads about dealership wrong-doings in the first place. As you say, a car is bought for one's use and to make life easier. If things go wrong, get it fixed and move on. You shouldn't then start a thread on the apparent horrible experience with the dealership. You can write pages about how good or bad the car is, but there isn't any space for bad experience/cheating by the dealership. As an enthusiasts why should I be bothered about how much a failed injector costs you. I can discuss about the merits and demerits of an injector etc but how much the dealership is asking to repair your car is none of my concern.
Even we as readers and members have "other things to do in our lives". But when we come on this forum, we are in a different world where this is our family. If you write a report about a new car purchase, as a reader I feel as if I have bought it. If you write a travelogue, I feel as if I visited that place. And similarly if you write about a bad experience, I feel cheated. I can go and on about this but in summary, we are all emotionally involved in your journey. And it shows in the replies.
I can’t agree with you more on this. But every individual can have a different reaction to same experiences. Infact my first reaction was " relieved " when the concerned persons problem was solved.

Quote:
But then a simple post saying all is well again without giving any explanation whatsoever and going out of the way praising the car maker, makes us readers feel cheated and let down. Or shall I say used
I feel this to be one of the beauty of TeamBHP. Forum itself is non-judgemental, objective and transperent. It is its members like us who bring colour to it by our different reactions and opinions.
In fact we should be proud that it is one of the most democratic forum. Had it not been so this case of @IanNazareth would not have been put forward in front of the members so objectively.
And I am pretty sure our strict moderators would have given it a thought before creating a thread and giving membership to concerned person.

Quote:
Read the opening and last post. Do you genuinely feel that this was an honest post? There have been cases elsewhere on the forum where the parties have reached settlements outside the court under the "non disclosure clauses". Why don't you think we have felt the same way there? Because owners have mentioned that. And in that case we get it and respect it. A simple line like "I have reached a settlement and cannot speak further on this" should suffice. We understand how the law works and no one is expecting the owner to break sweat and continue fighting in the court against his wish just so that he can in the end tell us about the settlement. That is not our goal. But then do not insult our intelligence by singing praises for the car maker contrary to all that you have posted so far.
May be Skoda did go out of the way to make sure @IanNazareth was well taken care off just because of this thread and TeamBHP effect.
It would be preposterous to assume that a person working for Skoda would first post negative thing about the company and then sing praises just to amend it.
@IanNazareth may have been a bit casual in posting reply but he did give explanation afterwards.
Well I feel it comes down to ‘Point of View’.
To each his own.
All said and done lets all hope that Skoda did really did what it was supposed to do .
My wishful thinking because I am going to own one shortly .
VIKINGTILLDEATH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks