Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 14:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ranking of Indian car makers on the Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency table

India's largest Passenger Vehicle manufacturer Maruti Suzuki India has been able to achieve lowest 109.5 gm CO2 emission per km as against targeted 124.75 gm per km in the year 2017-18, reveals Annual Fuel Consumption Compliance Report by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).

- MSIL’s most of the cars have small engines with light weight and efficient design that has helped it achieve the target.

- Other than Maruti, five automakers- Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Ford and Honda Cars were able to report their average emissions below 130 gm/km.

- Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency (CAFE) regulations were implemented from April 1, 2017 in India.

- Average corporate CO2 emission should be less than 130 gm/km till 2022. However, going forward, it has to reduce to below 113 gm/ km.

Quote:
Force Motors turned out to on the top with highest emissions of 239.3 gm/km.
Quote:
Volkswagen on the other hand, reported its emissions 136.95 gm/km, lower than its target of 142 gm/km for the year 2017-2018. However, Volkswagen came under National Green Tribunal’s (NGT) lens for emission cheating earlier this year.
While Maruti Suzuki, currently, has the highest credit score of 24.82 (in metric tons/km), Volvo, Isuzu, Hindustan Motor, General Motor and Force Motor have zero credits.

Quote:
The report is based on M1 category vehicles with a gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3500 kg and is applicable under Central Motor Vehicle (CMV) rules,1989
Ranking of Indian car makers on the Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency table-1.jpg
Ranking of Indian car makers on the Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency table-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th June 2019 at 14:30.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 07:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ranking of Indian car makers on the Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency table

Maruti Suzuki cars most efficient, Toyota Kirloskar least as per the latest fuel consumption compliance report released by the Union transport ministry for 2017-18.

Name:  Capture7.png
Views: 15663
Size:  17.9 KB

Maruti Suzuki cars are the most efficient in terms of emissions and fuel consumption, with a CO2 emission of 109.5 gram per km and average fuel consumption of less than 5 litres for a distance of 100 km.

Toyota Kirloskar Motor had the highest average carbon dioxide (CO2) emission at 160.7 g/km, while in terms of fuel efficiency, Toyota cars consume around 7 litres of fuel for a 100-km distance.

Quote:
Carmakers which did not meet the required emission limits till FY18 were Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata Motors, Volkswagen group and FCA India Automobiles, the data showed. While M&M cars had an average emission level of 159.4 g/km, Tata Motors’ level was 136.5 g/km. Volkswagen group recorded an average emission of 136.9 g/km, and FCA India cars had an average emission levels of 155.2 g/km.
Quote:
Average fuel consumption in M&M and FCA India cars is close of 7 litres per 100 km, while Tata Motors and Volkswagen group cars consume around 6 litres for the same distance
Quote:
Hyundai, Honda and Ford’s average fuel consumption came in at 5.5 litres, Renault and Nissan cars’ fuel consumption was a tad less than 5 litres for a 100-km distance.
Luxury Segment:

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz India and Jaguar Land Rover had highest CO2 emission at 162.6 g/km and 168 g/km, respectively. BMW India cars emissions came in at 141.2 g/km. While Mercedes and JLR cars consumed about 7 litres fuel for a 100-km distance, BMW recorded an average fuel efficiency of around 6 litres
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st June 2019 at 07:27.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 09:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ranking of Indian car makers on the Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency table

To simplify things, these ranking favour:
• Manufacturers with more modern engines
(evolved to be more environmentally friendly)

• Manufacturers whose portfolios/sales consist mainly of smaller cars
(smaller/lighter cars are going to be more fuel efficient than larger/heavier ones)

Maruti is ahead (all their engines are sub 2-Liter in relatively small cars). In comparison a company like Toyota, which has 2.4 and 2.8L engines in big UVs making up a significant part of their sales is far behind.

I wonder if you moved a fuel-efficient best-seller like the Alto or Baleno to another company, how much that would improve their overall emissions numbers.

Hey, wait a minute: Toyota Glanza - A Rebadged Maruti Baleno!

Related international thread: FCA to pay $100M++ to Tesla, so it can count its cars as part of the FCA fleet to meet new EU emission norms

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- Average corporate CO2 emission should be less than 130 gm/km till 2022.
Interesting fact: Diesels engines actually produce less CO2 than their petrol counterparts.
...overall CO₂ emissions of a diesel car tend to be lower. In use, on average, this equates to around 200g CO₂/km for petrol and 120g CO₂/km for diesel. - Source

Overall these CAFE norms are great for the environment, but still a bit bittersweet for the enthusiasts, as these emissions goals do have a direct impact on the fun-to-drive factor of cars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st June 2019 at 10:23. Reason: Formatting
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is exactly why Toyota has got the Baleno rebadged into Glanza, and especially the Dualjet engine with mild hybrid. The addition of this small and light car into the portfolio will dramatically improve Toyota's score on both FE and CO2 parameters. Not only will this ensure compliance with bare minimum effort, this will allow them to show massive YoY improvement as compared to their old lineup dominated my 2.4 and 2.8 turbodiesels
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

What is the advantage of these 'credits' granted to companies for meeting the norms? And what are the penalties for others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
In comparison a company like Toyota, which has 2.4 and 2.8L engines making up a significant part of their sales is far behind.
Hence the 'Glanza exercise'!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 23:12   #6

Emission from Petrol and Diesel cars sold in India

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post, so please excuse mistakes.

Where can one find emissions from all petrol and diesel cars sold in India? And how does it compare to the emission limits of current BS4 and upcoming BS6 standards? I have seen an emission report from a friend's petrol car and I could not find a way to compare it with BS4 or BS6 standards. For example, BS4 standard states that CO limit is 1 gm/km for a petrol car. How do we calculate this from an emission report which tells CO in terms of %Vol? Same for other parameters as well.

Ranking of Indian car makers on the Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency table-grand_i10_petrol.jpg
This is from a 2 to 3 year old Grand i10 petrol.

I couldn't find NOx in the report. Could it be a limitation of this particular testing center alone?

If it isn't too much trouble, can forum members post emission numbers of their respective cars? And someone with the knowledge can educate everyone how to compare it against emission standards.

BS4 or BS6 does not have a limit on CO2. It would also be interesting to know how much CO2 each car emit.

I am looking to purchase a new car, my first car, and want to do my bit to the environment. Electric cars are way over my budget, so I want to buy an ICE car which is as less harmful to the environment as possible. Hence this request.

Note to MODs: I could not find any thread/post on this topic, hence starting a new one. If there is any, please direct accordingly.
evinay is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed