Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 11:30   #1
BANNED

Supreme Court asks government to ensure 2 airbags per car

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Taking cognisance of a TOI report on automakers selling entry-level cars with a single airbag, the Supreme Court committee on road safety has asked the road transport ministry to take corrective measures to ensure that co-passengers in the front are protected with provision of additional airbag.

TOI had on October 8 reported how some companies have taken advantage of the government regulation to provide only one airbag in entry-level cars.

While the initial draft circulated by the road transport ministry over two years ago had proposed mandating two airbags in front, it was missing in the final draft.
Are changes in the final draft from the initial draft are due to the lobbying power of Maruti? I highly doubt that the it's due to lobbying by industry biggies.

Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 13:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court asks government to ensure 2 airbags per car

I have such mixed feeling about this!
I'm happy that the SC ruled in favour of safety but then I wonder if the SC can take cognizance of anything willy-nilly why can't it take cognizance of the fact that there are lakhs of pending court cases and then fast track those hearing? Argh!
In 2018, the SC had 193 working days. 193! I had more study days during my kindergarten! Or may be, I am oblivious of the intricacies of the working of the honourable SC. But it taking suo moto cognizance of random newspaper headlines and then passing judgements seems a travesty to the folks awaiting their trials.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks