Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Potential of 2-seater cars in India

Car is considered more of utility than luxury in India. 2 seater cars are tilted more towards luxury,sports, enthusiasts category. This reflects in the prices of models of 2 seaters in comparison to 4 seater.
Indian market is yet to evolve unlike European. Even though some of us know the benefits, fun and use of small 2 seaters but when it comes to actually buying the same a lot of other factors like family influence,space,value for money and on top of that what friends, relatives and other people will say, come into picture.
Eg. Swift top model is better than Ciaz or Dezire base model if the primary purpose is city use. But we always end up buying big car.
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:17   #17
RMN
BHPian

I agree with most of the points here. Not only it doesn't have a market, it doesn't have enough advantages even. An affordable 2 seater will have to meet the following 2 requirements:

1. Be smaller than an Alto or a Nano
2. Be more fuel efficient than an Alto or a Nano
3. Be more affordable than an Alto or a Nano

If not, then people might as well buy an Alto or a Nano!
Old 22nd September 2019, 15:55   #18
BHPian

Just thinking out loud here. Like many here have already stated, it's hard to sell 2 seaters in India because the act of buying a car is still more of a social celebration rather than of pure utility. I feel they would sell in decent numbers only if the product will bring about a value and status proposition than just pure utility (I'm looking at you Nano, although a brilliant piece of engineering, targetted at the wrong segment I feel). What if one were to come up with a futuristic 2 seater closed cab personal transportation solution, not much more expensive than most entry "premium" segment motorcycles on offer today? It should have brilliant driver engagement and of course safety. And to be able to save our planet rather than destroy it, it should ideally be hybrid or electric.

Looking for opinions on this guys, let me know what you guys think.
Old 22nd September 2019, 21:48   #19
BHPian

It is not going to work in India. The Scooter and Bike is the answer to that. Movies like Swades and Three Idiots have etched that two wheels = to Three + seats. look at the images attached. They show the truth about India. and That has been moved forward to the cities. (Images respected to Google and their respective owners). How do you change the mentality.

Cars in India have ijjat!. The Nano wanted to change this but it failed. The mindset is not yet ripe to accept two seat cars. May be things are changing but I am yet to feel it.
Attached Thumbnails
Potential of 2-seater cars in India-hqdefault-1.jpg  

Potential of 2-seater cars in India-maxresdefault.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2019, 23:25   #20
BHPian

Ameo DSG. Perfect 2 seater affordable diesel automatic car. Anyhow the rear is so cramped that it feels like the front passengers are punishing them by making them sit behind

It shall be a good frugal daily commuter as well as slot the S mode and turn out to be a good enthusiasts' car.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 22nd September 2019 at 23:36.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 23:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

If the idea is to replace two-wheelers like motor cycles and scooters two-seater cars, it needs to have a significantly smaller footprint than the two-seater cars of today. Otherwise they are simply not practical.

Think of something like a Renault Twizy. They are the future. May be not immediately, but once autonomous cars hit the road, these will replace the traditional two-wheelers of today.

Potential of 2-seater cars in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1569175377.408076.jpg
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:17   #22
BHPian

Guys, Why are we assuming that 2 seater only means compact, utility or crazy looking cars?. Technically, BMW Z3 is also 2 seater .

I am going to go with the consensus here, car ownership is still low in our country. Middle class families don't think in terms of having 2 cars, one for work and one for family. Although, i must admit i am a fan of small two seater cars purely for work related use.
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd buy one. But it has to be at least as cheap and as safe/loaded as the equivalent 4-seat model, if not cheaper. I'd love a smaller car. A smaller, 2-seat version of the 2018-model Maruti Swift would get my vote (our current car and since the day we bought it over a year ago, we've had passengers in the rear seat a grand total of maybe 5 times!). But yeah, there is really no market. No one else in my friends circle would even look at a 2-seater. They're all currently on their 2nd child! And moving on to SUVs.

Last edited by am1m : 23rd September 2019 at 17:06.
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

With the Nano biting the dust; no one will be in a ''tearing hurry" to try this out. If Nano had succeeded then others would have gotten in the fray to try something smaller and new. But Tata is well placed with the Nano to try this out on the same platform. With the market in the dumps, this 'concept' may not see the light of day anytime soon. Best would be a 'Nano footprint All Electric 2 seater Car'
Old 24th September 2019, 15:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would buy a nice 2 seater car for the city. Something like the Smart car. A nice to drive small engine, comfortable seating for two and a boot capable of carrying luggage for a weekend trip, automatic gearbox and I'm happy for 95% of my driving needs.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:27   #26
BHPian

I feel, the two seater cars never got the relevant treatment, ever, in India. We always felt, small meant cheap. Nano was supposed to be a cheap car, and not a small two seater.
The Reva would have been a hit, was it any cheaper.

My father in law, in Mysore, broke his arm, and since has given up riding a two wheeler. He now has to drive the dzire, which he finds it hard to even take out of his garage. How, a smart, would have helped his case. He was planning to but a brio, but that's stopped too. Qute is not an option, because, they don't want a cheap car.

My neighbor, in Bengaluru, swears by his Reva. He originally held a prototype Reva, from his Mahindra days, and now, he replaced it with the new one. The couple take it out for everything. They say, it is safer in Bangalore, in a Reva, than them riding a two wheeler.

Small towns are filled with such old retires people, who need small two seaters.

This was just one such case. Across various age groups and various economic categories, small two seaters can be moderatly successful. With the mini SUV segment getting crowded, newer segments can be more profitable.

Imagine the San Storm, a smart, and a small hot hatch, like the mini, and even our beloved zen. Bring them all on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks