Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 11:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

E-trio gets EV retrofitting certifications for cars & LCVs

Hyderabad-based E-trio Automobiles has received certifications for retrofitting sedans and LCVs with all-electric powertrains.

E-trio gets EV retrofitting certifications for cars & LCVs-etrio2.jpg

The company has got certifications for retrofitting the Dzire, Tata Ace and Alto from the ARAI and ICAT. It is now working to get another 15 models certified by the agencies.

E-trio gets EV retrofitting certifications for cars & LCVs-etrio1.jpg

E-trio Automobiles has developed EV kits that use a proprietary controller while the rest is sourced from China and South Korea. Its Alto and WagonR-based EVs are claimed to have a range of 150-210 km.

E-trio has a capacity to build 1,000 cars per month.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 11:52   #2
BHPian

Re: E-trio gets EV retrofitting certifications for cars & LCVs

From their website, the retrofitting kit has battery capacity of 17.8kWh and motor power is just 10 or 15 KW. While the battery is decent for cars like Alto and Wagon-R but motor power is low. But it will be enough for goods carriers like Tata Ace. For comparison, latest Tigor EV has 21.5kWh battery and 30KW power. They should concentrate on goods carriers like Tata Ace which will have heavy usage and ROI will be quicker and limited performance will be acceptable.

https://etrio.in/our-products/electric-kits/

Last edited by sri_tesla : 18th October 2019 at 11:53.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 14:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

This should provide opportunity to several private car owners who would want to retain their cars for sentimental value beyond 10 years (Delhi NGT regulations).

The RoI et. al. would not have any bearing for such heart transplant from fossil fuel to eV.

Old 18th October 2019, 14:50   #4
BHPian

This won't be scalable beyond a point. But will be a boon to when the axe come down on older, more polluting vehicle re-certification.
Old 18th October 2019, 14:51   #5
BHPian

I think there should be a universal kit with certification, like the aftermarket CNG kits. It is not possible to get certification for each and every car, and this certification for only select cars has limited the reach. I have been looking around for a suitable kit for my 2 decade old ikon for a long time now, but have not been able to find a suitable certified kit at an affordable price. I hope that the next 15 models to get certification also includes the ikon.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 23:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

So, I contacted them through their email ID for conversion of my Tata Nano to an electric car, and this is what I got in reply:-

Quote:
Dear Sir,
Thank You for your email.
We do not have a solution for Tata Nano currently.
Our currently available kits are certified for Alto, Wagon R, Swift Dzire and Tata Ace.
The cost of conversion starts from Rs. 6.5 Lakhs.
We will keep you posted on our new products.
Please feel free to contact us for more information,
Thanks & Regards,
Khushal Gouri,
khushal@etrio.in,
+91 8010970037
Now that's more than double the price of my original car, but will be helpful for others who may want to go ahead for converting their ICE vehicles to Electric vehicles. Hope it will be of help.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 07:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
So, I contacted them through their email ID for conversion of my Tata Nano to an electric car, and this is what I got in reply:-

Now that's more than double the price of my original car, but will be helpful for others who may want to go ahead for converting their ICE vehicles to Electric vehicles. Hope it will be of help.

Somehow the math does not look logical for these prices. Assuming , I have a 7-9 yr old car ,it could fetch somewhere between 1- 1.5 lakh in used car market. It makes economic sense to spend an additional 1.5-2 lakhs to get a mass produced EV like Tigor EV. For the additional 2 lakhs, you get reliable engineering , better support and new car.

If i were more emotional towards his/her 15 yr old car, then they would prefer not to change in heart. A change in heart is not always good.
Doo_Dev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 22:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:

6.5 lakhs for EV retrofitting is just too much and not justifiable. I am sure ARAI certification has something to do with the high costs. Something like Oneplus phones are water proof but too keep the costs low, they did not get any IP rating certified.

My friend recently visited Karol Bagh area in New Delhi for some electric conversion kits and they are charging 28% GST on the parts. This is not good. The cost of EV parts like Motor, Batteries etc should fall under 5% GST. Thes are not a luxury item and should not be taxed in such a way, it is for the environment. FAME II should address the GST on spares of EV's also.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 18:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I recently visited Ayyappa Society in Hyderabad for getting my vehicle detailed. It is cars paradise in Hyderabad. You will find all car resale stores, detailing stores, accessories stores, 3M brand, exotic car mechanic sheds etc.

When I was waiting for my car to get detailed, I was roaming around and I have noticed a new shed there and they were in to EV conversion as well. I inquired within, but they did not start operations yet. They are already taking orders for EV conversion for private registered vehicles. You can reach out to them at info@thinkelectric.in for quotations.

They are new and I have not seen any EV vehicle that they retrofitted in their garage. So I would suggest you to be cautious if planning for EV conversion of your Nano.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 29th October 2019 at 18:07. Reason: Added quotes
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks