Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 21:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra opens first women-run service workshop in Jaipur

The new rage of gender justice warriors in the name of equality is creating another set of exclusion club "gender exclusive".
This thing is nothing but PR exercise. Will be used for media coverage every now and then.

As noted by others, this size of workshop is good enough for very small jobs and thus will not turn profitable.

In any enterprise when bias (of gender, origin, birth etc) takes center stage of thought process, the enterprise will face existential crisis sooner than later.
CarJunki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 10:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
*SNIP* those women might have to deal with egoistic men who will most definitely say 'You should stay at home and have kids' if they can't fix a car !

Bolding mine.

Well, if they cannot fix a car, they have no business being in the business of fixing cars, don't you think?

And, to your point about having to deal with egoistic, belligerent or unreasonable customers etc., well, isn't that a part and parcel of running a business or being in any customer-facing role where you provide a service? If you cannot handle such things, maybe you should NOT be in such a role, don't you agree?

Please note, I am not saying this with reference to women - I am saying this with reference to anyone in such a role.

Should women be given a pass and be handled with kid-gloves just because they're women and somehow delicate? If that is indeed the case, then maybe the people who say women should not be in such roles are justified in saying it?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 10:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest complaints women tend to have on male run workshop the world over, is they feel they are treated in a condescending way. The feel not taken serious, taken for a ride.

It is similar in the car showroom when they are attended by a male sales representative.

Conversely, ask a female mechanic in a workshop how the male customers treat her and you are likely to get a similar answer; Again males might not take her seriously, do not want to discuss technical details etc. Again, these women feel the male customers do not take them seriously.

Until such time, society treats women in an identical way, we will see these initiatives, these sort of topics on forums, and the sort of comments as we see in this thread.All because of deep-rooted bias of men against women.

Nothing has ever changed in the world, without making a concerted effort to change what is wrong/not working.

I do not think this will do anything to change that male behaviour towards females. But it must be a relieve to women to know when they take their car in for a service they are not going be made felt stupid or belittled. Similar for the female mechanics.

Jeroen
Old 24th October 2019, 12:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
having an all lady workforce will sure ease the hesitations and will encourage more ladies to take up the trade.

In that light, I welcome this move.

--Anoop

I had the same thought. This can be a stepping stone for women to enter this profession and as they gain experience / confidence, move to mainstream workshops. For a newbie woman-tech, working in an environment dominated by senior male techies can be intimidating. (Though, one could argue that women have successfully broken into other formerly male-dominated professions without such a "stepping stone.")

Mahindra should look to regularly rotate staff out from here to their mainstream workshops. Eventually we reach a point where regular workshops have a more balanced techie gender ratio, completely obviating the need for an all-woman shop.
gautam109 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:58   #35
BHPian

This is an old post that I had stumbled upon and found quite intersting and valid points being made.

From a personal example, I was invited to my bestie's little girl's birthday. Most people had gifted her a dolls, dollhouses, kitchen sets, even doctor's sets, but I gave her a remote controlled car instead and even showed her what each part of the car meant and how to operate it. Would seem like notional activism to most people! But it was important (for me) that I was able to point out to her what her choices in life possibly could be.

Mahindra opens first women-run service workshop in Jaipur-zara.jpeg

While M&M may have indulged in a bit of PR here, at least they did show the women they employed and others, what their options were (not limited to just standing next to cars in an Auto Expo in skimpy clothes showing off slender white legs for the same PR sake).

Just wanted to ensure to make a point that gender disparity and discrimination is real. It is also sometimes subtle (a nod of an eye, a smirk), coercive (one feels it but cannot articulate it) and collective (through family and organisational DNAs).

A video that I found interesting about a different profession:
https://fb.watch/8ujLFCzmY8/

Discrimination starts under the garb of protecting women and keeping them safe, but results in controlling their moves - education, who their friends are, what professions they suit in, and teling them early what is best a man's job, and by not realising that women get excluded if you do not consciously include them!

A fair argument on the notionalism (or PR-ism) of the move of M&M creating discrimination against men. But we must recognise that to be able to change things, some notional activism is sometimes a necessary evil.

Last edited by DogNDamsel12 : 30th November 2021 at 13:02.
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks