Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 10:02   #1
BHPian

Government won't ban petrol, diesel vehicles: Nitin Gadkari

Good news for ICE enthusiasts, while hybrids might also get GST benefits soon. Hope the benefit is passed on to actual hybrid not marketing gimmicks from Maruti and Mahindra.
Well my next car will be either a hybrid or fully electric, economical as well as environment friendly.

Quote:
Petrol and diesel-powered vehicles will not be banned in the country, the government clarified on Thursday as the automobile industry is at a crossroads with the internal combustion engine (ICE) and rapid transition to electric vehicles.

Nitin Gadkari, Union minister for road transport and highways, said, "The government has no intentions of banning the production or stopping the existing petrol and diesel-fuelled vehicles. People had apprehensions about buying ICE vehicles and we are not going to take any such step."

Auto industry experts briefed Gadkari about the rise in prices of vehicles due to BSVI compliant engine. "The industry has sought a relaxation of GST on vehicles due to the extra cost incurred for the transition from BSIV to BSVI compliant engine. I would surely convey this to finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman and the government may consider the reduction of GST temporarily."

The minister, however, highlighted three major challenges -- import of crude, pollution and road accident -- the government is currently facing with the automobile sector.
"Firstly, we are aware of how importing crude is impacting the economy. The imports have crossed Rs 7 lakh crore. Pollution is our second big challenge, which is affecting the entire world. The automobile industry is just not the reason behind the pollution. Reducing pollution is of national and social interests. Thirdly, we wanted to address the issue of road accidents. Annually, over five lakh road accidents occur across the country. To ensure greater road safety, we introduced the Motor Vehicles Act 2019," Gadkari said at the 59th annual convention of Siam (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers).

"We are ready to take inputs and suggestions from the stakeholders and finance minister Nirmala Sitharama is constantly trying to solve the problems of a slowdown in the automobile industry. The government has taken steps to ensure greater liquidity in the system," Gadkari added.
Sitharaman announced a slew of measures on August 23 including making auto loans cheaper, lifting the ban on purchase of new vehicles for replacing old government vehicles, deferring of one-time registration fees till June 2020, additional 15% depreciation on all vehicles and operation of BSIV vehicles for their entire period of registration.

Reiterating that the government would help the industry, the road transport and highways minister also said his ministry would give out 68 road projects worth up to Rs 5 lakh crore in the next three months to help generate demand for commercial vehicles.

The minister said, like the way GST on electric vehicles has been reduced to 5 per cent from 12 per cent, he would propose to the finance ministry to extend the same benefit to hybrids vehicles.

"We have reduced GST in electric vehicles. Now I am trying that GST on hybrid vehicles is also reduced. I am following up regarding this with the finance minister," Gadkari said.
Source: https://m.timesofindia.com/business/...w/70990258.cms
roby_dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:30   #2
AWD
BHPian

Re: Government won't ban petrol, diesel vehicles: Nitin Gadkari

From "Bulldoze" to this now! A nation doesn't run like this. Speeches, Policies, Governance have to be well thought out & for the long term. A positive sentiment in the market is all that is required sometimes. Lack of long term vision, lack of experience, over-confidence, bureaucratic think-tank can be huge stumbling blocks.
AWD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 12:28   #3
BANNED

Smaller countries like UK can think of banning Petrol / Diesel cars, but a large country like India can't. Think of a one-way trip from one end of the country to the other end. In UK, you may need to travel 400+ KMs for this trip (which can be covered by a good electric car without re-charging), while in India, you need to cover around 2000+ KMs which needs 4 re-chargings. Will anyone spend that much extra time (4 x 6 hrs) during such a trip?

Hybrids are the only way possible in India. Or, a subscription-based battery swapping system may work.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th February 2020 at 12:43.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 18:02   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Think of a one-way trip from one end of the country to the other end. In UK, you may need to travel 400+ KMs for this trip (which can be covered by a good electric car without re-charging), while in India, you need to cover around 2000+ KMs which needs 4 re-chargings. Will anyone spend that much extra time (4 x 6 hrs) during such a trip?
Hybrids are the only way possible in India. Or, a subscription-based battery swapping system may work.
Extremely flawed arguments. How many of the car owners take more than 500 km journeys a day in a year? Should be less than 10%, at the most. In my 2 decades of car ownership the highest I drove a single day is 640 Kms and the number of times I travelled more than 400 Kms will be easily less than 20 times, almost once a year. I'm yet to meet a car owner who drives more than 200kms daily.

90% can easily manage with EV 95% of times, for the rest there is always a cab, train, flight etc, unless you are so adamant that you will only drive come what may. Your argument reminds me of the time when horse carriages were faced with motor cars, people said those who think motor cars will replace horse carriage are crazy!

Electric cars are gonna be main stream in a decade or so. Progress is like a never ending train, it's your choice whether to get into it or not, the train is going to go forward whether you get in to or not. ( My dad was like that, didn't take progress seriously, now he finds it difficult to use a smart phone or computer and see his children in different continents )
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 20:20   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
90% can easily manage with EV 95% of times...
That is exactly what I am saying - what we will work for the remaining 10% people or the remaining 5% of time?

When I choose a car, I will plan for whatever cases that may come across in my way. If I am sure that the car I consider cannot meet some situations, I will better not buy it.

EVs can be a second car in Indians' garage. Depending on it for the whole needs may be some kind of over-optimism.

Quote:
...for the rest there is always a cab, train, flight etc
You are talking about metros and cities. What about a whole lot of people reside in the villages? Also, once all these cabs are also phased out in favour of EVs, will you keep on changing the cab in a long journey after its battery drains out?

India is a different country compared to the western countries / developed countries. Inducing development from top-to-bottom won't work. The neo politicians who think like that, are living in a fools' paradise. This is proved multiple times in recent years.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th February 2020 at 20:22.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 20:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Extremely flawed arguments.Electric cars are gonna be main stream in a decade or so. Progress is like a never ending train, it's your choice whether to get into it or not, the train is going to go forward whether you get in to or not. ( My dad was like that, didn't take progress seriously, now he finds it difficult to use a smart phone or computer and see his children in different continents )
Petrol cars will be here in India for at least 20-30 more years. One reason other than the charging infrastructure and distance to be driven is the power production in India. India is a country which still don't have sufficient power and power cuts are there in many states. People are yet to realise the pollution going to come from the disposal of the used batteries in large numbers
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 22:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Petrol cars will be here in India for at least 20-30 more years. One reason other than the charging infrastructure and distance to be driven is the power production in India. India is a country which still don't have sufficient power and power cuts are there in many states. People are yet to realise the pollution going to come from the disposal of the used batteries in large numbers
Very well said. Also they do not realise the pollution that comes from power production. India still primarily relies on coal fired power plants. We make less gas based power and even less renewable power. Coal fired power plants are the most polluting.

As you can see in the chart, in China where a good portion of the electricity is made from coal fired plants, EVs are only about 25% cleaner than Gasoline vehicles. In India, even more of the percentage of power production comes from dirty coal fired plants than China. I expect EVs in India are almost as polluting considering full power life cycle emissions than even China. Add to that the pollution from disposing used batteries and we may actually be better off with petrol and Diesel cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Government won't ban petrol, diesel vehicles: Nitin Gadkari-789ae107379b4e799df67a8321fab6e2.png  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th February 2020 at 22:18.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks