Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 10:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo India: Removing safety features from its cars!

Guess what we are seeing is the dark side of competition. If other are not giving advanced safety features why should we. Though a few of us would want the safety aspect, a majority of the people look at it as an unnecessary cost. A country where a discount is epitome, safety features will be the first to be compromised. That's why Indian manufacturers generally never offered ABS as standard in lower segment cars.
frewper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 12:32   #17
BHPian

As an XC60 owner with all those features, am really disappointed to learn that Volvo is planning on discontinuing them.

I don't mind the power folding rear backrest feature or the heated rear seats as I have hardly ever used them but BLIS and CTA are extremely useful IMO. Yes, BLIS is usually flickering in our traffic conditions because of sheer density of traffic on our roads but then there have been times it has come in handy on relatively deserted stretches of road, when I have missed a two wheeler or a cyclist, especially at turns. As for CTA, its useful when reversing out into a busy road.

The feature I enjoy the most is the Air suspension. The ride quality is so much better with it, given the quality of our roads, especially here in Hyderabad. As for the HUD, it's not something you use on a regular basis except maybe to check your speed, but it does have it's uses on highways (speed limit indication, navigation etc.).
sunny310c is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 13:27   #18
BHPian

I am not sure in reference to the other models, but for the XC90, Volvo has year after year, reduced a few features quite discreetly. MY2019 momentum lost out on electric tailgate and paddle shifters while price remained unchanged.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th November 2019 at 14:31. Reason: Please only use smiley from the lot we've here. Thanks.
aman-bh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 13:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Guess what we are seeing is the dark side of competition. If other are not giving advanced safety features why should we. Though a few of us would want the safety aspect, a majority of the people look at it as an unnecessary cost. A country where a discount is epitome, safety features will be the first to be compromised. That's why Indian manufacturers generally never offered ABS as standard in lower segment cars.

I don't think this is applicable in this price range. Volvo doesn't have the same rep as the germans or other luxury brands and for me its u.s.p are these safety features.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 13:55   #20
BHPian

I wonder , what then is USP of Volvo now if not for safety?
They can't beat Mercedes, BMW or Audi when considered luxury, driving dynamics or bling. Neither do they hold any advantage when it comes to dealership presence and density.
So, their top management is convinced that they can sell good numbers just on "novelty" factor !!!
Heart_Revs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

I sadly think this reflects the state of the Indian car market and the buyer's priorities - Volvo without safety features, Audi without Quattro

Either the buyers can't see or appreciate a brands' DNA or OEMs scale down products to try and appeal to uninformed customers who are too price sensitive
GeeTee TSI is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 18:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

They’ve taken some cues from Tata are they planning on making their cars affordable? How much are they planning to save from omitting these features? Are they getting handful of customers by doing so?

Our thread here which we discussed on Tata’s omission of features:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-new-cars.html (Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?)
Old 13th November 2019, 21:16   #23
GRV
BHPian

I have taken test drive of S 90 and XC 60. The sales rep told me that Volvo will be getting BS6 compliant models in 2020 . Since BS6 compliant models cost more, volvo has decided to reduce some features and keep the cost same. Hence reduction in these features.

While Bliss could be more nuisance than help, but cross traffic feature should have been there.

Post test drive, I liked the car for its luxurious cabin and safety feature and currently comparing it with X3. I am concerned about the sensus system, with only touch screen function. I am used to my mercs rotatory knob system and finding Volvo only touch screen controls very difficult. w

Would love to hear from owners who have started using this system and how they feel about it in terms of ease of usage ? Does one get used to it in some time or ?

Regards
GRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:28   #24
BHPian

Found this interesting video why Volvo is losing lead in Safety.

vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 23:00   #25
BHPian

^^ Very informative.
Sad to see Volvo losing out on it's unique limelight. But then, technology is improving and you really can't argue with the fact that there are indeed many cheaper cars that provide equal, if not more safety and this is going to continue. Volvo's got to up their game. Removing CTA and BLIS though, is the most confusing thing ever. Why do that??!

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 28th November 2019 at 23:14.
Old 20th May 2020, 16:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Volvo has announced that all its new cars across the globe will now have a limited top speed of 180 kmph. New Volvo cars will also get a 'Care key' which allows Volvo owners and drivers to further set additional speed limits in addition to the 180 kmph top speed.

Volvo India: Removing safety features from its cars!-smartselect_20200520163804_chrome.jpg

Volvo says that after a certain speed, no safety technology can stop fatalities and serious injuries in cars and this is a step to avoid such a situation, particularly in Volvo cars.

We believe that a car maker has a responsibility to help improve traffic safety, said Malin Ekholm, head of the Volvo Cars Safety Centre.

Volvo India: Removing safety features from its cars!-smartselect_20200520163752_chrome.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/all-...0-kmph-2232190

Mods please move it to appropriate thread.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 01:18   #27
BHPian

Recently saw this commercial on YouTube. Looks like their future set of safety equipments will be interesting. Have a look:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks