Team-BHP - Of Safety and Irresponsible car manufacturers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Of Safety and Irresponsible car manufacturers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2143-safety-irresponsible-car-manufacturers-3.html)

I pray everyday for the Indian government to make Airbags, ABS, EBD and TCS a must on every car sold here. When I say the same to people in real life, the response I get is that I should've been born or should live somewhere else like America. Why should I have been born in America or even want to live there?? We Indians are everywhere where higher intelligence is needed (from NASA to the making of the B2 stealth bomber and to the online security of the Pentagon) and I believe that if we have the will we can do wonders in India.

I hope someday more and more people like me push for the features I have mentioned above to be made a must in all cars that are sold in India.

yo i would never zip any of the hyundais, mahindras and even honda over 100 ... have had swaying experiences right from santro to accord... german cars rule

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoombastic (Post 138392)
I pray everyday for the Indian government to make Airbags, ABS, EBD and TCS a must on every car sold here. When I say the same to people in real life, the response I get is that I should've been born or should live somewhere else like America. Why should I have been born in America or even want to live there?? We Indians are everywhere where higher
I hope someday more and more people like me push for the features I have mentioned above to be made a must in all cars that are sold in India.

Very true. If people say you should go to the USA, you should respond that we should probably then not have electricity, TV, computers, or cars at all, then.

Getting the vehicle dynamics right for a vehicle is extremely tricky and complex and requires highly skilled experts and testing equipment. The Product Development department of all INDIAN AUOTOMOTIVE manufactureres are still in their nascent stages in terms of expertise and experience, which is why if anyone decides to do something about it, they outsource it. And others try to get it right by trial and error method.

I also think that CMVR regulations does not have any testing parameters to measure vehicle handling before the vehicles are certified. Probably time that they started defining such standards including crashworthiness standards.

They had started thinking about making power steering mandatory for buses and for all trucks to come with factory fitted cabins. But even these things are not implemented I guess.

In fact several manufacturers use the services of specialized ARAI/VRDE drivers to pass the braking and other tricky tests - but you cannot expect such expertise from normal drivers.

Have you guys watched this TV show on car safety (either NatGeo or Discovery I forgot) but it conclusively proved that safety does not sell in immature markets. All vehicles that they tried to sell in the US in the 60s using the safety platform flopped. But now safety is a big factor there.
So, please don't lose heart. One day all the taxi wallahs in India will talk like Boombastic and that day India would be called a matured market. Not too far. Perhaps another 20 years.
On a more serious note, now that Mico has started making ABS here in India, the trend will catch on soon. Good start from Maruti in SX4
Sudipto

add swift for its puny tyres, i sent a feedback to maruti that it was a safety hazard.

Dont be alarmed. Makers of utility vehicles aka trucks are exempt from this in the west too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan (Post 138431)
yo i would never zip any of the hyundais, mahindras and even honda over 100 ... have had swaying experiences right from santro to accord... german cars rule

Maybe so but my sonata is rock steady at 175 kph and its a hyundai never owned a honda so cant comment but i agreed with the mahindra part its really scary above 80 to 90 kph on the scorpio

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockap (Post 485510)
Maybe so but my sonata is rock steady at 175 kph and its a hyundai never owned a honda so cant comment but i agreed with the mahindra part its really scary above 80 to 90 kph on the scorpio

I have never driven a scorpio on highways, but yesturday for the team-bhp meet in hyderabad, seen this one particular scorpio (2.6D) doing 150-160kmph and was handled greatly by one of our fellow bhpians, zenopio; ofcourse, it ran on wider tyres, much wider!!! 275 hankook tyres. You can check the scorpio here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-808.html

As far as the people are insensitive on safety the car manufacturers will continue to provide unsafe vehicles.

How can a scorpio do 150 to 160kph i thought the top speed was 142 to 145 kph

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockap (Post 485640)
How can a scorpio do 150 to 160kph i thought the top speed was 142 to 145 kph

good point,
i wasnt in the scorpio, so didnt check the speedo. But we were following the scorpio in a modified accent at 155kmph or was that the speedo error in the accent?? The accent was running on 15'' alloys and low profile tyres, the pics of both the vehicles and the speedo will be posted in the hyderabad meet thread happened on june 30th. I think the owner of that scorpio can clear your doubt on the top speed.

dudes this is shocking news indeed, thanks for the thread gto, hope they improve the handling on the scorpio soon!

even i drove the same scorpio kkr2k2 mentioned on the meet and found that it was not fit take the corners even with the wide tyres,and infact the guy slowed down many times on the trip compared to us (picked - up the speed again though) sedans due to the poor handling, no doubt he did the high speed as kkr2k2 mentioned but only when the road was straight enough with lesser traffic! and it needs a really large turning radius because of the wide tyres!

These comments re. the extremely poor handling of the scorpio are scary. Do they also apply to the new scorpio equipped with coil springs in the back? This major issue was not mentioned in the drive tests I wrote in french magazines. It does worry me considering that I seriously plan to buy one and that i am used to sedan cars.. i currently drive a VW Passat 6 cylinders 2.5liters which is steady like a rock..

:Shockked: These comments are scary and worry me big time since I plan to buy the newly launched scorpio in France.
The scorpio imported in France (actually named GOA) is equipped with coil springs in the back. Are the problems mentioned in the previous posts still valid for cars equiped with this redesigned suspension?? thanks!