Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo

Does not have the edge factor but not that bad also.Would have loved to see more lean towards the pre-existing SUV design in India with respect to Skoda.
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

All details of the ŠKODA VISION IN in its press release:

Quote:
- The VISION IN concept is 4,256 millimetres long, 1,589 millimetres tall and its wheelbase is 2,671 millimetres. These figures allow for optimal inner space and maximum variability — two of basic requirements of Indian customers, even for the most affordable of cars.

-The concept’s grille is highlighted by using crystal and illumination. Also, the two-piece rear LED taillights have a crystalline structure. The bumper meets the sturdiness requirement, its upper part having the same colour paint as the body, while the lower part is made of an aluminium spoiler. These two areas are connected by a wide air intake with a crystal-structured grille.

-The sides are accentuated by a typical tornado line, the rear part is dominated by sharply L-shaped LED lights, LED-illuminated ŠKODA lettering and a striking aluminium diffuser in the lower part of the bumper

-VISION IN concept’s interior, the latest technologies and materials merge with traditional Indian craftsmanship and the Czech crystal art. “In the ŠKODA VIVION IN model, we combine Indian and Czech traditions with the latest technologies. We also use classic materials such as exceptionally sustainable, chrome-free genuine leather along with vegan leather alternatives

-The interior décor pays tribute to Kalamkari, an Indian technique using wooden stamps to print traditional motifs on cotton textile. Traditional Czech crystal can be found on the dashboard or door-panel armrests. A crystal button on the instrument panel serves as a gate between the real and digital worlds

Power-train options:

Under the bonnet of the ŠKODA VISION IN concept is a 1.5 TSI petrol engine with 110 kW of power and 250 Nm of torque. The power is transmitted to the wheels through a 7-speed automatic DSG gearbox which uses the shift-by-wire technology with the gear selector not mechanically connected to the gearbox, relaying the commands electronically. Also the parking brake is controlled electronically.

The study stands on 19-inch alloy rims with 235/45 R19 tyres. In this set-up, the VISION IN concept accelerates to 100 kph in 8.7 seconds; accelerating from 80 to 120 kph takes 14.3 seconds. The concept’s top speed is 195 kph, which illustrates the capabilities of the new chassis platform called MQB-A0-IN.

ŠKODA AUTO India is sure that this SUV will usher in a new and glorious chapter in the history of the brand in India,” says Tarun Jha, Head of Marketing and Product at ŠKODA AUTO India.
Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0121440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_031440x960.jpg

The rear part is dominated by sharply L-shaped LED lights.

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0421440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0511440x960-1.jpg

Traditional Czech crystal can be found on the dashboard or door-panel armrests.

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0611440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0721440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0811440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_0921440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_1011440x960.jpg

The storage area in the front door can accommodate a ŠKODA stainless steel bottle with a practical and design closure.

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_1121440x960.jpg

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-vision_in_1211440x960.jpg

SAVWIN Media Night:

Source: ŠKODA

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd February 2020 at 20:11.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thats a mini Kodiaq! Although all SUVs of Skoda now look quite similar from the Kodiaq, Karoq, Kamiq and now the Vision IN, they all look good in their own way, just not unique. Very Audi like design language I would say.

However, this car, if it carries most of the design language to the production, would easily be one of the better looking cars, giving the Seltos a run for its money. Sure, Kia would walk way with volumes, but Skoda will retain its charm.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:01   #19
BHPian

The Koreans have taken the entry CSUV segment to a point where these Germans look lacklustre and outdated in terms of design, space and proportions. I will be more than happy if VW-Skoda is able to place the foot in the door with these 2 cars but the chances look bleak.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

That looks so much like a BMW would! I am pretty sure that BMW grilles would be a very popular aftermarket accessory, like how the Jeep grill is to the Vitare Brezza

Skoda to unveil Compact SUV concept at 2020 Auto Expo-bmw-skoda.png
aravind.anand is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

While it's great that Škoda and Volkswagen are turning to a more radical approach, I am sincerely worried that they will go down Honda's route. And let's not forget that these two brands were never really successful to start with.

The Vision IN looks great on the outside, but the interior is a bit too cheesy for my(and perhaps the masses') liking. The coloured interior panels seem okay on the VW Taigun, but in the Vision IN, it looks like one is surrounded in a sea of orange. The coloured panels, in my opinion, are a means of hiding cost-cutting. I know this is only a concept, but such slim seats and integrated headrests on a car likely to cost more than the Creta/Seltos will just not cut it here.

Let's hope that the build and interior quality of the new VW Group cars remains at least the same as before, or they risk losing the few customers they already have.

On an optimistic note, these SUVs seem to be decently equipped and are a refreshing change from the competition. If priced correctly, they have a huge chance of cracking the market, more than any other recent VAG concept vehicle.

Kudos to Zac Hollis for bringing this one to us.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 09:09   #22
BHPian

The VISION IN looks quite similar to the VISION X . Only difference is the headlights , taillights and front grill.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 4th February 2020 at 09:24.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post

The Vision IN looks great on the outside, but the interior is a bit too cheesy for my(and perhaps the masses') liking. The coloured interior panels seem okay on the VW Taigun, but in the Vision IN, it looks like one is surrounded in a sea of orange. The coloured panels, in my opinion, are a means of hiding cost-cutting. I know this is only a concept, but such slim seats and integrated headrests on a car likely to cost more than the Creta/Seltos will just not cut it here.
The "TAIGUN" is a production ready product (I think) by the looks of it. Apart from the body coloured panel in the interiors which even I am not a fan of everything looks sorted out.
As far as the Skoda goes, its definitely still in concept stage. I don't know about the large body coloured dash but You don't have to worry about those seats and the rear wood paneled armrest and the art decko touches in some places making it to the production version.
Everything will be toned down a notch (or two) in the production version
Those thin uncomfortable looking seats are a staple of Concept car designs

Last edited by ZenMaster : 4th February 2020 at 09:18. Reason: Spelling and grammar mistakes
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 10:38   #24
BHPian

This looks like BMW X1 on steroids. I remember Skoda's India CEO saying on twitter that due to traffic conditions, Indians prefer cars with dominating road presence and they will work on that in their new designs. Seems like they were able to deliver on that without losing their own design language
shobhit.shri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:01   #25
BHPian

Looks good to me! As somebody rightly pointed out, this is a mini-kodiaq on the outside which is a very good thing.

I am not too worried about jazzy interiors, as this is at a concept stage. But if they can pair it with 150 hp engine, similar touchscreen infotainment as per pics, virtual cockpit and sorted dynamics (which is generally a given for VW/Skoda group) - I think they will have a winner.

Only sore point is the timeline - as it is expected not before mid-next year, which is a tad late considering Seltos, new Creta, new Harrier and possibly some other entrants fully established in the market by then.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:20   #26
BHPian

Somehow I feel the design does not do good seeing their simple yet chiseled, European look of the current generation models.
The design is not something that will age gracefully. More cars are catching this trend of bigger mouth (grill) and non existent eyes (headlamp) with wider ears (fog housing).
While the VW Taigun has maintained its straight, uncomplicated looks.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:31   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the time frame and more details of VISION IN/ TAIGUN:

- All driven by costs at the right quality, thus aims at higher localization and different combination of gear boxes if feasible

- Skoda aims for 95 percent localisation of India 2.0 models, targeting 95 percent, which is possible if gearboxes are locally manufactured.

- Vision IN Concept -90 percent of what the production car will look like

-Will be almost entirely manufactured in India and launched in the first half of 2021 with a local content level of over 90 percent.

-Skoda Auto Volkswagen India is also studying the alternate gearboxes to replace the DSG or twin-clutch gearbox - 6-speed torque converter (seen on the Skoda Rapid), or even a CVT are being considered.

- Aims at 5 percent market share for Skoda and Volkswagen, which translates to around 1,70,000 units per year. Currently, the combined market share stands at a little under 2 percent.

Quote:
One of the decisive issues that we have to conclude is to find out how feasible it is to localise the transmission – not only one gearbox, but probably more than one. If that is something that is turning out to be positive, then we are on the course to go 95 percent
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th February 2020 at 11:37.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:04   #28
BHPian

Skoda was the early mover by bringing in Fabia but overpriced it to make it a dud in the market. It is not only the product but other aspects also which need to be taken care by the company to make the product succeed.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:02   #29
BHPian

Finally! It took them this long to read the Indian market. After years of dismal sales, I really want Skoda to pull off another Octavia. Yes, it will look great and yes, it will drive great and will be built great, but all of that means absolutely nothing unless Skoda address it's Achilles' Heel. Yes, there is a booming market for compact SUVs and hence, it may sell well, but all of that sales will plummet almost immediately if Skoda doesn't roll their sleeves up and tinker endlessly with their notorious A.S.S. Hard work pays, Skoda!
Also, it's GOT to be VFM. Surprisingly, Hyundai may have got away with the exhorbitant pricing of the Creta, but you do so and it may face it's doom sooner than the Yeti.
Personally, I prefer the Taigun's styling. The Vision IN's stance is way more obvious as a "hatch on stilts".
Also fix the damn DSG! Heck, why not use the 6-speed DQ250 like the vRS? The wet type is observed to be way more reliable.
Old 5th February 2020, 15:31   #30
BHPian

I'd rather that Skoda brought the original Kamiq and Karoq here instead of their cheapened versions. People who want to buy cheaper cars will buy cars from cheaper manufacturers. Skoda can't get those customers to switch.

What Skoda should target are customers who love Skoda cars but are put off by their ASS and reliability. Once they fix those two things, they'll do much better. Just like they fixed their parts costs by switching to local manufacturing instead of importing them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks