Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue to get 1.5L diesel engine option

Mod Note: Our Venue Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Hyundai to phase out its 1.4 and 1.6 diesel engines by April 2020.

Venue will get the 1.5L Diesel and likley to be launched in early 2020.

Quote:
The 1.5-litre diesel motor will be BS6-compliant and available in two guises – either with or without a variable geometry turbo (VGT). The 1.5-litre VGT will put out 115hp and 250Nm of torque while the standard 1.5-litre engine is expected to put out around 90hp and 220Nm of torque. Essentially, the 1.5 without VGT replaces the 1.4-litre engine while the 1.5 with VGT will replace the 1.6-litre motor in Hyundai’s diesel engine line-up
Link

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2019 at 11:34. Reason: Link to review
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai to phase out its 1.4 and 1.6 diesel engines by April 2020.

Venue will get the 1.5L Diesel and likley to be launched in early 2020.

Link
Wow.

Hyundai is actually taking a game to higher level with more clarity for its line up unlike Maruti. I wonder why is Maruti not offering the 1.5L (1498cc) diesel engine in Brezza and S-Cross sooner . Since it's 2cc less than 1500, it'll get tax benefits in Brezza. Infact they can even give the 1.5 with a VGT in Brezza or atleast in S-Cross. S-Cross deserves a better tune up. The current 1.5L is with FGT only.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 22nd August 2019 at 08:10.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I wonder why is Maruti not offering the 1.5L (1498cc) diesel engine in Brezza and S-Cross sooner . Since it's 2cc less than 1500, it'll get tax benefits in Brezza. Infact they can even give the 1.5 with a VGT in Brezza or atleast in S-Cross.
That's because they goofed up big time with respect to BS 6 diesel engine development. As usual, they were in two minds as to whether they should be upgrading their diesel engine to BS 6 norms or to do away with it all together. They took eons to decide. Now they are way behind schedule. It may be launched some time in 2021 with BS 6 compliance.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 16:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Venue to get 1.5L diesel engine option

Hyundai Venue to get 1.5L diesel engine option - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 28th August 2019, 19:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Hyundai Venue to get 1.5L diesel engine option - Posts moved to a new thread.

Would've been nice if the link to THAT new thread was here !!
Old 28th August 2019, 19:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Would've been nice if the link to THAT new thread was here !!
Well, I guess this is THE NEW THREAD.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its a natural progression for Hyundai to share parts with KIA.
The new BS6 Kia engine finding its way onto the Hyundai is not a surprise!!
Old 28th August 2019, 22:11   #8
BHPian

Wait, so the 1.4 litre offering in the venue now isn't BS6? Also, even with the new engine, the power figures are pretty much the same.

Venue diesel with the VGT pumping out 115 HP/250nm would have made a great car for diesel lovers like me.
Old 28th August 2019, 22:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'm assuming the lower variants of the Hyundai Venue Diesel will be sold with an FGT.

Higher displacement, lower compression ratio will help with a longer engine life with low sulphur (lubricant) BS-VI Diesel.

By then they should even have sorted the initial rush. That said, hope Hyundai doesn't get even further optimistic on the pricing beyond this.
Old 28th August 2019, 23:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I wonder why is Maruti not offering the 1.5L (1498cc) diesel engine in Brezza and S-Cross sooner . Since it's 2cc less than 1500, it'll get tax benefits in Brezza. Infact they can even give the 1.5 with a VGT in Brezza or atleast in S-Cross. S-Cross deserves a better tune up. The current 1.5L is with FGT only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
That's because they goofed up big time with respect to BS 6 diesel engine development. As usual, they were in two minds as to whether they should be upgrading their diesel engine to BS 6 norms or to do away with it all together. They took eons to decide. Now they are way behind schedule. It may be launched some time in 2021 with BS 6 compliance.
Maruti goofed up with not only 1.5L Diesel BS 6, but also the smaller 1.3L Diesel. It didn't even plan for smaller diesels after Fiat backed out from upgrading it to BS 6.

Cross posting myself from Grand i10 Nios thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
This strategy is now coming to bite back Maruti in colossal way. The wise Chairman sounded death knell for small diesel engines because they couldn't upgrade / develop BS-VI compliant small diesels.

Lo-behold, Hyundai sprung up surprise by announcing BS-VI ready small diesels; which will upgraded (for new sales) once the regulation deadline comes close. Also, it gave fair indications that the price hike would be marginal compared to what Maruti bigshots were projecting (fear mongering ??).

So, suddenly, Hyundai finds all small diesel customers offered to it on a platter by poor planning/ forecasting by Maruti. Even though the overall small diesel customers are bound to reduce in BS-VI era, but still the number would be more that what Hyundai alone has catered in BS-IV times.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 02:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai might come late to the part, but they know how to come with a bang. Even with the new diesel, expect Maruti to be sales leader for a few more months. For many Indians, Car = Maruti. The # of enthusiasts in TBHP represent a very small fraction of the marketplace.

Looks like the Indian market is maturing and slowly moving away from economy focused cars - proved by the fact that compact SUVs are being pushed to innovate. Powerful diesels, turbo petrols and automatic options are differentiating them from the premium hatchbacks. Ecosport, Nexon, XUV 300 and the Venue are taking the game to a new level. MSIL better launch the boosterjet powered version of the Vitara soon.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 05:30   #12
BHPian

I am pretty sure that cars like i20 and Venue will get the FGT while the cars above will get the VGT. Else Hyundai has little differentiation when it comes to the Diesel offerings. (Like how Maruti did with the 75HP and 90HP versions of the same 1.3MJD)

Also, I think unless Hyundai comes will newer Diesels of higher capacity which are also BS6 compliant, they will lose out on the segments higher than the Creta.

Not sure of the current Diesel offered in the Tuscon and above are BS6 compliant. Also the current gen-Elantra has the same 1.6 that the Creta does, however for that segment of car, this engine looks inadequate.

So 1.5D (FGT) till Venue, 1.5 (VGT) for Creta, Seltos, Verna. Anything above needs a new higher displacement diesel. Not sure what cars like i10 Grand will offer in their Diesel guises.

Last edited by racer_ash : 29th August 2019 at 05:32.
Old 29th August 2019, 10:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
So 1.5D (FGT) till Venue, 1.5 (VGT) for Creta, Seltos, Verna. Anything above needs a new higher displacement diesel.

Yes this pretty much certainly looks like what Hyundai is going ahead with. There have been indications on these lines already in media also.
However - please note that the 1.5D with VGT in the Seltos has peak torque figure that is LESS than the current NEXON D which is a subcompact SUV. And yes even lesser than the XUV300 D!

With an FGT, the power and torque numbers will go even lower and just about the 1.4 CRDi territory or thereabouts.

And the Venue isn't exactly a typical Korean light weight car. It is quite heavy. Hyundai better bring a new generation of this engine soon to get good looking specifications on paper.

Quote:
Not sure what cars like i10 Grand will offer in their Diesel guises.
Yes Hyundai clearly said that they'll be making their 1.2CRDI BSVI compliant in the i10, Xcent. (This must have rattled MarutiSuzuki's foundations.)
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I think unless Hyundai comes will newer Diesels of higher capacity which are also BS6 compliant, they will lose out on the segments higher than the Creta.

Not sure of the current Diesel offered in the Tuscon and above are BS6 compliant. Also the current gen-Elantra has the same 1.6 that the Creta does, however for that segment of car, this engine looks inadequate.
Hyundai Kia do have 2.0L Diesel & Petrol Euro 6 version in Europe market, so if they want they can bring those engines comparatively easily (after adjusting for Indian market conditions). Its just about their product planning; unlike Maruti who is plagued technically.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 13:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
That's because they goofed up big time with respect to BS 6 diesel engine development.
I doubt whether Suzuki would be that complacent about it's prime market.

''Maruti Suzuki is still assessing the 10-year lifecycle costs of the 1.5-litre diesel engine, and complicating matters are two hurdles that’ll drive the 1.5 diesel’s costs further up – meeting the upcoming BS-VI norms, and the super-stringent Real Driving Emissions (RDE) regulation that is expected to come into effect by 2023''

Source

Renault have their 1.5 k9k Euro 6 ready, yet they announced no diesels from 2020.

Ford, Toyota and Honda had confirmed that they are ready for BS6; yet all are tight lipped about the % hike.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks