Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 13:43   #1
BANNED

Gujarat to soon allow driving tests in automatic cars

Owners of cars with automatic transmission can soon have some relief. The Gujarat government is set to make provisions to allow driving tests in such cars. Until now an applicant had to take driving test in a car with manual transmission. Along with automatic cars, an applicant can also use reverse cameras during driving test which was not allowed until now.

According to officials of the transport department, a notification will soon be issued to all the RTOs across Gujarat regarding the implementation of the order.

Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Gujarat to soon allow driving tests in automatic cars

Will this mean that if you take a test on an automatic car, your license will allow you to drive only automatic cars? I ask this because here in Estonia, if you learn on and take your driving exam on an Automatic, your license will allow you to drive only Automatics. If you take the test on a manual, your license will allow you to drive both manuals and automatics.
iceman7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 17:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, there's nothing wrong is allowing to take a test in an Auto car, as long as you drive only an Automatic.

That said, the country's current state of affairs i.e. absolute ignorance of traffic laws is as a result of shoddy driving tests and shockingly casual corruption in the department. I hope they implement moves to tighten it.
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:40   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A progressive move by Gujarat . Wholeheartedly agree as automatics are now available at every price point (including the humble Alto), and they're consistently gaining in popularity.

Another advantage = this will make things easier for 1st-time car owners cum drivers. Could have a positive effect on sales. God knows, we need to do everything we can to bring millennials & generation Z into the damn driver's seat!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome move as many people struggle to learn how to use a manual gearbox properly.

I am not so sure about allowing the reversing camera help. I think it is fundamental to be able to reverse your car or drive forward or park without the help of any additional gadget. You can use them in your daily life but from a pure test point of view, you should be able to do all these without any help.
Old 22nd September 2019, 22:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

I do hope, those who give their tests on a car with automatic transmission, if they pass, are issued a license to drive cars with automatic transmission ONLY and not automatic + manual.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks