Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:31   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: The all-black Tata Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Well, we have XUV 500 W11 AWD AT variant, which almost ticks all the boxes (Diesel Automatic, 4WD, Sunroof, 6 airbags etc...).
Please do not get offended, but the ride quality, presence of rattles and a bit of bugs [battery draining out in current XUV] mars the entire experience. The first gen XUV's brakes weren't that great, haven't driven the current gen.

Here is the list by an owner of the similar variant as yours. Link. (Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs)

Quote:
Negatives
----------------
1. Rattles from the dashboard and 2nd row seats,
2. Missed 2nd gear 5-6 times,
3. Battery discharging if not used for 3-4 days,
4. Crashes over potholes,
5. Harsh ride quality over broken roads (not comfortable at all),
6. No luggage space (have to use it as a 5 seater in my road trips),
7. AC vents on the pillars in 2nd and 3rd row do not have blower controls,
8. Needs dedicated AC vents for 2nd row,
9. Air flow from the corner AC vents in 1st floor is very less,
10. Clutch lever is a bit tight,

I drive a Scorpio S10 4WD [which doesn't have a great ride quality or best of brakes] and I do not want to spend over 20L on a new vehicle, plus, I do not want the FE to be in ~10kmpl region as I do drive a bit.

The Harrier isn't perfect, so it needs to fine tune itself before being accepted by majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
4WD variants will be preferred by very few off-roading enthusiasts. The price of this variant would be easily about 1-1.5L over and above the top variant. Indian market is more of pricing and value for money driven market and such cars will never be seeing volumes.

Having said all these, I would any day prefer a 4WD SUV with Auto box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
XUV AWD AT is discontinued now. Only manual AWD is availiable. It could be because of low sales like you mentioned. I have a feeling Harrier will never get AWD. Development cost of AWD will increase the price across the range, not just the AWD version, because the bean counters will look at profitability as a whole for a model. So without sufficent numbers for the AWD version, the whole model's profitability will be red. Buzzard/Cassini might get it. But the pricing will be on par with compass I think.
Isn't it the similar for Fortuner/Endeavor/Storme/Hexa/Scorpio/XUV/Compass, all have AWD's or 4WD's and none of them have sales figure which favors the AWD or 4WD iteration, but they still have. This is why as an enthusiast, I request TML to launch an AWD or 4WD iteration, I may not go ahead and buy it on the first day, but for sure some of us enthusiasts may. I too would get lured for sure.

Honestly, I prefer a SUV with 4L and AWD may not cut-in, but at least it will provide a certain peace of mind which can not be expected from an RWD or FWD.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 23:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Isn't it the similar for Fortuner/Endeavor/Storme/Hexa/Scorpio/XUV/Compass, all have AWD's or 4WD's and none of them have sales figure which favors the AWD or 4WD iteration, but they still have. This is why as an enthusiast, I request TML to launch an AWD or 4WD iteration, I may not go ahead and buy it on the first day, but for sure some of us enthusiasts may. I too would get lured for sure.
With all due respect, I think you missed the point. It is not profitable for them to invest in a 4WD system for the Harrier and to launch a new variant which will further push the prices up by a lac or two. Companies like Toyota can afford it because they have, if nothing else, one thing to fall back to, and that is their brand equity. People swear by their T badged cars and most continue to be a customer to new launches, Tata cannot afford that, atleast not now. Tata doesn't have a deep pool of customers who swear by their past products, maybe in the future, but not now.

All they have to themselves is their USP tag and I don't see them letting go of it for a niche buyer base, which obviously are us, enthusiasts. As much as I'd love to see a AWD harrier, the chances of it being a reality is slim.

Last edited by SaiSW : 2nd August 2019 at 23:25.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Please do not get offended, but the ride quality, presence of rattles and a bit of bugs [battery draining out in current XUV] mars the entire experience. The first gen XUV's brakes weren't that great, haven't driven the current gen.
Nothing to get offended here Sir. I have been driving an XUV for the past 5-6 years. It definitely has its niggles, but am still happy and content with it. As per me, there is no perfect car in the market at the sub 20-25L bracket. So my search continues for a replacement car which would atleast be 70% to 80% perfect, as per my definition.
MukundanMK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:03   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
With all due respect, I think you missed the point. It is not profitable for them to invest in a 4WD system for the Harrier and to launch a new variant which will further push the prices up by a lac or two.
Financially, maybe it never makes sense. And I mentioned Toyota in the same breath in which I mentioned Tata and Mahindra. How many Storme, Hexa, Scorpio and XUV are sold in 4WD or AWD avatar, is it profitable for them? The answer would be anyone's guess.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Financially, maybe it never makes sense. And I mentioned Toyota in the same breath in which I mentioned Tata and Mahindra. How many Storme, Hexa, Scorpio and XUV are sold in 4WD or AWD avatar, is it profitable for them? The answer would be anyone's guess.
I agree. HEXA,XUV,Storme,Scorpio 4WD/AWD variants were not profitable. If you think about the four models we are discussing, they were designed a decade ago. Back then M&M and Tata did it to build an halo brand around them. But lot of water have flown under the bridge since then. Hyundai,Suzuki, MG and all have showed them that they don't need these niche features to get the money from Indians. You just need to make a aggressive looking front wheel drive car with tablets and can laugh all the way to the bank. That is why you see our homegrown majors reluctant to invest that money in 4x4 now. They did it once, it did build a brand, but it sure was not profitable for them. M&M was more successful when compared to Tata.

Toyota and Ford needs to be kept out of this comparison, because they design cars for international markets and they may have volumes to justify it internationally. Tata makes cars primarily for India and then think about exporting them. They need to win the numbers game in India first.

Also I think this new found love for automatics in India is causing problems for both TML and M&M. This is a new game for them and they simply don't have the know how or the extend of experience that international manufacturers have with automatics and that is causing the delay.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 3rd August 2019 at 11:52.
padmrajravi is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 13:46   #36
BHPian

The all-black Harrier looks fantastic, in my opinion! Hope this one comes in the automatic variant, would be a great ride!
Old 12th August 2019, 16:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
I stumbled upon some more of the leaked spy shots of the all-black Harrier on the Autocar India forums which were not yet posted on Team-BHP.

Source
The all-black Tata Harrier-image.png

Name:  image3.png
Views: 8807
Size:  560.6 KB

The all-black Tata Harrier-image2.png

The all-black Tata Harrier-image4.png
blackwasp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 11:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: All-black Tata Harrier to be called Dark Edition

An all-black Harrier was showcased during Tata Motors' annual general meeting earlier this year. Now, according to a media report, the all-black Harrier is likely to be called Harrier Dark Edition.

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrier-dark-edition.jpg

It has been reported that the Harrier Dark Edition could get 17-inch Blackstone alloy wheels, black front and rear skid plates and grey headlamp inserts. The exterior colour is reportedly called Atlas Black.

On the inside, the Harrier Dark Edition is expected to get a Blackstone dashboard with matte grey inserts instead of faux wood trim. The seats are likely to be wrapped in Benecke-Kaliko Blackstone leather upholstery and get matching door pads with contrast grey stitching. It is also rumoured to get perforated leather wrapped inside door handles.

Under the bonnet, the Harrier Dark Edition is believed to be powered by the same 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine as the regular Harrier. This engine produces 138 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 350 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm and comes paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Source: Autocar India
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 13:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Rumour: All-black Tata Harrier to be called Dark Edition

An all-black Harrier was showcased during Tata Motors' annual general meeting earlier this year. Now, according to a media report, the all-black Harrier is likely to be called Harrier Dark Edition.
Should be called "Darth Vader" edition...

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2019 at 20:25. Reason: Fixing quote
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 13:33   #40
BHPian

Any news on the autobox on the harrier? I hear it wont be launched/announced this year. The all black looks good, however I would prefer all matte black
Old 30th August 2019, 10:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata Harrier Dark Edition price leaked

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The upcoming Tata Harrier Dark Edition is likely to be priced at Rs. 16,75,755. The pricing is the same as the XZ Dual Tone variant.

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrierblack3.jpg

The Harrier Dark Edition is based on the top-spec XZ trim. It is expected to come with an Atlas Black exterior finish with 17-inch Blackstone alloy wheels, black front and rear skid plates and grey headlamp inserts. The SUV could get black interiors with matte grey inserts on the dashboard, while the seats are expected to be wrapped in Benecke-Kaliko Blackstone leather upholstery with grey stitching. It could get matching door panels with perforated leather wrapped interior door handles.

Harrier Dark Edition is expected to be powered by the same 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine as the regular Harrier. This engine produces 138 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 350 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm and comes paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th August 2019 at 10:44.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 17:29   #42
BHPian

Here are the details I received from a Tata Dealer today about the All Black Harrier Edition:

Changes in Exteriors:
1. New Colour Atlas Black
2. R17 Blackstone Alloys
3. Special #Dark Badge
4. Atlas Black Door Handles
5. Grey Headlamp Bezel
6. Blackstone Front & Rear Skid Plates

Changes in Interiors:
1. Blackstone Matrix Dashboard
2. Premium Benecke-Kaliko Blackstone Leather Seats & Door Pad Inserts
3. Contrast Grey Stitching
4. Perforated Blackstone Leather Handles for console and door pad

Looks amazing to me. Sadly people would nevertheless prefer the Chinese Hector over it
Attached Thumbnails
The all-black Tata Harrier-harrier-change-points-1.jpg  

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrier-change-points-2.jpg  

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrier-change-points-3.jpg  

Accelerati is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 18:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Harrier Dark Edition launched at Rs 16.76 lakh ( ex- Delhi)

Dark Edition gets all-black exterior and interior, with darkened trim bits; available in the top-spec XZ variant only

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th August 2019 at 18:58.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 19:11   #44
BHPian

Launch the automatic already ! This is getting frustrating now.
Old 30th August 2019, 21:30   #45
BHPian

I would have bought the first one here in my town if only the engine wasn't underpowered, at least the 170hp would have been fine. Would be sexy replacement for my black beaut Santa Fe (1st gen).
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks