Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2019, 04:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Baleno RS ex-showroom price slashed by Rs 1 lakh!

The link for the 1.5L discount, offered from Dealers, not Maruti.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...leno-rs-414291
Old 29th September 2019, 09:42   #32
BHPian

Sports/hot hatches are not just about the engine. Suzuki never gave the Baleno RS a great gearbox or handling package to make it superior to the likes of Polo 1.2+DSG. So, they can't complaint that it has not been successful.

Discontinuing the 1.0 boosterjet will be a mistake. Lack of investment in turbo petrols has hurt companies like Honda and Suzuki in other markets as well, as Hyundai and Mazda have improved both performance and fuel efficiency. Direct injected turbo petrol engines are crucial for improved fuel efficiency fleet norms coming soon to India, especially with diesel costs rising under BS6.

In about 3 years, petrol engines will also come under pressure from electric cars because of their superior performance and lower cost of running and maintenance.

Suzuki risks falling behind like Honda for the remaining 7-10 years of petrol cars as a mass market product.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 10:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

So, the news report indicates the end for the RS. Hope Hyundai launch the i20 with the 1.0 GDi in the next gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I agree with GTO that such models are more for the image upliftment and not merely volumes....
I think MSIL are not worried about brand building and moving upmarket now as they have Toyota to help them with R&D. The Baleno and Ciaz were late to the party in which the i20 and Honda City were having a free run, but the Suzuki equivalent of Corolla (if ever there is one) will just be a straight lift from Toyota.

Hope the 2 brands don't start "bodge" engineering like Renault-Nissan. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ng-primer.html (Badge Engineering or Bodge Engineering - A Primer)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 29th September 2019 at 10:06.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 13:58   #34
BHPian

Got a proforma of 9 lakhs on road (Mumbai) for a 2019 MS Baleno RS. Does it make sense to buy one now? We were considering the Jazz VX MT which will cost us nearly 10 lakhs.

To keep the car for 10 years with a probability that Baleno RS may be discontinued soon does not sound wise. Still it being a Maruti, it has exceptions to commonly applied logic to other brands.
Old 30th September 2019, 16:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
To keep the car for 10 years with a probability that Baleno RS may be discontinued soon does not sound wise. Still it being a Maruti, it has exceptions to commonly applied logic to other brands.
If I were you, I would go for it. Why ??

- Being a Maruti, Spares will not be a problem even though it's a niche model
- For 9 Lakhs OTR, it's a steal
- After 10 years, you will own a very rare model from Maruti
- I see you have owned cars like Figo TDCI Sports, Vento TSI. Frankly Jazz will make you feel want for more power !

Last edited by Sk8r : 30th September 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Additional point added
Sk8r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 16:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Got a proforma of 9 lakhs on road (Mumbai) for a 2019 MS Baleno RS. Does it make sense to buy one now? We were considering the Jazz VX MT which will cost us nearly 10 lakhs.

The ground reality you'll face:

1. Spares supply specific to RS will remain for a long time, even longer than what 1.2 Baleno would see. Reason: Most of them are imported Japanese stuff. In order to cater to the entire world's market, you'll easily get the spares. The reality is, MGP spares get discontinued much earlier compared to SGP spares.

2. Availability: Don't expect ready stock of RS spares with dealers. However you'll get everything upon order within a week.

3. Cost of maintenance: The RS isn't cheap to maintain, if you wish to maintain the way Maruti recommends it to. The spares are much more expensive due to Japanese origin.

There is nothing much you need to worry about. Take a decision accordingly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 16:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing much you need to worry about. Take a decision accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
If I were you, I would go for it.

Thanks Sashi and Sk8r. But this is for my extended family and they need a stress & hassle free ownership for a period of no less than 10 years.

Whatever been written by you both is true, however the spares may only become expensive with time. Being a Jap product supported by an Indian giant instills confidence. Will definitely pass on the remarks to my Brother in law and see what they think of it.
Old 30th September 2019, 23:49   #38
BHPian

So I did some research over the weekend and found that 1L boosterjet is sold in the UK and Mexico among other markets, mated to the Swift. In fact, Doug Demuro's review of the mexican Swift is what inspired the research. I have a feeling that this engine is going to continue in Suzuki's European line-up as it gives the company a chance to have a direct rival to the 1L Ecoboost equipped Fiesta, which is well loved in Europe. But the point is if the engine is already sold in the UK (already at Euro VI) , my guess is it won't be very hard to make it BS-VI ready for India.

So that can't be the motivation for the sudden price drop for the Baleno RS. Then the next best contender is overoptimistic demand estimation and inventory allocation, followed by UK-like consolidation to focus on successful models.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 00:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
So I did some research over the weekend and found that 1L boosterjet is sold in the UK and Mexico among other markets, mated to the Swift. In fact, Doug Demuro's review of the mexican Swift is what inspired the research. I have a feeling that this engine is going to continue in Suzuki's European line-up as it gives the company a chance to have a direct rival to the 1L Ecoboost equipped Fiesta, which is well loved in Europe. But the point is if the engine is already sold in the UK (already at Euro VI) , my guess is it won't be very hard to make it BS-VI ready for India.

So that can't be the motivation for the sudden price drop for the Baleno RS. Then the next best contender is overoptimistic demand estimation and inventory allocation, followed by UK-like consolidation to focus on successful models.
Isn't the Mexican Swift LHD? Also AFAIK, Maruti used to export Baleno RHD with boosterjet to UK, the Swift with boosterjet isn't exported from India. I guess the engine would continue to be sold in other Markets, but Maruti would cut any kind of association with this engine for domestic market or export after the model was discontinued in UK. What remains to be seen is what happens to the Japanese Baleno with this engine.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 1st October 2019 at 00:18.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the Mexican Swift LHD?
Yes it is. And considering the test car's voice assist had English (India) as a language option I am inclined to believe it is made in india as well.

Link to the video..

Quote:
Also AFAIK, Maruti used to export Baleno RHD with boosterjet to UK, the Swift with boosterjet isn't exported from India.
Japan then? But that sounds counterintuitive. Swift 1L boosterjet is very much in the line-up though. The Swift sport features the bigger 1.4L boosterjet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks