Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti to offer CNG option on all small cars

According to a media report, all Maruti small cars could get CNG option. It is aimed at reducing the dependence on imported oil. Widespread use of CNG is also said to help reduce vehicular pollution.

Maruti to offer CNG option on all small cars-poolsideblue_720x540.jpg

It has been reported that CNG-powered cars account for 7% of Maruti's overall sales. The carmaker sold 31,000 CNG vehicles in the first 4 months of this fiscal year. Production of CNG vehicles has also gone up by 40% in the last fiscal and is in the process of raising it by another 50% in 2019.

The government of India is also promoting the use of CNG. It plans to set up 10,000 CNG stations in the next 10 years. It is estimated that the use of CNG could help save Rs. 2 lakh crore in oil imports.

At present, models like the Alto, Alto K10, WagonR, Celerio, Dzire Tour S, Eeco and Super Carry get a CNG option.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to offer CNG option on all small cars

This is a superb move. Giving up on Diesel share needed something like this for Maruti to salvage any lost parts of market share. I guess they were actually waiting for this moment to come with this decision. I hope all auto makers follow this soon. CNG makes perfect sense for regular usage especially for larger cars (B2 and above) which have sufficient space to hold the CNG tank + some storage space left. Surely usage of CNG is greener than petrol/diesel. Even if by a small margin - that goes a long way when we talk of cars in hundreds of thousands.

I hope the government and oil companies use this as a wake up call to focus more on setting up CNG infrastructure. Its easier as a short term goal compared to electrification (especially since we are a long way away from having uninterrupted electric supply in homes even in metro cities!). People will buy CNG cars as soon as vending stations are available sufficiently & lines are smaller.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd September 2019 at 13:55.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 14:36   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, all Maruti small cars could get CNG option. It is aimed at reducing the dependence on imported oil. Widespread use of CNG is also said to help reduce vehicular pollution.
That's just PR speak. Maruti is rolling out CNG in all its small cars as it won't have a small diesel to fight Hyundai's diesel hatchbacks. Because of CNG's current price of over Rs 50 / kilo, limited availability, time taken to fill up, blunted performance & compromise in boot space, I think CNG's best days among private cars are already behind us. The next big change we will see is EVs.

It is however confirmed that Maruti is working on a BS6 version of its 1.5L Diesel. I would frankly not rule out a detuned version of that for the Swift & Dzire. After all, there are other sub-4 meter cars (e.g. Amaze, Figo) with 1.5L diesels.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It is however confirmed that Maruti is working on a BS6 version of its 1.5L Diesel. I would frankly not rule out a detuned version of that for the Swift & Dzire. After all, there are other sub-4 meter cars (e.g. Amaze, Figo) with 1.5L diesels.
Frankly, this is what i feel as well. I am not too sure about Swift but i see Dzire getting a detuned version of the 1.5 engine as the diesel to petrol mix for the model is nearly 50-50. This makes a case in itself.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 21:37   #5
BHPian

Does anyone here think that they will also plonk cng in AMT versions?

Also I was just thinking that NAT GAS comapnies can also install domestic car CNG refuel adaptors when they give kitchen connections. These will obviously have seperate meter and billing!

Anyone here think what can be the possible issues with that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks