Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 08:14   #1
BHPian

Another 3 years: Ferrari on its way to India

Link
Another 3 years: Ferrari on its way to India-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Story Courtesy Economic times

For the first time in 11 years, Ferrari will go to the Formula 1 without champion Michael Schumacher, who retired from competition last year. When asked about the subsequent pressures, Mr Montezemolo said, “We have a brand new team with Kimi Raikkonen from Finland and Felipe Massa from Brazil. I think we will be competitive and try to win the championship this year.”

Brand Ferrari, he pointed out is not just a car but “a mixture of passion, design and extreme technology.” There are Ferrari merchandising shops in Las Vegas, Shanghai, Milan and Rome, besides a theme park in Abu Dhabi. A similar one could come to India in the next two to three years, he said.

According to him, Ferrari performs three functions today as a brand - one, to make exclusive passenger cars “because a Ferrari is like a good-looking woman and you have to ‘desire’ a Ferrari.” Two, racing with a record-breaking team in the history of Formula 1. The third function revolves around lifestyle activities. As far as Maserati is concerned, he said it was doing well all over the world as a competitor to the BMW 7-series and Mercedes. “We’ll perhaps get it to India in the next two years”. However, when asked about providing tech support for the much-touted Rs 1 lakh car or even picking up a stake in Tata, Mr Montezemolo maintained a cryptic “You’ll know in good time” line.

Gung-ho about Fiat’s tie-up with Tatas two years back, Mr Montezemomlo held that he would shortly be meeting Ratan Tata along with Fiat CEO Sergio Marchhione, to discuss the road ahead for extending the distribution network and even probably discuss the launch of other Fiat models in India. “Ratan Tata sits on the Fiat board and we firmly believe our relationship has enough room to become even bigger,” he said.

“Ever since he became the president of Fiat and the Confindustria in June 2004, he’s put India at the centre of international activities at the Confindustria. “I’ve got three main goals for my visit. First, to facilitate a lot of face-to-face meetings because India is very similar to Italy in terms of small and medium-scale companies. Second, with our Confindustria’s university at Rome called Loiss, one of the most important private universities in Europe, we would like a face-to-face with industry people. For this, we have decided on very strong specific sectors like food processing, leather processing, mechanical machines, design and textiles, infrastructure and tourism. The third goal is to take forward the CEO Forum, where Ratan Tata and I have created an Indo-Italian forum, with the first meeting in India and the second meeting in Italy,” he elaborated.
Old 14th February 2007, 09:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

3 years to enter India, by then every person who could afford a Ferrari will have a Lambo in his stable.
Old 14th February 2007, 09:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I thought Ferrari had already entered India through the likes of nincompoops like National Garage. Remember the quad-turbo Octavia thread?

Have they even sold one? I remember their crappy 300 rupee ads in the back of the Bombay Times.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:08   #4
BHPian

Fiat Chief's interview

Read this article in ECO times. Interesting redaing. I read today in HT that Punto, Linea will come in 2008 and First car rolled out from Ranjangaon yesterday. The HT article said that existing models will be withdrawn gradually. So Palio may not get JTD 1.3 ?

Another 3 years: Ferrari on its way to India-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 14th February 2007, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Read this article or a variant thereof in print medium. What was most interesting were the two Alfa's in the photograph. There was another article on the Linea in today's HT Cafe. It was gung ho on its prospects. But 2008? The competition will be miles ahead.

With regards to Fiat plans, they seem to be moving atleast. It would be great if the product portfolio is managed by Tata. Fiat does make exciting cars and it is kind of sad that they are going slow on rolling out the new models. Ideally they should have incorporated the machinery and plant setup for the new models while moving to Ranjangaon itself.

Will the Palio come with the JTD? I guess not. I think the move is towards the premium category so that there is no clash with Tata products - which, with all due respect, lack the finesses and finish of the Fiat ones. Good move. And maybe better late than never.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ratan Tata has another 5 years. Maybe they should move faster with any discussion. The successor may not be that sweet on Fiat.
Old 14th February 2007, 12:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
The HT article said that existing models will be withdrawn gradually. So Palio may not get JTD 1.3 ?
Withdrawal of Palio and its derivatives from India, if true, is sad indeed though it's probably good from the point of view of the Tata-FIAT collaboration. The collaborators must complement, not compete with one another. Let's also hope Tata improves the quality and reliability of its cars to the level of Palio and its siblings.
Old 14th February 2007, 12:48   #8
BHPian

I don't think Palio would be phased out for atleast 2 years. Anyways old models have to give way to new one's. This would definately be beneficial to Indian consumers .
Old 14th February 2007, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I don't think Palio would be phased out for atleast 2 years. Anyways old models have to give way to new one's. This would definately be beneficial to Indian consumers .
It's the phasing out of Palio platform altogether that's going to be disappointing for its fans. They wouldn't mind if an earlier model Palio is replaced by a later model Palio. Already, Palio Mark 4 is out abroad.
Old 15th February 2007, 17:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bravo to come to India?

Did I read this right?

Quote:
the Ferrari honcho talked at length about his plans to introduce Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Fiat’s Grand Punto and Bravo.
The Bravo? I am not going to believe that till I actually see the bloody car here!

Indiatimes.
Old 15th February 2007, 23:01   #11
BHPian

Today, I saw a ticker in NDTV profit that says, FERRARI will be in India within 5 years and Alfa Romeo in 2 years..
Old 15th February 2007, 23:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The Bravo? I am not going to believe that till I actually see the bloody car here!
Yes, it is unbelievable news, but if Fiat Chairman is saying that Bravo will be launched in India, then it may very much happen!

And I will be one of the first buyers!
Old 15th February 2007, 23:24   #13
BHPian

the bravo would be a disaster. the indian market isnt ready for a 10lac hatch. the civic and skoda would just eat it alive.
the indian car industry has matured but it still has a veryyy long way to go. Fiat, if again, repeats its earlier mistakes, then i see another 2000 crore ruined.
Old 16th February 2007, 00:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

If the Bravo is priced at 10 lakhs then I doubt whether they would be able to sell even a single car?

The Linea if rightly priced as per the speculation will be a sure hit if marketed by Tata.
Old 16th February 2007, 00:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

If the Bravo is anything above 6lakhs the only words I have for Fiat are "Chevrolet SR-V"!!! Let's hope they learn a lesson from GM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks