Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Bolero Power+ special edition launched

Mahindra has launched a special edition of the Bolero Power+ with prices starting at Rs. 7.86 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Mahindra Bolero Power+ special edition launched-bolero-special-edition.jpg

The Bolero Power+ comes with Special Edition decals, seat covers, carpet mats, scuff plate set, steering wheel cover, fog lamps and spoiler with stop lamp. It also comes equipped with safety features such as ABS and airbag.

The Bolero Power+ is powered by a 1.5-litre diesel engine that produces 70 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 195 Nm @ 1,400-2,200 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 19:25   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Bolero Power+ special edition launched

All of the special editions should be clubbed together under the Weird and Whacky section. A Power + addition with no + to the power - how ironic. The safety features are a huge welcome to the Bolero - but the "Power +" tag sounds very tacky.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 19:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
All of the special editions should be clubbed together under the Weird and Whacky section. A Power + addition with no + to the power - how ironic. The safety features are a huge welcome to the Bolero - but the "Power +" tag sounds very tacky.
The Bolero power plus indeed has more power than the standard Bolero. 63hp vs 71hp. And I am wondering how on earth has Mahindra made this dinosaur confirm to the new pedestrian protection norms without any visible change in the front structure?

And if Mahindra can make this SUV comply with the upcoming crash norms then either the norms are a joke or Mahindra has a genius team of chassis engineers.
ram87pune is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 21:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think "Power Plus" tag is appropriate for 70 BHP. I drive an 84 BHP TUV300 and just months after launch they had to tune TUV300 engine to 100 BHP.
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 21:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
The Bolero power plus indeed has more power than the standard Bolero. 63hp vs 71hp. And I am wondering how on earth has Mahindra made this dinosaur confirm to the new pedestrian protection norms without any visible change in the front structure?

And if Mahindra can make this SUV comply with the upcoming crash norms then either the norms are a joke or Mahindra has a genius team of chassis engineers.
If I remember correctly, driver side airbag was made mandatory back in April 2019, however TATA still sells the lower variants of the safari storme without frontal airbags. Similarly, the so called crash test norms were to be implemented from the 1st of this month, but we still see the Maruti eeco, bolero etc. selling without any changes. It seems these Norms are not being taken seriously by the manufacturers or maybe the implementation is improper.
Old 9th October 2019, 22:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
If I remember correctly, driver side airbag was made mandatory back in April 2019, however TATA still sells the lower variants of the safari storme without frontal airbags. Similarly, the so called crash test norms were to be implemented from the 1st of this month, but we still see the Maruti eeco, bolero etc. selling without any changes. It seems these Norms are not being taken seriously by the manufacturers or maybe the implementation is improper.
IIRC the crash test norms are going to be implemented from 1st April 2020 and only pedestrian protection norms from 1st October. Experts may chip in. And I think only the LX variant of the Storme doesn't come with any airbag so maybe Tata is only selling the EX and VX variants till April 2020 after which it will be discontinued.

And even thinking that the manufacturers will flout these norms by not taking them seriously is quite laughable IMO.
ram87pune is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 23:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
IIRC the crash test norms are going to be implemented from 1st April 2020 and only pedestrian protection norms from 1st October. Experts may chip in. And I think only the LX variant of the Storme doesn't come with any airbag so maybe Tata is only selling the EX and VX variants till April 2020 after which it will be discontinued.

And even thinking that the manufacturers will flout these norms by not taking them seriously is quite laughable IMO.
1.The norms kicking in from April 2019 were for mandatory airbag, ABS, seatbelt warning etc. This information is on this forum itself.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/april-...afety-features

2.Also, please find attached the latest brochure of the safari storme which I downloaded 5 minutes ago. It clearly mentions that the EX and LX variants lack airbags.

3. The norms that were supposed to come in from 1st of October 2019 were for frontal offset, side impact and full frontal crash tests at 56 Kmph. However, the new bolero does not seem to have been structurally updated at all.

Sorry for the slightly off topic post, but I could not find a reasonable explanation for the apparent non-compliance of certain cars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safari_Storme_Muscled_for_More_Brochure.pdf (1.28 MB, 1518 views)
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This "power special edition" is nothing but an attempt at stock clearance. Cars are piling up at factories.

Call me crazy, but I love the boxy looks of the Bolero. Spotted tons of them on a recent drive to Nashik. In rural & semi-urban India, the car has a massive following.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 10:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Call me crazy, but I love the boxy looks of the Bolero.
GTO, I know you love boxy beasts. You've recommended the Sumo Grande Mk II and the TUV 300 Plus to forum members in assorted posts over the past few months.

I noted your recommendations because these boxy beasts are loved by me as well. Every old Grande, Bolero, Safari or TUV on the road (including my own TUV) draws my attention like nothing else does
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 10:58   #10
BHPian

Considering this is a bread and butter platform for Mahindra (in its Utility avatars) it can be understood why they dont want to tinker too much with it.
In the previous decade there were CRDE variants of this churning out close to 100 Horses but without 4x4 .
I remember on one of my trips to Kenya driving a fresh off the line CKD 4 door Defender and how I felt the only way one could own the same kind of road presence in India would be in a properly specced Bolero. In a ideal world for people like me I wish a day comes when there is a Bolero which comes with the fun bits of the Thar.Now I am guessing the chances of that happening are bleak.
I like the way this version looks but underneath I am afraid it sounds fairly utilitarian.No offence to anyone, but it is something which would attract the rural user who needs a bit more flash with absolutely nothing for the enthusiast.

Most Viewed