Team-BHP - Odd things with the Civic
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Odd things with the Civic (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21474-odd-things-civic.html)

My boss bought a Civic auto with paddle shift. The car (we all hope) it replaces is a 1995 Cielo Auto. He didnt want the Accords or Lauras as they were too big, and he drives his cars, no driver business. Hence his decision making happened pretty fast. I tried to sell him the RS. But he opted for the more modern fully loaded version of Civic. So far so good.

The day he got the delivery, I get a call. "Can you come down to the basement? I got the car and I have a problem". Stepping into the basement, I was wondering what the problem could be when I saw the black beauty. Wow! Gorgeous. (Though the Si rear cluster would have made it look better, and, it looks nicer in dim lights)

Anyways, he was holding a cassette tape and trying to find a slot to push it in. Can you believe that?!! I tell him, "Boss, this is 2007. Lots of things have changed in the last 10-12 years!" So he say, "Oh, so it is a modern marvel? Let me see how I can hook up my Blackberry on this thing then." I say ok. 30 minutes later we realize that the car isnt so "fully loaded" after all :-)

The title of this post is the subject line of his mail the next day: Odd things with the Civic

<verbatim>

1. Didnt come with fog lamps, 15k extra
2. The trip computer is brain dead, it only gives distance traveled, no average mileage, no range left
3. No proximity sensor for reversing
4. No safety lights on doors when you open them
5. No tape in the music system, no blue tooth either. 6 cd changer comes standard though.
6. No traction control on the Indian model
7. Has volume/ channel control in the armrest of the back seat!
8. Back seat wont fold down
9. Tool box floats around in the boot
10. Digital speedmeter very annoying. For every kilometer change, the display which is in the near horizon, changes

</verbatim>

Please read within quotes

Quote:

Originally Posted by determinus (Post 376659)

<verbatim>

1. Didnt come with fog lamps, 15k extra - STD on RS
2. The trip computer is brain dead, it only gives distance traveled, no average mileage, no range left STD on RS - Civic only has trip meter
3. No proximity sensor for reversing STD on RS
4. No safety lights on doors when you open them
5. No tape in the music system, no blue tooth either. 6 cd changer comes standard though. Welcome to 2007
6. No traction control on the Indian model STD on RS
7. Has volume/ channel control in the armrest of the back seat! in his case, so what
8. Back seat wont fold down STD on RS
9. Tool box floats around in the boot - no info to comment
10. Digital speedmeter very annoying. For every kilometer change, the display which is in the near horizon, changes not on an RS
</verbatim>

With the Civic, he gets resale and service...also flappy paddle auto

To add to Ajmat's post he also gets more space in the back which is not important in your boss's case and slightly better mileage.

Im surprised the civic does not have split folding seats.

Plus you save 2 lakhs with the Civic.

Quote:

Digital speedmeter very annoying. For every kilometer change, the display which is in the near horizon, changes
Isn't there an option to switch off the digital speedo ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 376671)
Plus you save 2 lakhs with the Civic.

More like 3 Lakhs. He would also save quite a bit of money on servicing, Fuel costs & resale like Ajmat mentioned.

But yes Honda's are stripped down in India with the Accord upgrade being the first time they've come with toys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 376688)
Isn't there an option to switch off the digital speedo ??

nope you cant switch it off. And It does not change for every km. If you accelerate hard it jumps up. It has a fixed refresh rate. So if you hit the at 20kmph it will not increment by 1kmph but show you like 20-27-35-40....

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 376705)
nope you cant switch it off

I think the sales guy had mentioned that it can be dimmed. No such option too ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 376866)
I think the sales guy had mentioned that it can be dimmed. No such option too ?

it can be dimmed ..infact it has different brightness levels...all one needs to do is press the plus minus button.

AFAIK, it can be dimmed but not switched off completely. If you do so, how do you know your speed?

Also, some people complain that during night driving, it creates a distracting reflection on windscreen.

I does not reflect on the windscreen at night as it's inside a shade.

It can be dimmed but only till a certain level.

I dont understand why these are odd things. Honda's fully-loaded model need not have the same features as a full-loaded car from any other manufacturer. IMO, Each is entitled to his definition.

True condor but somethings are silly to be left out. I believe it does not have variable speed intermittent wipers as well.

The fiesta has a distance to empty. There is nothing like that in a 13L car.

No foldable seats is silly. They have done the same to the city. It is sold elsewhere with foldable seats. Why remove for india?

No foglamps in a 13L car. thats ridiculous having a blanked out plastic on the bumper of a 13L car.

Plastic side steps on the door sills are also missing. these are necessary to prevent scratching the paint with your shoes. heck my 7yr old lancer had these.

the accord plays only audio cd no mp3? reason from honda:

"Executives who buy the accord will not listen to mp3, they will buy audio CD's only"

Nice list Determinus. It would have been better if he opted for the RS as Ajmat listed. He might not have worried about resale, FE, service and all other negative factors on the RS considering the fact that he has been driving an automatic 1995 Cielo and drifting on it :). 12 years with a car whose manufacturer is gone and authorized service stations are extinct, forget getting genuine spares easily.

I am sure he would have enjoyed the RS although drifting on it wouldn't be as easy as the Civic.
LOL! I gotta meet him someday.

Very very OT:

Honda seems to be having problems with their odometers atleast in the US,
[quote]
Honda is notifying 6 million owners of Hondas and Acuras that they are entitled to warranty extensions and, in some cases, payments because odometers in their vehicles rolled up miles too fast.
That made warranties expire too soon and hit some lease customers with excess-mileage penalties.[quote]

Source:
montgomeryadvertiser.com*::* Honda to extend odometer warranty

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 376705)
nope you cant switch it off. And It does not change for every km. If you accelerate hard it jumps up. It has a fixed refresh rate. So if you hit the at 20kmph it will not increment by 1kmph but show you like 20-27-35-40....

Hope this is not too far OT, but there's a point to make.
Do you remember your first digital watch?

My father gifted me Casio's first digital watch on 1st Dec. 1978 on my 21st birthday.
It had a simple LCD digital display.

I noticed that it took a while to imagine times like 18 minutes for the college gates to shut.

IMHO, I feel that a flickering digital speedometer with an indecisive LS Digit jitter
would distract in a way no wavering analog needle ever would.

Ram